News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 10 1909 Settings Screen suddenly changed!

Posted on LHiggins Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Win 10 1909 Settings Screen suddenly changed!

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        LHiggins
        AskWoody Plus

OK – not sure what is going on, but this morning I opened my husband’s Win 10 1909 laptop to check WUSHOWHIDE and found that the main settings page has changed. It now has a banner across the top with options to Sign In (I AM signed in) and info on OneDrive (which I do not have) and Windows Update. That definitley wasn’t ever there. Not sure where that came from, but something has changed, Here’s what it looks like:

Settings-screen

Also – When I tried to restart to see if it would go away – at the sign in, there was an on-screen keyboard that popped up – never saw that either! I could use my keyboard and haven’t seen that again, but…

I didn’t get any updates recently – the last were the two from Sept – KB4576484 and KB4574727 – both downloaded on 10/4/20. Both KB4023057 and KB4576947 are still on the WUSHOWHIDE hidden list and as far as I can see, neither were downloaded by looking at the update history.

No other MS updates show in WUSHOWHIDE to be hidden, and there are none now listed in the WU screen – but there is this strange new Settings page.

Any ideas where it came from or why? Gotta say I really do HATE Windows 10.

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 3 days, 9 hours ago by LHiggins.
        • This topic was modified 3 days, 9 hours ago by LHiggins.
        Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2305186 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss
        • #2305197 Reply
          LHiggins
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks! Missed that one. But – if it is a server-side change – why did it just suddenly appear? It wasn’t there yesterday when I checked WUSHOWHIDE and looked to see what updates there might be. The last time it checked for updates was yesterday morning – I didn’t see the change till today.

Shouldn’t there have been something that downloaded, or some indication of what caused the change. I’ve had 1909 since March – now build 18363.1082, and this is the first time I’ve seen this banner. Just seems strange that as hardened as you think you are against any unauthorized MS tinkering, something always seems to slip through.

Thanks!

• #2305205 Reply
        NaNoNyMouse
        AskWoody Lounger

That unwanted, superfluous, non-removable, banner popped up for me too (I’m on 2004) a couple of days ago

It’s endlessly irritating when things like that change without warning, but it’s almost like they’re saying: “Hey look, it’s our OS, not yours. We can do whatever we like with it, whenever we like”

And they’re right, they can. And they do

(I wish they wouldn’t though…)

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2305212 Reply
        LHiggins
        AskWoody Plus

Indeed! And thanks – makes you wonder what else is going to suddenly change without warning!

• #2305217 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

Often these days Microsoft will roll out changes gradually. That way they get reaction and reliability data.

--Joe

• #2305221 Reply
          LHiggins
          AskWoody Plus

Too bad there isn’t any notification of the change – and who gave them the right to just download something onto my computer? I am pretty careful with any downloads, and wonder how this got by and installed. Sad…

• #2305223 Reply
            joep517
            AskWoody MVP

Since it is a server-side change then the only thing downloaded to you was data and probably a script. This happens all the time with web-based apps. Besides, this is part of the OS and your EULA allows Microsoft to change the OS as it sees fit.

--Joe

• #2305219 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Indeed! And thanks – makes you wonder what else is going to suddenly change without warning!

You mean like installing Office store application behind our back ?

https://www.askwoody.com/2020/microsoft-experiments-with-pushing-office-progressive-web-apps-onto-win10-machines-without-your-permission/

• #2305224 Reply
          joep517
          AskWoody MVP

So far, this is limited to those in the Insider program. You agree to any manner of experimentation when you are on the DEV channel. There is no promise this will make it to general release although it seems likely it will.

--Joe

• #2305225 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

These people are not in the Insider Program.

4 users thanked author for this post.
            • #2305232 Reply
              LHiggins
              AskWoody Plus

Correct – I am not in the insider program! I wonder what’s up…

• #2305276 Reply
              joep517
              AskWoody MVP

My comment was a reply to Alex5723 about pushing Office PWAs. To my knowledge, the Office PWAs are being pushed to Insiders. Neither the OP nor MicroFix said they had the Office PWAs.

--Joe

• #2305240 Reply
        JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

I have One Drive disabled. And I use a local account only. The only thing I get on the header is Windows update notifications.

• #2305245 Reply
        Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

I’m not in the Insider program either. (Never ever have been and doubt I ever will be.)

What’s interesting to me is HOW the change was made remotely to my PC.

For example, I didn’t have this Settings header on a test VM 2 days ago but do now… and it shows Windows Update as, umm, Up to date.

As a VM used for testing I have it locked down so Windows Update doesn’t interfere.

win-update-header01

I checked and the Services MMC shows that the Windows Update restriction is still in place. I did a double-check and, in an elevated PowerShell window, entered wmic qfe list. The results showed that the last Windows Update was last year:

win-update-header02

The result wasn’t nicely formatted for a screenshot so I entered get-wmiobject -class win32_quickfixengineering. That gave me a nicely formatted result… but the day/month looked transposed… so I checked the MS catalog:

win-update-header03-4517389

Anyway, despite this anomaly I’m confident that the new Settings header is inaccurate when it comes to Windows Update status.

Wondering how the change got in I checked Windows Defender (or Windows Security or whatever it’s called this week). This showed that its background update mechanism is working:

win-update-header04

Hmmm…

Then I remembered that 2 days ago I had setup Nir Sofer’s CurrPorts to screenshot how to monitor remote connections (for this AskWoody thread) … and had just left it running. I checked the CurrPorts log file and it’s grown to 638KB in less than 2 days… which – for a log file recording each remote network connection on a single line – is *enormous*! I’m going to have a look at it (and the event logs) to see if any provide a clue to the mechanism that changed the Settings UI.

PS – I’m also looking into how and why my desktop wallpaper display of BgInfoprovided system info has also been changed. The VM has been sat there doing *nothing* for 2 days except log remote network connections. IMO it’s absolutely ridiculous having to waste time tracking down the reasons for unwanted changes to my preferred setup.

Attachments:
        • #2305252 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Well, we have known for a long time that they change the taskbar in the background. It’s version changes.
          Why are we surprised that other things change? Probably a lot of other things.
          And everyone thinks they have things under control with the tweaks they make and third-party blockers.

You are wasting your time.

I love my Macs!

• #2305254 Reply
            Rick Corbett
            AskWoody_MVP

Windows is now like buying a car and having the manufacturer determine your destination each time you drive it… 🙁

“Yeah, it might be raining but we’re just going to lock the windows in the down position and open the sunroof. Enjoy…”

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2305357 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

My comment was a reply to Alex5723 about pushing Office PWAs. To my knowledge, the Office PWAs are being pushed to Insiders. Neither the OP nor MicroFix said they had the Office PWAs.

They are pushed to stable Windows 10 2004 users too.

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/10/18/microsoft-ads-office-web-apps-advertisement-to-windows-10-pcs/

• #2305421 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

@LHiggins, for more clarity there’s an article published yesterday over on Techdows

UPDATE October 18, 2020: The Settings Header is now rolling out to everyone running Windows 10 2004 and older editions. This is a staged rollout.

Win8.1 Pro | Linux Hybrids | Win7 Pro O/L | WinXP O/L
        • #2305436 Reply
          LHiggins
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks! That explains things, but the most disheartening part is this IMO:

As of now, there is no way to disable this. Microsoft warned not to use third-party tools to enable or disable the new Settings UI when the feature was introduced.

Very intrusive, and if it is going to keep changing at will – that isn’t good.

Thanks for the link!

• #2305454 Reply
            LHiggins
            AskWoody Plus

And just to ask – how exactly is this feature “rolled out”? Is it included somehow in the checking for updates process that Windows does automatically? Does that mean that theoretically, each time Windows checks for updates, it also downloads various changes to Win 10 whenever it wants?  What about if you have your connection set to metered? Obviously that doesn’t stop it, at least not in this case…

• #2305457 Reply
              Microfix
              AskWoody MVP

And just to ask – how exactly is this feature “rolled out”?

well my interpretation of what has happened is, that CU patches already have embedded code within,
              activated by time, online activity or when MSFT feel it’s ready to roll out (unproven gut feeling)
              I can’t think of any other method how MSFT would do it otherwise. sigh

• #2305462 Reply
                LHiggins
                AskWoody Plus

Thanks! Makes sense, but sounds like a ticking time bomb to me! Wonder what else they’ll surprise us with! 🙁

• #2305464 Reply
                Microfix
                AskWoody MVP

Wonder if this is also happening to Enterprise/ Education editions of W10 or whether it’s solely Home and Professional editions.?

• #2305849 Reply
                EP
                AskWoody_MVP

Wonder if this is also happening to Enterprise/ Education editions of W10 or whether it’s solely Home and Professional editions.?

have not yet seen the new screen on Education & Enterprise editions

• #2305463 Reply
                JohnW
                AskWoody Plus

I can’t think of any other method how MSFT would do it otherwise.

Server side?

• #2305850 Reply
                EP
                AskWoody_MVP

I can’t think of any other method how MSFT would do it otherwise.

Server side?

not on Windows Server 2016
                don’t know about Windows Server 2019

• #2305875 Reply
              anonymous

While running TCPView I see that the Settings app (SystemSettings.exe) makes frequent tcp connections back to the mother ship while you are running it.  Could be that’s how this change was pushed out.

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 10 1909 Settings Screen suddenly changed!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.