News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 10 2004 hangup

Posted on globalist Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    • This topic has 13 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

I had not intended to update to 2004, but it appears that my hp Envy laptop started that update Thursday afternoon after I had to reboot for other reasons.  Things seemed to be going well, until I reached the 91% complete threshold.  It has “hung” there (at 91%) for about 8 hours.  [The “activity circle” continues to circle.]

How can I safely stimulate the system to complete the installation?

[Something similar happened several years ago.  That time I forced a system shutdown, waited a few minutes, and restarted the system.  It picked up and finished the installation.  However, I consider this risky business.]

• #2288492 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The only option it to power off (hold the power button down) and restart. It is risky but after 8 hours there isn’t much choice.

If you disconnect from the internet first the update may not restart, which will give you time to add a registry value to prevent the upgrade – you need to reboot after the registry change.
        https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/win10-version-2004-deferrals-gone-from-the-user-interface-but-theres-a-little-known-registry-key-thatll-keep-new-versions-off-your-machine/

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2288609 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks.

After powerdown and restart, the system spent about 20-30 minutes undoing the attempted changes and now works.  However, when I try to find the installed system info (including the version of Windows active), the About window does not populate at all.  [On my other two pcs I find I am on 2004 on Win 10 Pro (one year old pc) and on 1909 on my oldest (9 years old) all-in-one, which had been upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 home several years ago.]

Will the lack of “about” info lead to problems with future upgrades?

• #2288611 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

Reboot and check About again.  If it’s still not populated, open a Command Prompt and type:

winver.exe

then hit Enter.  What does that tell you?

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by bbearren.
      • #2288615 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

Win 10 Pro version 1909.

Any reason why the “About” screen should be blank?

• #2288616 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

addendum:

The only options I have re power are “update and shut down” or “update and restart”.  Can I ever restart again without getting a hanging install of 2004? 

• #2288675 Reply
          bbearren
          AskWoody MVP

Can I ever restart again without getting a hanging install of 2004?

Open an elevated Command Prompt and type:

net stop wuauserv && shutdown /r /t 0

and hit Enter  (the last character in that string is zero, not the letter o).  That should restart the computer without invoking the update.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
          "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
          "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by bbearren. Reason: clarification
      • #2288711 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

I used to have the discipline of running Belarc Advisor before system updates, but I have not done this regularly in two years.  Belarc also hangs on the laptop in question (works on my other two pcs).

I recall that there is a procedure for  checking the Windows 10 software and replacing components that fail verification.  I will see if I can find on the web how to do this again.

• #2288713 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

Oops.  When I try the script above at a command prompt, I next see:

System error 5.

Access is denied.

Do I need an additional permission or something?

• #2288716 Reply
          geekdom
          AskWoody Plus

Try opening the command prompt as administrator and then use the “script'”.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
          offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 WindowsDefender
          online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.1082 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox81.0 WindowsDefender
          TargetReleaseVersion=1909
          WUMgr
        • #2288719 Reply
          bbearren
          AskWoody MVP

Do I need an additional permission or something?

Yes, @geekdom is correct.  I’ve edited my reply to reflect that.

• #2288756 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

Thank you all for your help.  This story has a happy ending.

When I tried the above, “things” got worse and worse.  The pc eventually just sat there.  I took a chance and did a forced power off (again) and a restart.  During the restart it installed several files.  When it came fully up, it was fully functional – still at the Win 10 version 1909 stage, but working.  Even the “About” page is fully restored.

NOW – my main remaining concern is about what will happen when I try to reboot  (or simply turn off and later restart the pc.  Will it force the 2004 update and – if so – will it complete or hang again?

Unless I hit a snag as on the previous paragraph, I’ll just consider this matter closed, and thank Win 10 for some of its self-healing qualities.

• #2288757 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

At the time I wrote the previous “final” message I had not seen the two messages re trying as administrator, so I had not tried that – something I had wondered about, but not tried.

• #2288769 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Have you set Windows to not update to 2004?

You can tell Windows to roll back anything outstanding.

In an elevated command prompt, run these commands: (note any errors)
        dism /online /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions
        dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
        sfc /scannow
        Restart the computer.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 10 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 10 2004 hangup

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.