News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 10 Audio Volume Boost

Posted on Travasaurus Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Win 10 Audio Volume Boost

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Travasaurus
        AskWoody Plus

I just got a really nice Miccus Home RTX 2.0 Bluetooth transmitter that works like a charm with my GRDE GL021 Bluetooth earbuds but I can’t get enough volume out of the things (earbuds) for my crummy hearing. Windows OS internal volume and Windows Media Player (same is true for the Groove Music player) are cranked-up to 100% (along with the earbuds’ volume, of course) but when I listen to spoken-word podcasts it’s just not loud-enough. The music volume (MP3 or WMA music files) is more than adequate but not the spoken word.  It’s connected via USB cable. Any suggestions about how to boost or amplify Windows 10 Pro “internal” volume?  Thanks!

• #2286890 Reply
        bratkinson
        AskWoody Plus

Like the OP, I suffer from age-related and hereditary hearing loss.  According to my latest hearing test, I’m in the ‘moderate’ range, but getting worse.  Even my 1 year old hearing aids, ‘customized’ to my hearing loss don’t make understanding speech on TV or computer videos any better.

After years and years of wired headphones which gave me headaches after an hour or so, I finally decided to experiment with bluetooth devices for my TV and laptop computer about 2 years ago (I have amplifying speakers on my tower system).  I first tried BT earbuds, but I couldn’t get them to fit comfortably despite multiple size pads/foam.  I returned those to Amazon and tried a different brand and got similar results.  So I tried a BT speaker.  Better, but useless for stereophonic sound.  That now sits unused (I had it too long to return) so I tried BT headphones.  The bulk of them gave me headaches from squeezing my head too hard.  At least the cheapo wired headphones allowed some bending of the over-the-head piece to reduce headaches, the headphones were more difficult.  I think it was the third brand I tried that I COULD bend the headpiece to make it more tolerable.  I still have those.  So it was back to ear buds again.  I went through maybe 2 or 3 more brands of earbuds until I FINALLY found some that were comfortable AND loud enough!  There’s still times with the TV as well as my laptop that they don’t get loud enough to hear without straining.  So I either watch/listen to something different or switch to wired head phones, or the BT headphones.  My complaint with the BT headphones, indeed, all headphones, is they are quite bulky when packing for a trip – even those that fold into themselves.  I pack very tightly, and space is at a premium.

I think my bluetooth ‘testing’ resorted in 5 or 6 returns to Amazon each within 3-5 days of arrival.  I always carefully unpacked everything and kept all the boxes, internal stuffing, baggies, etc.  I was extra careful not to mark or scratch anything as well.  Maybe that’s why they didn’t cut me off for having too many returns.

Almost forgot:  For Youtube videos I’ve downloaded that are just too quiet, I use video editing software to crank up the volume as needed.  Adding ‘compressor’ effects really makes them sound ‘full’.  Audio ‘compressor’ is counter-intuitive based on its name, but my big time audiophile friend proved it’s great, especially with his $1000+ compressor thing in his high end system.  I’ll stick with the freebie digital compression.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2286898 Reply
          Travasaurus
          AskWoody Plus

I’m there! I guess I forgot to add that I’m listening from my front porch (otherwise I’d just crank-up my analog speakers).  But what brand “did the trick” for you? I did a ton of preliminary research on the earbuds and I like everything about ’em except that their small form-factor (apparently) just don’t have enough “juice” for the volume to go high-enough.  For the person of average hearing they’d probably be quite sufficient.  I’m trying not to send ’em back because I hate to be 1 of those “return guys”.  If I could wring some more volume out of my computer they’d be just fine.   What brand did you get?  By the way, I just use 1 at a time so I can maintain my “situational awareness”. I live in kind of a funky neighborhood and I always have to keep “one ear open”, so-to-speak…

• #2287014 Reply
        bratkinson
        AskWoody Plus

I had to dig through a bunch of prior Amazon orders to find what worked for me:

Taotronics Bluetooth Headphones (2019 Upgrade) Wireless 5.0 Magnetic Earbuds Aptx 9 Hours Playtime

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2287063 Reply
          Travasaurus
          AskWoody Plus

I forgot ask if the earbuds were completely separate, or were joined together with some kind of wire or other attachment?  I need earbuds that are not attached to each other in any form or fashion and that can be used individually, i.e. in one ear only, which would require “mono” capability.  Thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 10 Audio Volume Boost

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.