News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 10 Clients cannot connect to Win 2016 Server Essentials

Posted on AKHandyman Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Admin IT Lounge Application servers – Exchange, IIS, Sharepoint Win 10 Clients cannot connect to Win 2016 Server Essentials

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        AKHandyman
        AskWoody Plus

Hello all, I’ve had a problem for some time with a number of Win10 clients suddenly not connecting to a server running 2016 Server Essentials. The clients were connected for some time (just for nightly backups only) and then sometime after a Win10 update (again I don’t remember when) the clients could not connect. No matter how many times I uninstalled the connector software, deleted install folders, cleanup clients, etc, etc, … the connector software would not work. My question is where to go with a problem like this. I’ve searched MS KB and nothing points to anything specific, but just generalizations on uninstalling/installing the connector software. I remember somewhere in reading that one of the feature updates “wiped-out” the connector’s ability to have the clients connect to the server. I need some answers. Thanks in advance

• #2286310 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
      • #2287991 Reply
        AKHandyman
        AskWoody Plus

Alex5723, thanks for responding. I’ve done all of what MS has suggested. The clients were all working properly. It was only after each client was updated with what I believe was the fall feature update 1904(?) Not sure … but the clients will not connect, no matter how many times I try with the connector software. After literally exhausting the forums, there’s still nothing that plainly explains why suddenly these clients can’t connect to the server.

• #2288005 Reply
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

If nothing helps restore the clients to previous Windows 10 version and block 2004 updates.

• #2288210 Reply
        kurtl
        AskWoody Plus

I also had this problem with my Windows Server Standard 2016, with the Windows Server Essentials Role installed. Past upgrades on the Win10 client machines would break the Client Connector between WSE and Win10, but multiple client reboots would get them back in sync. With my client upgrade to Win10 1909, that trick no longer worked, nor multiple Uninstall/Install the client connector, nor remove/re-add domain membership. The connector on the Win10 would be green and “Connected to <server>”. But on the server WSE Devices dashboard, it would show “Offline”.

What I found is you have to Uninstall the Client Connector (Control Panel, Programs and Features, Client Connector for Windows Server Essentials) *AND* delete the WAN Miniport (SSTP) connector (Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, Change adapter settings). Then you can re-install and they get back in sync (http://<servername>/connect).

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 10 Clients cannot connect to Win 2016 Server Essentials

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.