News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 10 digital licence problem

Posted on WSrcull999 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Win 10 digital licence problem

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        WSrcull999
        AskWoody Plus

I obtained a free update from Win8 to Win 10 July 2016. (Pro versions)

I created an image of the completely functional Win8 system and then installed Win10 on my current machine.  I then made an image of the very basic but functioning Win10 system before restoring my Win8 which I have been happily using ever since.

Now, I decided it was time to look at changing my machine to Win10 permanently, so I restored the Win10 image and tried to update it but it refused to update and I spent a few hours trying to discover and get around the problem but there was almost no information as to why the update failed so I had to give up.

SO, I did a clean install of Win10 1903 after converting the disk to GPT.  When I tried to activate Win10 it told me nogo.  I was surprised because I thought that the digital license generated by the upgrade was going to be stored somehow in the bios and so would be permanently available.

Any suggestions for activation would be helpful.

Thanks

• #2169708 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Probably too long between drinks, so to speak.

Restore W8, download W10 using the Windows Media Creation Tool, mount the ISO and try the upgrade.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2169711 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

Contact Microsoft support. They are generally pretty good about licensing issues if you explain the situation.

--Joe

• #2169751 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

… it refused to update …

… it told me nogo.

Actual error messages might help.

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

• #2169759 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I was surprised because I thought that the digital license generated by the upgrade was going to be stored somehow in the bios and so would be permanently available.

Any suggestions for activation would be helpful.

If I am not mistaken, for clean install you’ll need to activate with your W8.1 key.

You can always restore W8.1 and upgrade to W10.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Alex5723.
      • #2169967 Reply
        Al Taylor
        AskWoody Plus

In upgrading a number of computers to Windows 10 for my church, several times I resorted to doing a clean install after I previously successfully upgraded Windows 8.1 setup (which, FWIW, always “came up” activated shortly after initial startup).

After the clean install, several times these machines did not activate right away; however, they always did so if I left them online, sometimes for as long as a couple of days.

So I would recommend you try a measure of “long-term patience” and see what happens.

• #2170024 Reply
        WSrcull999
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks Guys.  All helpful comments – especially liked the patience one!

Then next in line I’ll try putting in the Win8 key again (I’d forgotten that)

Then maybe contacting Microsoft.

Then I suppose biting the bullet and going the upgrade path which I was hoping to avoid as those things seem often to go awry with OS Windows.  I guess I’m getting old and lazy (well old, anyway – 80 this year)  🙂

All help appreciated.

• #2170076 Reply
          JohnW
          AskWoody Plus

My assumption with the free upgrades to Win 10 was that we exchanged (surrendered) our original license to (Win7/8) for a new “digital license” for Windows 10.

As I recall, there was a period when you could revert from the upgrade and go back. Maybe Microsoft assumed you did that. Otherwise your Win 8 activation should be expired.

• #2170384 Reply
        WSrcull999
        AskWoody Plus

(JohnW wrote)  (Sorry, I can’t find how to quote a previous post correctly)

My assumption with the free upgrades to Win 10 was that we exchanged (surrendered) our original license to (Win7/8) for a new “digital license” for Windows 10.

OUCH!   Maybe that’s true.  Hope not !!!!      🙂

• #2170434 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

It is true, it’s an upgrade to your existing running Windows.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 10 digital licence problem

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.