News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 10 Home upgrade to Pro

Posted on norbus67 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Win 10 Home upgrade to Pro

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by

norbus67 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

norbus67
      AskWoody Lounger

I have a Win7 Pro desktop and will be getting a new PC with Win10 this year.  If it comes with Home, does anyone know if the free upgrade to Pro workaround using my (genuine) Win7 Pro product key still works?

• #343486 Reply

DavidForrest57
      AskWoody Lounger
    • #343714 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

if the win7 pro key is a retail key, then yes that one can be used to install win10 pro

• #343757 Reply

norbus67
      AskWoody Lounger

I bought the Win7 Pro PC direct from Dell, so I guess that would be a “retail key”. Thanks for the link to zdnet – I had that, but wondered if it still “worked” or if MS had stopped it.

• #343761 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

If it came from Dell with Windows on it, it is an OEM key, not a retail key.

• #343799 Reply

anonymous

Yeah, that’s right.  So, according to “EP” the free upgrade path mentioned earlier won’t work with that key?  Then the only way to get Win10 Pro on a new PC is to either buy one with it installed or pay the $99?  It seems most of them with it installed are directed to the biz market as network boxes and don’t have the specs (larger HDD, memory etc) I was looking for.

• #343803 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

It’s rare to find one with Pro on the shelf at the local tech store.
        I’ve had good luck ordering what I want from HP, Dell, or one of the online electronics vendors. You can request Pro, or shop the business side.

• #343807 Reply

Kirsty
          Da Boss

Locally, tech stores are the place to find Win10 Pro machines off the shelf; whereas the electronics and business-supplies retailers only sell Home machines, even though they are marketed at businesses.

• #343829 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Yeah… on new PCs. Refurbisher program licenses might come cheaper, but then you have to find an authorized refurbisher and settle for a second-hand PC.

Though some of those can be excellent value for money.

• #343810 Reply

anonymous

We have a MicroCenter here, so they have them.  Battling – because the nice $600 HP I’m looking at from Costco would come with a total 4 years warranty and 90 day return, using their card.  May be wise to either pay for the Pro upgrade or live with the Home version.  Thanks for ALL your good comments!

• #343836 Reply

DriftyDonN
      AskWoody Plus

Around the middle of Feb I was looking to upgrade from win10 home to win10 pro,

went to PCDestination.com and purchased a key for $55.00 Turned out to be for the full install version and worked just fine. Microsft help desk was very helpful(?) . Found out thru them the key was one that had been sold as a batch key but the company that bought the license didnt use up their quota so this company bought them and sells them cheep. Perfectly legal.

D

• #344003 Reply

anonymous

Drifty Don,

Does the download from that site have to be to the machine Win10 Pro (upgrade) is going to be installed on? Or can I download the key now and use it later on the PC I’m going to get?  Sorry – a little ignorant on keys and upgrades!

• #345252 Reply

cmptrgy
        AskWoody Lounger

I suspect that you will have to wait until you get the PC you want the software you want it to be installed on.

Note also that PCDestination.com is an Authorized Microsoft Partner: Always legitimate licensing. That is true but I doubt there will ever be any support from Microsoft.
        — Those companies are authorized to use legitimate keys, but they own them
        — It would be a good idea to find out what kind of support PCDestination.com provides, call them and find out.
        — At the same time, ask them if Microsoft support is also an option.

Another question to ask is, if you ever have to do a clean install, or if a troubled Windows Update becomes a serious problem, will you be able to recall the product you purchased from them.

I know of 2 users who purchased Microsoft software (Windows 10 Home & Microsoft Home and Student 2016) each of them from a different but similar Authorized Microsoft Partner company at very good proces.
        — Their products ran just fine for some time period but when problems occured they did not get support from the company the product was purchased from or from Microsoft.

Very important bottom line, regardless of which decision you make, create system image backups along with a separate data backup.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by
           cmptrgy.
    • #345263 Reply

norbus67
      AskWoody Lounger

I checked some online reviews of that site and decided not to take the risk.

Our MicroCenter has Win10 Pro computers, but not with the other specs I want, so may just get a Home version and live with it.  My computer use is limited to Office apps, Quicken, email and web pretty much.  I do daily backups with Backup Maker and weekly image with True Image.

Thanks much for your comment as it dovetails with the info I discovered.

David

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 10 Home upgrade to Pro

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.