News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 10 & my Old Toshiba Laptop

Posted on PeachesP Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Win 10 & my Old Toshiba Laptop

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        PeachesP
        AskWoody Plus

I have a perfectly serviceable Toshiba laptop used only occasionally. I have kept it updated up until Win 10 2004 because of the issues with older Nvidia drivers. My driver is 342.16 which is too old, with ver. 352 or 358 whichever is successful for install on 2004. The reading I have done says the driver issue has been “mitigated”, but I don’t know what that means. I can’t seem to find if/whether the driver issue will ever be fixed. Is 20H installable?

• #2307043 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        • #2307048 Reply
          PeachesP
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the info; will backup and then give the hotfix a try; the last time Toshiba provided a display driver was 2016(for my 10 yr old laptop 😉

• #2307080 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

what is the model & series number of your Toshiba laptop, PeachesP?
        run either HWInfo or Speccy to gather hardware details about your Toshiba laptop, including what kind of nVidia graphics hardware.

the issue between Win10 v2004 and old nVidia graphics drivers was “Resolved” starting with the KB4568831 update, according to Microsoft.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/resolved-issues-windows-10-2004#418msgdesc

Resolution: This issue was resolved in KB4568831 and the safeguard hold has been removed as of August 13, 2020. Please note, if there are no other safeguards that affect your device, it can take up to 48 hours before the update to Windows 10, version 2004 or Windows Server, version 2004 is offered.

btw, my dad’s Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A laptop is running Win10 v1909 Home edition and I may upgrade it to v2004 early next month but uses AMD Display hardware instead of nVidia graphics.

• #2307132 Reply
          PeachesP

My laptop is a Satellite A665-S6057. I got into the Windows Updates and completed them all including multiple updates for 1909. Much to my surprise, I was apparently “worthy” to download and install ver. 2004. I downloaded the hotfix to the desktop just in case. So far no burps. The update is installing now, but is painfully slow

I did not know about the hotfix or the fact that the issue with older drivers was resolved which is great news. My card is a 300M, BTW. I’ll post what happens shortly which is a relative term with such old hardware.

• #2307209 Reply
            PeachesP
            AskWoody Plus

Update went off w/o a hitch, but have been at it since 9AM. I see no hardware problems, Device Manager shows no yellow things so I guess I’m home free until the next go round. Didn’t need the hotfix after all. Interestingly, Nvidia control panel sports the current display driver ver. 342.01 which is the one from 2016. My video card is a GeForce 330M.

Can’t complain about this laptop and the good service it’s provided me all these years,nor can I complain about Windows helping me to keep it running for over a decade.

• #2307315 Reply
        JimT777
        AskWoody Plus

Read the comments at : https://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-fix-the-nvidia-driver-bug-on-windows-10-version-2004-530725.shtml

I followed the link, downloaded the latest driver package, and began the install.  After checking system compatibility, it wouldn’t proceed any further and showed a message saying the drivers were incompatible with my version of Windows.  Running Windows 10 v 1909 on an Acer desktop AX 5810 using nVidia GeForce G210.  Current graphics driver version is 342.01, which is too old and not compatible with Win10 v2004, so I guess I’m stuck with 1909 for now, unless someone has a suggestion for a fix that might work with my hardware.

• #2307319 Reply
        PeachesP

The update to ver.2004 worked for me. Apparently MSoft fixed it as OP EP indicated. My laptop took forever to get the download and get it to install, but it did.

I too tried the hotfix before doing the update and got the sam compatibility message, but in thinking about it, it would seem the “hotfix” is to fix an issue, namely a borked install.

In my case after doing all my 1909 updates, the message to download and install ver.2004 appeared and it did work for me. Maybe it’s worth a try after a backup. My Nvidia driver is also ver. 342.01 from 2016 the last time my GeForce 330M had an updated display driver

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 10 & my Old Toshiba Laptop

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.