News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 10 Pro, 1909. Update settings grayed out!

Posted on shirleylb Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Win 10 Pro, 1909. Update settings grayed out!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        shirleylb
        AskWoody Plus

Hi, I went to check my update settings before Tuesday, July 7 to make sure I was protected as usual and  for some reason in my Advanced Options, the feature update is grayed out and I can’t change it from 0 to 365, it won’t let me click on it.   It was set on 365 days since I got Windows 10 and also the “pause updates for 7 days” is even grayed out.  Any help, please?

Thank you!

Shirley

windows-10-advanced-options

Attachments:
      • #2277883 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Have you made any Deferral or Pause settings in Group Policy? If you set those settings there, the pulldown settings in the GUI will be grayed out or disappear.

There is information on this in AKB2000016 and screenshots at the bottom to illustrate. Sections 3 & 4 may help you.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2277894 Reply
          shirleylb

Thank you so much!  I had not even been in my Group Policy since I set up my Windows 10, so something must have put everything to “not configured.”  I did what your instructions said and I finally got the featured and quality so that I could use them and they are not grayed anymore.  I somehow got the pause so it’s ungrayed  now, too, and not sure I need that on.  I’ll work on getting that off.  But I think I’m covered.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me.

Shirley

• #2286073 Reply
        igno11
        AskWoody Plus

Hi, similar problem here, in the “uh oh” vein. Maybe I should be starting a new thread, not exactly sure what the protocol is here. I thought I had followed your (Da Boss’s) directions from the June 27th post to the letter, but my update settings are now grayed out as well. I am attaching a few screenshots that I hope will help. Thanks.

Attachments:
        • #2286078 Reply
          igno11
          AskWoody Plus

One more attachment…

Attachments:
        • #2286155 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

the deferral pulldowns in the GUI (Windows Update\Advanced Settings) are grayed out because you have settings in Group Policy under Windows Update or Windows Update for Business. Read through Section 4 of AKB2000016 – if you want those GUI settings active, the only setting that should be configured in GP is the “2” (notify download/install).

• #2286234 Reply
          anonymous

I did what Da Boss said and it worked great.  Even though I knew I hadn’t changed my group settings, I still did what he said and, sure enough, that was a problem.

Good luck to you!

• #2286256 Reply
          igno11
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks to both of you. I am making progress – could now download all updates en masse, now need to figure out on my Win10Pro how to defer the ones I want. The instructions are a lot to figure out. Thanks again.

• #2286259 Reply
          igno11
          AskWoody Plus

PK, are all of these safe, as far as you know? Did a little dive into reading about them on AW, but figured  you would know.

Screenshot-163

Attachments:
          • #2286269 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

KB4497165 is an Intel Microcode Update
            The two listed as Lenovo are drivers.
            I do not install the Microcode or drivers from Windows Update (personal preference).
            These are your choice – if you don’t want them, hide them with wushowhide.

The rest look OK – June CU, Flash, MSRT, .NET

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 10 Pro, 1909. Update settings grayed out!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.