News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Win 10 Pro Client 20H2 can’t access security group assigned folders

Home Forums Admin IT Lounge Win 10 Pro Client 20H2 can’t access security group assigned folders

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        IT Manager Geek
        AskWoody Plus

Hello, have a strange one in which a remote user is not able to access Domain enabled Security Group assigned folder permissions to a shared folder, but is able to access a sub-folder on that same shared folder that she’s been specifically assigned access by her login name, yet, she has no issues using Remote Desktop on another laptop (located at the office – same physical location as the corporate network) to access the same shared folders.  We use VPN to access our network and the shared folder is hosted by Windows Server 2016.  She’s the only one experiencing the issue.

This started last Thursday (before that there was no issues), and her remote – home location doesn’t have stable Internet (both by her own statements and my observance when remoting in to her machine).  We have since rebooted the machine, signed off and signed on and left the machine off over the weekend.

Reviewing AD’s Netuser command shows that the user membership to said security groups are intact (realize that statement was proven by her remoting into an office machine and having access, but had to check).

The Windows 2016 Shared folder has the default share settings in place (i.e. there’s nothing special added for offline folder access), not that I believe is being used nor did we setup that capability (any access to folders is done over VPN).

Look forward to any thoughts.  If there’s no further feedback or things I can try remotely, I’m going to try meeting with the user at the office this week (we’re under Covid work from home – office closed provisions) and seeing if connecting the machine wirelessly / physically will fix whatever is restricting access through Security Group assigned permissions.

Thank you,

IT Manager Geek

IT Manager Geek
        AskWoody Plus

Hello all, fixed.  The Mobsync (Windows Run command) and the shared drive network folder was set for Offline access, disabled it, rebooted the system and then all permissions were once again available.  I had a colleague recognize the symptoms and found https://www.technipages.com/offline-files-in-windows-10 that guided me through it.

Not sure how this was triggered to be “Enable offline files” as the person doesn’t have local admin and states they didn’t set it up.  Another mystery for another time.

Take care,

IT Manager Geek

2 users thanked author for this post.
        IT Manager Geek
        AskWoody Plus

All, I’m reissuing a request for input, as another of colleagues / non-admin user, had the Offline access enable, without any external change being done to request the change.  The issue as described initially above, started to take place, and it was due to Mobsync being enabled (which I then disabled, fixed the access to mapped network resources by security group).

Mobsync, assuming that’s the ultimate – only source for this function, is enabling Offline folders, where there’s no Group Policy or setup from Win 2016 Server to enable it.  Yet the standard setup of the clients have this function disabled before it is distributed to colleagues.

All of the clients are on the latest Win 10 20H2.

Look forward to your feedback and thank you in advance.

Take care,

IT Manager Geek

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Win 10 Pro Client 20H2 can’t access security group assigned folders

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel