• Win 10 September ’21 update (20H2)

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » Win 10 September ’21 update (20H2)

Author
    Topic

As we are advised, I just this week allowed the computer to update with the Sept. ’21 updates.  If there’s no warning beforehand, I’ll do the updates around the end of the month.  After the update this week, once again, the need to sign in with password showed up.  I’ve gotten rid of that before, so frustrating.  You’re hearing from a self taught, non-techie!  Is there a good way to eliminate the password requirement.  This is a home computer, only hubby and I use, no one else.  I tried the “…wiz” tip on one tech site.  The option to use NO password is already unchecked.  I need to write down the directions 🙂 when I find them, since this will happen again most likely.

I have Win 10 20H2

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Do you want to eliminate the password or just not use it to log on to the machine?

Are you using a local account or a Microsoft account?

--Joe

Mainly I don’t want to have to use it to log on to the machine.  It’s the Microsoft account that I had to have, I think it was starting Win 10.

In addition to any settings about passwords on your normal account, I would suggest creating a second administrator account that you never use, and add a password to it, and put that account name and password on paper in a safe place.  This will be helpful if in the future your computer locks you out.

Are you sure this wasn’t a prompt on returning from sleep or hibernation?

If it was, see Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com) for more help.

--Joe

No, I have no options selected to do that.  It happens every so often after a good ole update from MS, that the screen appears after updating, the next time I turn on the computer.  It’s because of the update definitely.

I’ve found a solution online before and it worked.  No password needed at all to launch my browser and begin.  Just haven’t found that solution yet.  Thank you, Joe.

OK, found it online again; I should have saved it last time this happened!  Very simple procedure, I just couldn’t remember the correct steps.  One solution online does not work.  The one that works is on howtogeek.com.  Involves settings, accounts, sign in option, change, confirm current password, next leave BOTH fields blank with no new password.

Maybe this will help others who are not experts!  Learning by doing!  Of course it’s only safe for a computer in your home that no other people touch.  Had it set this way for ages until the updates mess it up each time!

After the update this week, once again, the need to sign in with password showed up

Windows updates doesn’t change password settings.
      It is something else in your system (3rd party software, A/V settings…) that bring up login password requests.
      I run Windows 10 passwordless since Windows 10 1803 up to current 21H1 and I never saw a password login request.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: Win 10 September ’21 update (20H2)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: