News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 10 Update to version 1903

Posted on Paul_Pullen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Win 10 Update to version 1903

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author

Paul_Pullen
      AskWoody Plus

I have been trying to load version 1903 for the last couple of weeks. First, it died at 99 percent download and hung there for over an hour. Next try it made the download but died in the installation. The install died on some obscure error. Then I tried again and the “install” started. However, a while later it wanted to download again. That is over eight hours wasted using the Internet. Is there any hope that Microsoft will get the install right?

It is apparent that Microsoft can’t get it right. Yesterday, my laptop spent three hours “downloading version 1903,” and then downloading a patch for version 1809. It then spent five and half hours updating my system and also installing the 1809 patch. Several reboots were involved in the operation, and the results show up as Version 1809–NOT 1903. It now wants to download 1903 AGAIN.

All of this is going on and I am on a metered account–meaning if I was using my wireless, I would be out of luck for the next two weeks. I can’t count on Microsoft to do anything right, and I have two other laptops that need the update. The way this is going, I doubt I will ever get up to version 1903. Is there any hope in being able to download the 1903 upgrade and installing it locally?

Thanks

Paul Pullen

• #1913286 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Is there any hope in being able to download the 1903 upgrade and installing it locally?

Yes. You can use the Media Creation Tool to download and build 1903 ISO file and install offline.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Question : Why do you want the still buggy 1903 ?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  Alex5723.
    • #1913309 Reply

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

I just upgraded several machines from 1809 to 1903 with WU and they all went off without a hitch. Have had no issues with 1903 itself either after several weeks of testing.

As Alex said, you can use the media creation tool to download the ISO, that’s probably your best bet if WU is not working.

• #1915491 Reply

kiwisolutionz
      AskWoody Lounger

As Alex said, you can use the media creation tool to download the ISO, that’s probably your best bet if WU is not working.

Yes I can also confirm 1903 has been a seamless integration from day two … because on day one I forgot to disable “Winaero” which absolutely would not allow WU to update the build for 1903 (Duh!). I’m impressed with this OS, my old Laptop has also increased with energy and vim and also loved the 1903 W10 Pro x64 Bit upgrade on an HP CQ61 with 4GB RAM only. So this tells me that my other two later model Laptops will handle their upgrades very well when EOL comes around (never thought I’d say that; living on W7 Ultimate x64 Bit from day one). I’ll bet many others will also be impressed considering W10s’ beginings!!!, however, in saying this; none of my past several years would have been as great and enjoyable as they have been without the endless dedicated support of this here website guiding anyone who cares to where ever they need to go – !!!! BIG UPS TEAM WOODY!!!! Thank you for being an awesome “Light In The Dark” to someone who knew absolutely nada until google pointed me in your direction when i called for help (!) So many clever and empathetic people on this website; cheers all ; >)

If there is magic on this earth ... it's in the water.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1924644 Reply

WSmmi16
      AskWoody Lounger

I am on Automatic Update and my systems have yet to get updated to 1903 – I am still working with 1809.

• #1929091 Reply

WSmmi16
      AskWoody Lounger

You may just be in the queue.
      Have you received any other updates recently?

cheers, Paul

The mid-month ‘security’ updates.

• #1929425 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You may have software / hardware that 1903 doesn’t like.
        1809 will be supported for a while yet so I’d wait.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 10 Update to version 1903

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.