News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • win 10 updates

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 win 10 updates

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        qaz
        AskWoody Lounger

wow that was hard to find how to ask a question.

how can i stop win 10 home update, have tried everything [except telling pc i’m on a metered connection] on “ask VG.com”, including registry changes and other setting. but windows still updates. Windows has finally told me it hasn’t got enough space for further updates

this is a brand new pc Iota 2320 slim 14 with 28gb disk

i originally made change in registry to stop it updating past v 1703 but now its v 1903

i realize i should get another larger hd which i may do later but first i want to stop the up dates and maybe revert back to the earlier version along with the dangers.

extra questions:
        –is it ok the uninstall all the up dates.
        –am wondering why wasn’t it suggested that i just delete the “windows update” entry in services [there were at least 5 other methods listed but not that one, the articles were written by an expert, but they don’t seem to have a forum that i can find. maybe someone here knows 🙂

I’d very much appreciate any help before i lose patience and put win 7 on it
        thanx

thanks

• #2291183 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

I don’t know askVG.com, but….

Is the problem the lack of disk space on your C drive?

If so, clean up the gunk. Chris Hoffman has a detailed step-by-step on How to Geek.

If that doesn’t do the trick, let us know how much free space you have and we’ll come up with some alternatives.

• #2291217 Reply
        qaz
        AskWoody Lounger

thanks for that. ive got some space now but its only a secondary problem. i want to control or completely stop updates otherwise i will have my internet speed bogged down [as is usual]. also i will soon run out of space too. im not buying a new hhd just cause ms force updates on me

and i do realize the importance of security updates but the is just a pc for browsing in cafes etc

am happy to stick with the current win 10 version forced on me [unless you thinks its c*** in which case i’ll go backwards]

cheers

• #2291680 Reply
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

Win Updates Disabler v1.4

Win Updates Disabler is a very simple Windows OS software that helps you to completely disable or enable Automatic Updates on your Windows system. Moreover, it can help to disable or enable Windows Defender, Windows Security Center and Windows Firewall. Remember that it is important keep your system up to date for security reasons, however, if for privacy reasons or for any other reason you want to disable Windows Updates and the other Windows security services, this little tool is all that you need. This program works fine on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 (32\64-bit).

There is a portable version.

https://www.site2unblock.com/win-updates-disabler

• #2296956 Reply
        qaz
        AskWoody Lounger

thanks both people above. notifications not working so didnt know about replies. free space is very little, get error msg’s about it..

will try that software, sounds great, thanks

• #2296985 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

just a pc for browsing in cafes etc

Cafes etc.. are the most INSECURE places to use a PC. They are open to hijacking browsers, MITM attacks, identity theft…

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: win 10 updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.