News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 10 woes

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Win 10 woes

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

I have just, with the greatest reluctance, bought a Win 10 laptop. So far it has taken me 2 whole days just to get it somewhere close to the convenience of Win 7. Installing programs I can deal with, Classic Shell was the first one, but the settings… OMG. For instance I want to get a plain, no frills, no picture, blank desktop, with icons to start programs. How difficult should that be? I don’t need “exciting” pictures. Two days and that girl still hasn’t made it to the end of the beach. So the my first question is: “Is there any way to get a plain, uncluttered, desktop of my choice of colour?”

Many thinks for any suggestions,

David

Moderators note: Edited or content.

• #2223657 Reply
        anonymous

I feel for you David. I gave windows away when tje current version was 8. In a seniors moment recently I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 preloaded, mistakenly thinking it was coming with Office installed (excel is still the best spreadsheet). On opening the box I realised my error, but continued and spent the next 3 weeks trying to get MS working properly. It is now over 3 months later and the laptop is back in its box. My life is rebalenced with Android on my phone and tablet.

• #2223669 Reply
        Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

@rhino, if you are trying to get something like a plain, solid-color desktop, you can right-click on an empty area on the desktop, and in the context menu select Personalize (bottom choice on the menu), making sure you are at Backgrounds in the resulting Settings app. In the right-hand panel there, below the picture of your current background you can click on the arrow for Background and select “Solid color”. This will give you a background with no distracting image, in the color of your choice.

Let us know if you run into any other difficulties!

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2223879 Reply
        Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

Cybertooth that is PFM. I was clicking around all yesterday and getting nowhere; today 10 seconds and it was done. I feel better already, but I am about to try and network with this  piece of junk. I fear that will soon bring me down to earth again.

Thank you,

David

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 10 woes

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel