News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • win 1809 & win 1803 network problems

Posted on jwhiz56 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 win 1809 & win 1803 network problems

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  BobbyB 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

jwhiz56
      AskWoody Plus

I have 2 computers running WIN 10 ver 1809 and one running WIN 10 ver 1803.  in windows explorer, under ‘network’ the 1803 computer can ‘see’ the 2 1809 computers and can access their shared drives.  However, on both the 1809 computers, neither one ‘sees’ the 1803 computer.  I CAN directly access the 1803 via the IP address.

I have reset the networks on all 3 computers.  I have verified it’s not my firewall/antivirus (Vipre Advanced Security).  I have verified that all 3 computers see my network as a private network and that file/print sharing is turned on.  and my workgroup is the same on all three computers.

any help or suggestions would be apprecaited

john

John W Zerkel

• #242735 Reply

SkipH
      AskWoody Plus

I think this ‘feature’ of Windows 10 has been discussed on AskWoody before, don’t know the URL’S off-hand.

I had this happen on an 1803 Win10 test system: it couldn’t see my Win7 Pro ‘server’ box on my home network, but I could access it by its IP address.

I think the solution was that some services are not running on the Win10 box.

For the short fix, see if the following services are running (probably on all 3 systems?).

See that the following services are running, and set for Automatic or Automatic (delayed start):

– Function Discovery Provider Host

– Function Discovery Resource Publication

– SSDP Discovery

– UPnP Device Host

Also these services:

– DHCP client

– DNS client.

I found these solutions on various forms scattered around the ‘net back in August.

No guarantee, but IIRC, it ‘fixed’ the 1803 test system, I could magically make my Win7 server disappear and re-appear on the 1803 system, but don’t remember now which service I was stopping and starting.

Good luck, and maybe some others will chip in with more information.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #242746 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: win 1809 & win 1803 network problems

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.