Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • WIN 7 administrator password

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 WIN 7 administrator password

This topic contains 83 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 2 months ago.

• Author

Bill
      AskWoody Lounger

I sent this question to Woody.  He said he didn’t know the answer but someone else might.

I’m stuck and am hoping you can point me in a direction to get my little WIN 7 notebook going again.
      I have been trying stuff since April when I downloaded the big update from Microsoft.
      I have read everything I can find on Ask Woody. I have also downloaded and tried to use other things posted on the Internet.
      I’m only trying to get one thing repaired…administrator password.
      When I bought the little machine, it offered an option to create an administrator password. I chose not to do it. So, anytime I was installing or removing software and was asked for an administrator password, I hit “continue” and whatever was supposed to happen did.
      The Microsoft update must have installed a password, but since I didn’t install it, I have no idea what it is.

I have tried to take out the password they installed, but I have to have the password to get into command prompt. When I go to bios, the option to change the administrator password is locked.

I looked at chrome books. Most don’t seem to have USB ports and won’t run PowerPoint if I had one to plug in a jump drive with slide shows on it. I have about 25 years of PPT programs. Most of them are seldom used but are like an archive from which I can borrow slides and insert into current programs. Many are pretty large files.

If you can point me to help, I surely would appreciate it.

Edit to remove HTML. Please use the “Text” tab in the entry box when you copy/paste.

William Sharp

• #206190 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Lounger

Bill, Which update do you think has created this problem?

I do have a password for the PC, to log in as “User”, and the same as “Administrator”: this is not the real Admin password, that is a secret. It happens to be like that because, at least this is my theory, this password in Win 7 Home and Pro is a leftover from the main business version of which all other versions of Windows 7 are downmarket knock offs. Be that as it may, the real Admin password in the business version was only for the company’s System Administrator, and the employees were not supposed to know it, to make sure they were unable to tamper with the operating system.

In my own experience, I have never been asked to use a password when clicking on “Run as Administrator” and, from your posting, I gather neither have you, until now. So am really interested to hear what might be causing your problem to avoid it, if possible.

• #206239 Reply

Bill
        AskWoody Lounger

My problem began shortly after I downloaded the monthly roll up in April (2018).  The machine is a Toshiba NB505 with WIN 7 Pro. I am the only one that uses it.  It is not part of a network.  I use it to run PowerPoint presentations.  I would like to sync it to my Google Drive account, but it wants an administrator password to permit the sync download.

I’m 74.  I have limited computer skills.  I can follow instructions pretty well.

William Sharp

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #206196 Reply

PaulK
      AskWoody Lounger

Most of the question pertains to the Windows Administrator-credentialed user logon, and I think that this is that for which you are requesting help.

But just to clarify: “When I go to bios, the option to change the administrator password is locked.” This is a different Administrator.

When I go to my BIOS Security tab there are two password fields that can be set.
      An Administrator password permits one to lock out the possibility of changing these BIOS passwords. This is not related to an OS password.
      A Power-On password permits one to require a password before the computer can be booted into an OS.

The use of the unqualified word ‘Administrator’ is ambiguous. In a max-passwords scenario one would have at least three distinct passwords: BIOS Administrator, BIOS Power-On, OS (e.g., Windows) ‘Administrator’. In addition, each defined ‘standard’ user could have his own distinct password. (And, applications also may have password capabilities.)

“When I go to bios, the option to change the administrator password is locked.”
      If this statement is as it appears to be, then the BIOS Administrator password has been set, and is a different challenge than the one you have concerning software installation.

Are you the only one who uses the computer, or who does updating?

You may be able to log on to the built-in Administrator by booting into Safe mode.
      A couple of Google search [ windows 7 safe mode administrator ] hits are:
      https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/102552-built-administrator-enable-winre.html
      https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/682-command-prompt-startup.html
      Note that some information applies only for 32-bit systems.
      Warning: Registry editing can be disastrous; get more-expert help if you are not comfortable.

Concerning the BIOS Administrator password – what is the make/model of the computer?

• #206249 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

Bill, if you want to change the “Administrator” account’s password, you will need to be logged in on an account with administrator rights. Once you have done that, open File Explorer and right click on Computer, then choose Manage. Now click on Users and Groups, then Users. You will see the Administrator account listed there. Right-click on it, and then change the password. You can ignore the warnings that you will see.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #206284 Reply

Bill
      AskWoody Lounger

Jim, I get as far as manage and then am asked for a password…which I don’t have.  I can’t get to the next step (users).

William Sharp

• #206295 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

That’s because you are logging in with less than administrator rights. Is there an account on your computer that you can log on with that has administrator rights? For example, that account that it keeps prompting you for the password of.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #206307 Reply

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

It sounds like your account is a Standard user account, not an Administrator.
      (You may have a separate Administrator account on the machine.)

Try this:

• Press Window key + R to bring up the Run window
        Type lusrmgr.msc and hit enter (This should bring up Local Users and Groups)
      • On the left, click on the Users folder. In the middle, double click on your account which is probably your first name.
      • Under the Member Of tab, are you a member of Administrators or Users?

If you are an Administrator, you can change the Administrator account password by going back to the Users > middle panel, right-clicking on Administrator, and choosing Set Password.

If your account is a User account, you cannot reset passwords. You also are then getting the UAC prompt because you are a User account but you’re trying to change things that require Admin privileges. You can either 1) change your user account to be an Administrator account (which has to be done with another Administrator account), or 2) you can try to use a rescue disc such as Hiren’s Boot CD to reset the password.

Download link: https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ (scroll down, the ISO link is next to Filename)
      How-to: https://www.hirensbootcd.org/faq-items/resetting-windows-password/

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #206407 Reply

Bill
        AskWoody Lounger

I got very close (I think).  After putting in the lsgrmgr.msc I was able to click through to the page that has users and groups. In the middle column I see all user accounts including administrator.  To it’s right there is “Built-in account for administering the computer/domain.” Clicking on administrator, I go to a page that has options like “password never expires” and “account is disabled.”  I unchecked the “disabled” box and tried to click the apply box and am taken to a screen that says “access is denied.” Trying to make changes to user accounts brings up the same screen.

If I double click on “administrator” I can get to a “member of” tab that shows administrator is a member of administrators and users. I tried deleting “user” but get the “access denied” screen.

William Sharp

• #206310 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
      AskWoody Lounger

I don’t know whether this may help.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+bypass+request+for+administrator+password+on+Windows+7+Pro&&view=detail&mid=A414520FD95950236E7CA414520FD95950236E7C&&FORM=VDRVRV&ajf=100

Forgive me if you’ve already tried it without success, but it would appear to offer a workable solution.

• #206315 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

@zero2dash   @the-surfing-pensioner

Please be sure the solutions you are offering are legitimate. Woody doesn’t like to reference non-legit software on the blog

• #206336 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
          AskWoody Lounger

I’m sorry, I have followed the tutorial through twice and can find no reference to non-legit software, or indeed any third-party software. There is an advert at a couple of points on the video, but I disregarded that much as I disregard Woody’s.  The advert is not relevant to the recovery method suggested.

• #206379 Reply

GoneToPlaid
            AskWoody Lounger

The video does show a widely known legitimate solution (many web pages present this solution), yet it applies only to resetting a User’s login password (regardless of whether or not the User has only User rights or Admin rights. This is not Bill’s issue. Bill’s issue is that he needs to reset the Win7 Admin password, whereas Bill already can log in on his Win7 computer using his account which which only has User rights. This is the twist which Bill is presently encountering with his Toshiba laptop. Bill only has User rights after logging into Windows. Bill does not have Admin rights, and Bill has no idea what the Admin password is for Admin access on his Win7 Toshiba laptop computer.

• #206311 Reply

Bill
      AskWoody Lounger

before the problem, I had four user accounts…me, my wife, my daughter and guest.  When I try to sign on to my account, I immediately get a request for a password.  I have a password that I assigned for all user accounts in bios.  In the past, all I did was click on the icon for my account and it opened.  Now, I can click on the icon of my daughter.  I am not asked for a password and immediately get to the desktop for her account.  Because that account apparently is not one that has administrator rights, I can’t add or delete programs.

When I go to control panel in her account and click on users, it only shows her account.  I will do whatever is needed to activate the administrator account.  The machine came preloaded with WIN 7 Pro.  I don’t have a recovery disc. Woody got me started with Windows (3.1) about a million years ago.  Since then I’ve ventured through WIN 95, 98, XP Vista, 7 and 10.  I don’t like formatting the hard drive but I’ve done it a few times (especially when I was running 95).  I’m just hoping to find a “go around.”

William Sharp

• #206328 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

The password you see in the BIOS has NOTHING to do with the passwords required to log on to Windows. They are two different things. BIOS passwords belong ONLY t othe BIOS, Windows passwords belong only to Windows.

If one of the other Users is an Administer account, you can change passwirds with it. Log in with any account, go to Control Panel\User Accounts.\Manage Another Account. That will list the accounts on the computer. If any one is an Administer, use that one to change your password.

Log in with the account that is Admin. In the “run” box type “lusrmgr.msc” (without quotes). In the box that pops up, click on Users, then click on your ID. When it opens, on the “Member of” tab add Administrators. On the General tab (check boxes) be sure the account is not disabled or locked out, be sure to uncheck the box “User can’t change password, checl password never expires. Close the box. Right click on your ID and choose “Set password” (to something you know).

Reboot the computer and log in.

• #206355 Reply

GoneToPlaid
          AskWoody Lounger

Actually, for Bill’s Toshiba NB505 laptop computer, his laptop’s UEFI BIOS does have a feature to set the Windows login password in BIOS. Up until today and after doing some online research, I was completely unaware that such a feature existed.

• #206378 Reply

anonymous

We have something similar on some small form factor HP units as well.

• #206383 Reply

GoneToPlaid
              AskWoody Lounger

Yeah, I saw this as well, while doing online research, with regards to HP computers.

• #206448 Reply

PaulK
            AskWoody Lounger

Setting a Windows user password within BIOS?

The Toshiba NB500 Series User Guide is downloadable from
            https://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2861099&osId=31 .
            Pages 127-130 cover Setting Passwords.
            The wording is confusing: a careful reading shows that the ‘User’ password refers to the ‘Power-On’ password, and also to authorization to do hardware setup.

According to https://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=4009426 , Windows 7 uses BIOS; UEFI applies to Windows 8.

Posts #206196 and #206328 emphasize the distinction between BIOS passwords and Operating System passwords. What is a possible source of confusion too is that these BIOS passwords can be set from within Windows (User Guide, p. 128).

The computer is single user: single (not domain, no network) computer.
            The computer is not single-user: multiple Windows users. In post #206311 he lists: me, wife, daughter, guest.

He also says “I have a password that I assigned for all user accounts in bios.” I find this quite baffling: this sounds like the Power On password.

Somehow the ‘me’ account (apparently originally an Administrator account) has been given a Windows password. How to recover from this is the real problem. The advice given by GoneToPlaid (#206354) is a good summary of options.

• #206317 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Lounger

Take your computer and go to your local down-home computer shop. (You don’t want a big-box or boiler-plate shop; you want a computer technician.) Explain your problem. Have the computer shop set things to rights and explain to you what was done. Sometimes computer procedures just don’t fit through flat-print online computer explanations very well.

Group G{ot backup} Win7 · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta
      • #211228 Reply

anonymous

I’m about ready to do that.

• #206323 Reply

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

@zero2dash @the-surfing-pensioner

Please be sure the solutions you are offering are legitimate. Woody doesn’t like to reference non-legit software on the blog

Understood – I’ve used Hiren’s BootCD in the past many times; it is legitimate, legal and free.
      Also, from their About page:
      https://www.hirensbootcd.org/about/
      “Hiren’s BootCD PE does not contain any malicious software and it does not contain any pirated software. It includes only free, safe and legal software.”

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #206335 Reply

anonymous

I seem to recall when updating from win7 to win10, win10 really really wanted me to have a microsoft account. Since I had an old hotmail account (now outlook.com) I used that info to set up the account on the machine and set it to log in automatically. If you have a microsoft account of some sort you might try the credentials used for it.

• #206354 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Lounger

My problem began shortly after I downloaded the monthly roll up in April (2018). The machine is a Toshiba NB505 with WIN 7 Pro. I am the only one that uses it. It is not part of a network. I use it to run PowerPoint presentations. I would like to sync it to my Google Drive account, but it wants an administrator password to permit the sync download. I’m 74. I have limited computer skills. I can follow instructions pretty well.

Hi Bill,

Are you able to boot Win7 in Safe Mode? I ask because Safe Mode is more reliable when performing a System Restore or when uninstalling a bad update. If you can boot into Safe Mode, great! If not, proceed anyway. The first thing to try is to uninstall the April update. I hope that simply uninstalling the April update will fix everything for you.

If, after uninstalling the April update and rebooting, you still find that you are encountering the same issues, then the next thing to possibly try will be a System Restore point which was saved either just before or perhaps several days before you installed the April update.

Alternatively, you might try restoring to a December 2017 restore point, in order to wipe out all of the buggy 2018 updates. Don’t do so, until after you have copied and saved all important stuff (files, projects, et cetera) to external media, so that you don’t lose this stuff after restoring to December 2017. If your issues are resolved after restoring to December 2017, don’t do anything in terms of reinstalling any post Dec 2017 updates! We will figure that one out later.

You DO NOT WANT TO TOUCH OR RESET ANY BIOS SETTINGS AT ALL, except for simply checking, after performing the first or both of the above, whether or not the Windows Password screen is still locked. Hopefully it will become unlocked.

If you get to this point, where your issues are resolved, please don’t do anything else until we can figure out what the next steps should be. The upshot is that we will want to disable your Toshiba laptop’s UEFI Windows Password feature and instead use Windows’ built-in password feature, since Microsoft obviously forgot about this scenario with regards to the April updates.

If worse comes to worse, and you have to reinstall Win7, and you didn’t create installation media, at least your Toshiba NB505 offers a way to restore your Toshiba NB505 to a factory default installation.

Best regards,

–GTP

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  GoneToPlaid.
      • This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  PKCano.
    • #206363 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Lounger

I seem to recall when updating from win7 to win10, win10 really really wanted me to have a microsoft account. Since I had an old hotmail account (now outlook.com) I used that info to set up the account on the machine and set it to log in automatically. If you have a microsoft account of some sort you might try the credentials used for it.

Hello Bill,

Anon just mentioned something which is potentially useful. Do you have a MS Live account which was, perhaps, created if you installed MS Office 365 on your laptop computer? If so, your Live account password might be the new Admin password on your Toshiba laptop computer. Just a guess, yet worth trying.

Best regards,

–GTP

• #206822 Reply

Bill
        AskWoody Lounger

This old machine has only had Office 7.  Like Win 7, it works for me.  Have not installed 365.

William Sharp

• #206430 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Lounger

Having asked for some clarification as to what might be causing Bill’s problem, I’m thankful to all of you posting here in reply to Bill, because you have made clear, as has Bill, that what might have caused the problem was in the Rollup. I am not worried about problems caused by Rollups, because I always update Group B-style. Besides, the problem seems to be that Bill was not asked previously to login with a password and now, suddenly has started to be asked to do so. In my case, all my machines are password protected, so I always login with a password: nothing new for me there. I really hope this is the end of my concerns on this issue. Others might also be well served from following this discussion, if they are likely to have this problem because they are Group A, install the monthly Rollup, and have their account set up the same as Bill’s.

• #206464 Reply

jstech
      AskWoody Lounger

This can be accomplished with sticky keys. It’s a nice trick for those who are familiar with the cmd line. You will need a Win XP/7/10 disc. Lots of documentation on it if you google it. Once you have the sticky keys exploit in place, you can create an administrator account from the cmd line with the following commands:

net user /add [username] [password]

new localgroup administrators [username] /add

Group A | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit
      • This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  jstech.
    • #206479 Reply

SkipH
      AskWoody Lounger

@Bill:

If you have CD/DVD drive on your laptop (or access to one on another computer), you might want to try the software explained and discussed at this website. The download link is at the end of the article.

https://www.lifewire.com/offline-nt-password-and-registry-editor-review-2626147

Link to web page to download the ISO file:

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

There’s further information on this web page.

It is free, and I have used it many times in the past to REMOVE a user’s password. The current version I use does show and allow clearing a potentially ‘invisible’ Administrator account.

You will have to burn the contents of the ISO file inside the ZIP file to a CD, or, make a bootable USB thumb drive, my go-to utility for that is called Rufus, find it here: http://rufus.akeo.ie/

This utility CLEARS/REMOVES one or more user password so you can just log in by clicking on the user name on the log in screen.

After saving the modified SAM file, re-boot and remove the CD or USB and wait for Windows to boot back up, click on your name and you should get right in to your Desktop.

At that point you can go to the regular User Account Control Panel app and put in a new password for your account. The built-in ‘Administrator’ account is not visible in the standard User Accounts app, but is accessible from the Computer Management app. So you could put in a new password for the built-in Administrator account, or just leave it blank. You can Set any new password by right-clicking on the user name.

• #206597 Reply

PaulK
      AskWoody Lounger

Probably a rabbit trail.
      Is it possible that the unknown password is just a simple blank (space bar)? Or 2 spaces?
      I just tested both of these possibilities, I wouldn’t have thought that these would be acceptable.

• #206721 Reply

Bill
        AskWoody Lounger

I wanted so much for the answer to my problem to be something a really old guy might do.

I tried.  It didn’t get me where I need to go.

William Sharp

• #206603 Reply

Bill
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks to all you trying to help me.  I have gotten close (I think) a couple of times, but I’m still blocked on changing or removing the administrator password.  I can’t download or delete any programs that require administrator approval.

Thanks to zero2dash I got to the accounts and added administrator to a couple of them.
      (

You may have a separate Administrator account on the machine.

Press Window key + R to bring up the Run window
      Type lusrmgr.msc and hit enter (This should bring up Local Users and Groups)

On the left, click on the Users folder. In the middle, double click on your account which is probably your first name.

Under the Member Of tab, are you a member of Administrators or Users?

If you are an Administrator, you can change the Administrator account password by going back to the Users > middle panel, right-clicking on Administrator, and choosing Set Password.</p>
      If your account is a User account, you cannot reset passwords.

I have also tried just about every password I have ever used.  I just can’t kill of the administrator password thing.  Some suggestions talked of getting into command prompt.  Because of the absence of a password, I can’t do those.  I looked at user accounts in control panel.  I am only permitted to see the account I’m signed on to.  I’m open to just about anything.

William Sharp

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Bill.
    • #206687 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

There should be no restrictions on downloading as this does not require special privileges. What errors are you getting?

Have you tried the password reset software mentioned by SkipH?
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/win-7-administrator-password/#post-206479

cheers, Paul

• #206791 Reply

anonymous

This is my first venture into asking for help on Ask Woody,  I have been blown away by the number of suggestion for what to do.  I still don’t have the problem solved but have gotten a look at all the very strange things people have learned about how to tackle problems with Microsoft.

My latest attempts to change the administrator password brought up a screen that told me that administrator is disabled.  I can uncheck the box, but when I click apply, I’m getting a screen that tells me change can’t be made.

Before the April 7 roll up, I sometimes saw a screen that told me I need administrator permission, but all I did was click continue and whatever I wanted to do…did.

For anyone following this, I still need help

• #206851 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Lounger

My latest attempts to change the administrator password brought up a screen that told me that administrator is disabled. I can uncheck the box, but when I click apply, I’m getting a screen that tells me change can’t be made. Before the April 7 roll up, I sometimes saw a screen that told me I need administrator permission, but all I did was click continue and whatever I wanted to do…did. For anyone following this, I still need help

Hmm. Try this…

Go to Control Panel and double-click on Administrative Tools. Then double-click on Computer Management.

In Computer Management and in the left pane, click on Local Users and Groups to expand that group. Then click on Users.

Double-click on Administrator. The is the built-in Administrator account for Windows itself. In the Administrator Properties popup window, uncheck “User cannot change password” and “Account is disabled”. Make sure that “Password never expires remains checked. Hopefully the “Account is locked out” is not checked. If so, uncheck that.

Then click Apply and see what happens. Hopefully you were able to active the Win7’s Administrator account. If so, do the following:

Go back to Control Panel and double-click on User Accounts. The Administrator account should now be displayed along with your user account and the Guest account. Double-click on Administrator and see if you can either set a password, or change the password. As a user with non-admin rights, I am not sure if you will be able to do either. If you can set a password create a password which is at least 11 characters long and which consists of characters and digits, and at least one special character such as an asterisk. Write down the password first, before you set the password!

Assuming that you were able to enable the Administrator account and set a password, do the following…

Close everything, log off of Windows (don’t reboot), and log back in by clicking on the Administrator account icon and typing in the password. You should now be logged on as an Administrator.

Go back to Control Panel and double-click on User Accounts. Double-click on your user account so that you can make changes to your user account. Double-click on “Change the account type” and change your user account type to Administrator. Then change your account’s password, as described above, but don’t use the same password. Again, write down this password!

Assuming that you were able to change your user account to an administrator account and set a new password, do the following…

Close everything, log off of Windows (don’t reboot), and log back in by clicking on your account icon and typing in the new password for your user account. You should now be logged on as an Administrator. Go to Control Panel and then to User Accounts, and verify that your user account is now an administrator account.

IMPORTANT!!!!! Now we must disable the built-in Administrator account for Windows…

Go to Control Panel and double-click on Administrative Tools. Then double-click on Computer Management.

In Computer Management and in the left pane, click on Local Users and Groups to expand that group. Then click on Users.

Double-click on Administrator. Add a check mark for “Account is disabled” in order to disable the Administrator account. Click Apply and then click Okay.

Hopefully all of this will have resolved your issue.

Best regards,

–GTP

• #206905 Reply

jstech
          AskWoody Lounger

This is what I was getting at. If you boot from a system disc, the sticky keys route will allow you to create a new administrator from an elevated (admin) command prompt. You would be able to log in with this newly created admin and fix the old one. Like another poster said, it’s not easy to explain all the steps thoroughly.

• #206804 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

You haven’t told us if you have tried the external password reset?

cheers, Paul

• #206882 Reply

anonymous

Be sure this is Pro not home win 7

• #206913 Reply

anonymous

@gonetoplaid you need admin rights to do all of that, and it appears that Bill is not a member of the Administrators group.  Were there any other local user accounts with admin rights on his computer, he would’ve seen them in the UAC prompts.  In sum, it appears that the only account on his computer with admin rights is the built-in Administrator account, and that account is disabled, so he’s stuck.

@Bill, since you don’t have a recovery disk, and presumably don’t have an installation dvd, you need to follow the procedure given in the video linked to in reply #206310.  It’s hard to argue that this procedure isn’t “legitimate” since it uses only software provided by Microsoft, just not in a way that Microsoft intended.  After rebooting and hitting the shift key 5 times to pop open the cmd window, type:

net user administrator /active:yes
      net user administrator *

then type a password for the administrator (twice), exit the cmd window and reboot. When the reboot is finished, you now know the password for user Administrator, and in fact you’ll be able to login as user Administrator from the login screen (although I’m not recommending that). There’s really no pressing need to re-disable the Administrator account, but if you want to, you’ll need to first add your user account (Bill, I presume) to the Administrators group.  Post back when you get to that point and someone will tell you how to do that, and tell you how to undo the changes made by following the video.

It goes without saying that your important personal files should be backed up before doing any of the above.  16G SanDisk memory sticks are available for $5 or so at places like Best Buy.

• #206986 Reply

Bill
        AskWoody Lounger

My machine runs on WIN 7 Pro SP1.  It has an Intel Atom processor.

I can boot to WIN 7.  I can’t add or delete any programs that require administrator approval.

I have 6 user accounts:  Administrator, Bub (my daughter), Guest, Mary (my wife), Home Group, and Toshita NB500.

I now sign on using Bub… because it’s the only one that doesn’t ask for administrator permission.  I always can sign on.

The administrator and Toshiba accounts are both part of the administrator group.  The others aren’t.

The administrator account has two blocks checked…”password never expires” and “account is denied.”  When I uncheck the “account is denied and then click “apply” I get the screen that says “access is denied.”

I can’t find a way to create or change the administrator password.

Again, thanks for staying with me on this.  By comparison, there are much bigger issues going on in the world, but this like the princess and the pea for me.

William Sharp

• #206989 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
          AskWoody Lounger

I suppose you have tried unchecking “password never expires” and clicking “apply”? After all, we should all like the password to expire. It’s a silly suggestion, but I’ve clean run out of sensible ideas.

• #207014 Reply

GoneToPlaid
          AskWoody Lounger

Try this…

If your Bub account is truly an Administrator account, then you should be able to change all of the other accounts to Administrator accounts. Perhaps, start with trying this first, and then reporting back to us.

Hey man, we are all trying to help you, as this is what this wonderful world of AskWoody is all about.

Best regards,

–Michael

• #206993 Reply

anonymous

Bill, reply #206913 tells you what you need to do to enable the Administrator account and set a password for it.  Good luck.

• #207016 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Lounger
        • #207595 Reply

anonymous

Oooh, nice catch GTP!  I cloned a win7 pro vm with a single user and a disabled Administrator account.  I then enabled the Administrator account and logged in once as Administrator.  While logged in as Administrator, I removed the user from the Administrators group and disabled the Administrator account by running “net user administrator /active:no” in a cmd window. After a reboot, things were as they now are for Bill, i.e. Administrator locked out and no other user with admin rights.

I rebooted, this time tapping the f8 key to get into safe mode (the first safe mode option).  Behold, an Administrator icon was on the login screen!  In safe mode, I was able to log on as Administrator and undo the damage be adding the original user to the Administrators group.

Thank you GTP, this is very handy to know.

Bill, please reboot your computer while tapping the f8 key continuously until you see a black and white screen.  On that screen, select ‘Safe Mode’ and hit enter.  After the rest of the boot process completes, we hope you’ll see an Administrator icon on the login screen and be able to log on as Administrator by clicking it.  You’ll probably have to provide whatever password you were using in the past.  If you can get this far,  open a command window (cmd.exe).  In it type “net user administrator /active:yes” and then reboot the computer.  You should then see an Administrator icon on the login screen and be back where you were before.

• #207618 Reply

zero2dash
            AskWoody Lounger

In the OP he stated that he does not know the Administrator account password, which is why he asked if he could reset it. Unfortunately this means that reenabling the Administrator account won’t get him any closer to resolution.

• #207624 Reply

anonymous

True, but many confusing things have been said in this thread.  If I’m not mis-reading everything, Bill has been logging in as Administrator as a matter of course, up until that account was mysteriously locked out back in April.  If so, then either that account never had a password (the default) or it did and he knew what it was and will hopefully remember it.  It’s certainly easy enough to try.

And yes, running as Administrator is, to say the least, undesirable, but as PaulK points out there could be many of Bill’s files associated with that account by now.  Getting him back to where he was would be a victory.

• #207619 Reply

GoneToPlaid
            AskWoody Lounger

I just tried that. I booted into Safe Mode, yet I didn’t get an icon for my disabled Administrator account, only an icon for my own account. I think that the reason this worked for you is because there was no other account available, other than your disabled Administrator account.

• #207622 Reply

anonymous

Yes, probably because your account is a member of group Administrators.  If there is any other account available with Administrators group membership, then the locked-out Administrator account is not shown on the welcome screen after booting into safe mode.  When no other accounts are available which are members of Administrators, then Administrator is shown on the welcome screen after a safe boot.  I certainly could be missing something, but I’ve tried this a number of times by now, and it works every time.  Independent verification would be nice, if you’re so inclined 🙂

I hope that Bill tries this and that it works for him, because really the only other viable alternative is to hack in as per reply 206913.

• #207008 Reply

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

I now sign on using Bub… because it’s the only one that doesn’t ask for administrator permission. I always can sign on.

Most likely your UAC prompt is for a software update of some sorts, that has updated under the Bub account. That seems likely since:

The administrator and Toshiba accounts are both part of the administrator group. The others aren’t.

This means Bub is not an admin privileges account.

Unfortunately from the Windows perspective, with what you have available, you are SOL – unless you can find a Toshiba account password. That may be standardized somehow, I would assume it is, since they’re probably a generic account that they use in the set up of their PC’s. However, whether you can actually find out what that password is, is anyone’s guess.

I would again suggest using the Hiren CD which will let you reset that password. The issue that you have is, Windows encrypts its passwords. (Most OS’ do.) There is no way for you to recover that password, without a password recovery disc. You cannot make a password recovery disc without knowing the password to create it in the first place; in other words, at this point, you cannot create this disc to actually reset that password. It’s too late. It would have had to have been created already before this point, and obviously it hasn’t been. The Hiren CD has a Windows password reset tool that will basically go where the password is stored, encrypted, and reset it for you. You may not feel comfortable using that disc, and I get that, but I’m afraid (or at least IMHO), that is your only option at this point without losing data. Obviously you can reformat the HDD and reinstall Windows, but that will wipe your data.

• #207026 Reply

PaulK
      AskWoody Lounger

Situation summary:
      Multiple user accounts defined, presumably all with data; only one standard account accessible; Bill’s non-accessible Administrator account has years’ worth of files.

Recovery, the last resort:
      A – locate another Windows 7 system
      B – get an external drive enclosure (uses USB connection)
      — examine existing hard drive, it probably is SATA; get external enclosure to match
      — someone else here can recommend source and model
      C – remove hard drive, install into enclosure, connect to ‘another’ system
      D – copy off all data desired from all accounts
      — note: another external drive needed for data storage; or multiple DVDs?
      — be sure to copy off files that contain internet passwords
      — start a new topic to pursue this
      E – reinstall drive to own computer
      F – recover to original factory image – see the User Guide, pages 49-58
      G – rebuild system – install applications, etc.
      H – redefine current users’ profiles; and folder trees?
      I – selectively restore data from ‘storage’ drive – and DVDs?

• #207764 Reply

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Corrections and emendations —
        A – locate another Windows 7_or_later system; the bittedness (32 or 64) doesn’t matter
        I don’t know why I constrained that to just 7.

The existing C: disk is formatted in NTFS.
        D – There is a choice of media for the target (copy-to) device.
        If a hard disk, it also should be NTFS, although ex-FAT or FAT-32 will work. (FAT-32 is limited to files < 4GB.)
        Reference: Do an internet Search for [ ntfs ], and sub-search subjects of interest.
        After this whole exercise is complete, this recovery-disk may be used as an archive.

G – After the ‘original factory image’ (item F) is done and you get to the point of installing updates and patches, look for guidance in the Patches Forum here.

Presently the PPT folders and files are in “My Documents” – on the now-inaccessible account.
        Suggestion: unless there is a need to limit access, consider in the future to put them in C:\Users\Public\[Documents or Pictures or Videos or define-your-own-Folder-name]. Anyone can access them (yes, or change them too).

• #207705 Reply

anonymous

You guys are fantastic.  Such patience you’ve shown to a guy who is older than dirt. I have tried just about everything recommended.  Among other things, I went to Hiren’s and found it is only offered for 64-bit…my machine is 32-bit.  My little computer is WIN 7 Pro, SP1.  It seems that no matter what I try, I can’t get past administrator is disabled.  This is the only machine I have that is WIN 7.  The others are WIN 10.

I think I might as well buy an emergency boot disc.  I understand I will lose all my files but just about all of them are backed up on Google Drive.  It will just take a lot of time reinstalling files like Microsoft Office, Acrobat and other tools.  I have spent many days reinstalling programs…mostly in WIN 95…what a mess that was.

How much info do I need to buy the correct boot disc?

• #207733 Reply

zero2dash
        AskWoody Lounger

Bear with me, I have an idea. I’ll edit this post but I may be able to assist you with getting one for free…I have an idea on how to create one and get it to you so I’m creating a VM right now. Hold that thought…

Ah dangit…can’t be done.
        https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/can-you-make-a-password-reset-disk-on-one-computer/048f5f83-18c4-4747-b130-9d8cccad969b?auth=1

Sorry 🙁

• #207738 Reply

Bill
          AskWoody Lounger

I’m a moderately patient guy.  I have been working on this since April.  I have watched a gob of YouTube videos.  They all make it look so easy to go into command prompt, make a couple of changes and voila all is well.  The key, of course, is having an administrator password to begin the process.

Woody (my nephew) has pulled away from real issues sometimes to respond to my whining and told me to give it up and get a chrome book. The only thing I use this little notebook for is playing PowerPoint programs when my wife is speaking.  I could take another laptop that has WIN 10 but this little guy is tiny and easy to transport.

So, your help is deeply appreciated.

William Sharp

• #207747 Reply

GoneToPlaid
            AskWoody Lounger

Hi Bill,

At this point, it is seriously looking like your only solution is to reinstall Windows, and to avoid using Tohiba’s BIOS Windows password stuff for Windows in the future, as it appears that there is no other available solution.

SEPARATELY, A NOTE TO ALL: My company bought four identical laptop computers, in terms of actual hardware. All had identical BIOS versions. One of these four identical computers had Win7 installed, and the other three had Win8.1 installed. Here is the thing. Windows 8.1, forever and irreversibly changed the BIOS settings, such that it is impossible to make any of the three computers which came with Win 8.1 installed to show the same configurable BIOS settings which are shown in the hardware identical computer which came with Win 7 installed. I tried reflashing the BIOS with the same version which was present on the three laptops which had Windows 8.1 installed, yet after doing so, I can’t get these BIOSes to show the same configurable settings which are shown in the same identical hardware laptop which has Win7 installed.

The upshot is that it appears that Microsoft writes to, post Win7 and within the BIOS, areas in the BIOS which do not get reflashed even when reflashing using an OEM BIOS file.

This is just a heads up. Do your own research to verify my above comments.

Best regards.

–GTP

• #207997 Reply

Bill
              AskWoody Lounger

Well guys, I’m inching closer.  I have now learned that beginning in 2007 Toshiba quit making separate emergency boot discs.  Instead the program to reboot to original factory settings is in a partitioned part of the hard disc.  Theoretically, if I hold down the zero key while the machine is booting, I will be taken to a menu that guides me through formatting and installation.  I haven’t been able to get this to work yet because of my overlying problem…administrator is disabled.

I’m learning the old bromide that “close only counts in horseshoes and grenades” should be amended to include repairing WIN 7.

William Sharp

• #208005 Reply

Rick Corbett
              AskWoody Lounger

Well guys, I’m inching closer. I have now learned that beginning in 2007 Toshiba quit making separate emergency boot discs. Instead the program to reboot to original factory settings is in a partitioned part of the hard disc. Theoretically, if I hold down the zero key while the machine is booting, I will be taken to a menu that guides me through formatting and installation. I haven’t been able to get this to work yet because of my overlying problem…administrator is disabled.

This would have been an OEM Vista recovery partition and no doubt wiped by whoever put Win 7 Ultimate on… so not much help even it did work.

In my opinion SkipH gave you the best tried-and-tested solution most likely to succeed many days ago (July 27) in post #206479.

Hope this helps…

• #208031 Reply

GoneToPlaid
              AskWoody Lounger

Hi Bill,

For the Administrator password, try four spaces. Yep, four spaces supposedly is the default for many Toshiba laptops.

Best regards,

–GTP

• #207771 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody Lounger

I recommend SkipH’s reply. I’ve used the Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD for many years and it has always worked to remove any Windows passwords. Most times the default settings are fine so it’s just a case of reading the prompts and pressing ENTER.

Just 2 points to note… 1.) the laptop *must* be shut down properly (i.e. Start > Shutdown), not just powered down by holding the on/off button and; 2.) the laptop must be able to boot from CD or USB.

I believe the boot menu key for the Toshiba NB500 is F12, i.e. power on the laptop and press F12 when the Toshiba logo appears. (If you can’t get the boot menu to appear then you’ll need to amend the boot order in the BIOS.)

In terms of ‘ease of use’, I would suggest creating a CD rather than a bootable USB.

Hope this helps… (and yes, it’s legal.)

• #208988 Reply

Bill
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks to all of you who spent valuable time trying to get me reconnected to my administrator password.  I still have not solved the problem but have become frustrated trying.

Perhaps my attitude will improve later and I will try again. Until then, thank you for trying to help me.

Bill

William Sharp

• #209443 Reply

jstech
        AskWoody Lounger

Can you create a system repair disc?

Start, All Programs, Maintenance, Create a system repair disc. Or if you have any disc W7 or up (8.1, 10) that you can boot from.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  jstech.
    • #209404 Reply

Bill
      AskWoody Lounger

One last request from Bill Sharp

My situation has become more complicated.  The clock on the computer is not correct so when I try to go to the Internet, I get an error message saying I am not permitted because information on the net is sensitive and will not be provided to folks who don’t have the correct date and time.  But, because I don’t have a password, the clock program won’t allow me to change the time.

I have given up on the password fix.  Now I want to format the hard drive and just reinstall programs.  My knowledge of command prompts is very limited.  If you know of a way I can clear the machine and start over, I will appreciate learning what to do.

William Sharp

• #209435 Reply

anonymous

This sends us in a new direction, and may deserve a new title. But here I will observe that while I did not do the homework to be familiar with the Toshiba NB505, what you describe is indicative of clock battery failure. While it is a minor symptom, I do not know if this is considered replaceable on this model of notebook. It may be adding to the accumulated difficulties of an aging unit, and foretell greater difficulties to come.

Is the often suggested LibreOffice a viable replacement to display your PowerPoint decks? It may not satisfy all your needs. But if it does this opens more possibilities for replacing the notebook hardware. And there are many voices here to help with that style of question.

• #209446 Reply

anonymous

Same Anonymous as #post-209435. Remembered later, looked and found the AKB article by Canadian Tech last year: Changing Your PCs Battery

Where it is noted this is simple on a desktop box, and may not be possible on smaller units.

PaulK had a link to Toshiba above #post-206448 that may give more detail for this notebook.

• #209496 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi Bill,

Alrighty! I just watched a YouTube tear-down video for your Toshiba NB505 laptop. Replacing the BIOS battery is pretty straightforward — much easier than on many modern laptops and notebooks. I agree that the battery is the root cause of your sudden issue, instead of being a result of installing any Windows Updates. Here is the YouTube video:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXYRdQJPrA

The battery is seen, removed from its slot above where the hard drive would be installed (the guy had already removed the hard drive, at 2:09 in the video. In the video, the guy has laid the battery (black thing with a white sticker on it) on top of the RAM modules.

Note that earlier in the video, the guy removed and disconnected stuff which clearly is not necessary in order to access and replace the battery, since the the purpose of the guy’s video to show how to perform a full tear-down of a Toshiba NB505 laptop for cleaning and component replacement. The upshot is that only the laptop’s back cover for the RAM and hard drive is all that needs to be removed, in addition to the hard drive, in order to gain easy access to the battery. The relevant parts of the procedure should take a local mom and pop computer shop around 15 minutes to perform.

Since it is now obvious to me that your passwords in CMOS (BIOS) were lost, the local mom and pop computer shop must have password recovery software which will crack non-complex (as in not too long) passwords for a Windows computer. I have such software since I had to crack the password which was set by a bad employee, and so that I could then perform forensic analysis of the bad employee’s activities while using his office computer.

I figure that if your CMOS battery is dead, then your laptop’s hard drive most likely is close to death as well, due to age. Thus, the next step for the computer shop is immediately to sector-by-sector clone your laptop’s hard drive to a new hard drive. This is done by using a HD duplicator machine. The shop MUST use tape or other means to absolutely make sure that the original HD and the new HD do not vibrate during the cloning process. This is especially important for an old HD on the brink of failure due to worn out spindle bearings, as they may get only one shot at this. I mention this since, although HD duplicator machines perform their function very well, most HD duplicator machines are cheaply built such that they do not hold the HDs securely enough in order to prevent vibration which could kill a HD which is on the brink of failure.

The computer shop will then run their software to crack the Admin password which was stored in BIOS, yet which was lost when the CMOS battery died. Yet the computer shop will do so only on the cloned HD and NOT on the original HD which may be near the brink of failure. The Admin password should be easy to crack since, from what I have read online, the Admin passwords which Toshiba creates and stores in BIOS are fairly simple in terms of the number of characters.

I don’t know if you saw my previous posts. For Toshiba laptops, I have read that there are at least two possibilities for the Admin password which you should try:
        Four spaces, and then hit Enter.

Nothing at all, and then hit Enter.

Best regards,
        –Michael

• #209547 Reply

Bill
          AskWoody Lounger

I really appreciate the time you’ve taken on this issue.  I have ordered a new cmos battery and a new main battery.

I feel certain you’re right about a battery problem being the cause of the sudden loss of the clock and therefore the ability to connect to the internet.

I’ve watched some repair videos on-line.  One showed what in layman’s terms looking like a creating a short circuit to wipe out bios passwords.  But, I figure if I can get the machine running again, I will look for help on that one.  My skills are too low.

It will be a few days until the cmos battery gets here.  When it does, I will let you know what happens.

William Sharp

• #209550 Reply

Bill
          AskWoody Lounger

I tried using spaces to get the machine to accept it as a password.  It didn’t work on this computer.  Another guy who responded to my plea suggested something similar…one space, two spaces.

It sure would be great if that worked.

it did

William Sharp

• #209657 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Lounger

I really appreciate the time you’ve taken on this issue. I have ordered a new cmos battery and a new main battery. I feel certain you’re right about a battery problem being the cause of the sudden loss of the clock and therefore the ability to connect to the internet. I’ve watched some repair videos on-line. One showed what in layman’s terms looking like a creating a short circuit to wipe out bios passwords. But, I figure if I can get the machine running again, I will look for help on that one. My skills are too low. It will be a few days until the cmos battery gets here. When it does, I will let you know what happens.

Hi Bill,

You are most welcome. Don’t do the short circuit thing to wipe out any BIOS passwords. At this point, simply get the new CMOS battery installed. This won’t fix it, yet this is an important step.

Best regards,

–GTP

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  GoneToPlaid.
    • #210819 Reply

Bill
      AskWoody Lounger

I received and installed a new cmos battery and a new main battery.  I didn’t gain any ground.  I can’t update the clock without an administrator password.  Because the clock is not current, I can’t get to the internet…yadda, yadda.

Back in the dark ages, I remember typing “format c:” (many times) and started over with the emergency restoration disc.  Now that Toshiba has put the the restoration program in a partitioned section of the c: drive, I think I have to figure out how to get to it.

If I ever get the machine working, I should be able to reinstall the software I want.

William Sharp

• #210862 Reply

BobbyB
        AskWoody Lounger

You mention new Battery (main, I take it its a laptop) and a new CMOS battery. To reset CMOS the power Source normally (this includes main battery, Mains power supply and the CMOS Battery normally like a large watch Battery i.e. completely dead) has to be away from the CMOS strip to discharge fully. No you wont wipe it or “Brick” it but it should remove all user settings from the ROM CMOS etc you wont break them they are “Hard Wired” in there. There’s mention of “Short Circuit” that I caught skimming through this UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES TRY as larger Voltage spikes and or Electrostatic charges will fry or “Brick” the Machine. 30Secs is the Golden rule anything over is immaterial but hey it doesent hurt to try, if its a really older machine it may well have a Jumper on the Mother Board or on rare occasions a small reset button, that will do the same Job if its an OS time problem definitely go with @microfix ‘s scenario (below).

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  BobbyB.
    • #210842 Reply

Microfix
      AskWoody MVP

@Bill, Reading all of the above is somewhat confusing so I need to ask:

1. Do you need a password to change things in the BIOS?

2. Have you tried pressing F12 upon boot to access the BIOS and change the clock from there and then saving it?

| W8.1 Pro x64 | Linux x64 Hybrids | W7 Pro x64 O/L | XP Pro O/L
        No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
      • #210857 Reply

anonymous

It’s more than the passwords in bios.

I downloaded the April rollup update.  When I bought the machine (Toshiba Notebook 505), I chose not to use an administrator password.  It never had one…and may not now.  After installing the download, all user passwords were gone.

I have tried a bunch of things that should have taken me to a place where I can delete and/or install a password.  None of tips worked.

I want to save the little device.  It’s a handy size for travel to places where I make PowerPoint presentations.

My computer skills are low but if I can figure out how to format the hard drive, I think I can reinstall the small number of programs I want on this computer.  It runs WIN 7,  has enough RAM and storage.

I’m still looking for a way to get this old guy running again.  My other computers are WIN 10 which I don’t like at all.

• #210968 Reply

PaulK
      AskWoody Lounger

1. I gather that you are now at the point that you want to just ‘recover to original factory image’, and abandon all hope of retrieving all user data (except that which is on ‘Bub’).
      Correct?

2. You said that pressing zero during boot doesn’t work, because ‘administrator is disabled’. This statement is baffling, since Windows hasn’t yet been initiated, and couldn’t possibly be an inhibitor. BUT, if a BIOS Supervisor password has been set, that is a different matter.
      (In 206158 you say: “I have tried to take out the [Windows Administrator] password they installed, but I have to have the password to get into command prompt. When I go to bios, the option to change the administrator password is locked.” Posts 206196, 206328, 206448 clarify that Windows passwords and BIOS passwords are distinct. I may be wrong – and despite several replies above that seem to accepts this – I do not believe that Toshiba stores any Operating System (Windows) password into the BIOS. What is confounding this whole matter is that a Toshiba utility, run from within Windows, supports the changing of BIOS passwords.)

3. Reference 210819: Technically, the (Toshiba) Restore partition is not within the C: drive. The (only) physical hard drive has multiple partitions: C: drive; the Restore partition; and perhaps one or more partitions. Only the C: drive is visible, the others are normally hidden, but whose allocations can be seen IF one has the (Windows) Administrator password. (Catch-22 anyone?)

4. 210857: “I chose not to use an administrator password. It never had one … and may not now. After installing the download, all user passwords were gone.”
      – “and may not now” – What? isn’t that what this whole thread is about?
      – “all user passwords were gone” – Umm, no. Bub has no password. ‘Me’ now has a[n unknown] password. It is not clear if ‘my wife’s logon now has a password.

5. I don’t see a succinct reply to Microfix‘s questions.
      Please post the exact verbiage that is displayed when you do a Boot while holding the 0 (zero) key.

• #211161 Reply

Bill
        AskWoody Lounger

My current situation:

I am asked for a password as the machine powers on.

I have that so it goes to a screen showing names and icons of users.

If I click on my daughter’s icon, the program goes to her desktop screen without asking for a password.  The others all require a password…that I don’t know, can’t guess.

I have followed the trail using lusrmgr.msc.  The list of users are: administrators, Bub (daughter), Mary (wife), Bill Sharp, guest, homeusers.  Under the “member of” tab, administrators, Mary, and Bill are all members of administrators.  Bub is not a member of the administrators group.  I have tried to add her (as well as me and my wife).  I get a requests for a password.  Administrators is disabled.

Recently the clock went back to the first day the machine was used.  After that, I was denied access to the Internet because the clock was not correct (error message).  All attempts to add, delete or changes any programs get an error message “access is denied.” I bought and installed new cmos and main batteries.

I have tried all the things suggested.,.particularly 206249, 206307, 206295, 206328, 206354, 206479, 206851, 207041 and 210968.

When I try holding down the 0 key during start up, nothing happens…no messages.

I just want to kill or replace the password.

William Sharp

• #211194 Reply

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Have you tried my previous request yet?
          1st things 1st, we need to get the system time correct before going any further as this may/ or may not cause complications later.

| W8.1 Pro x64 | Linux x64 Hybrids | W7 Pro x64 O/L | XP Pro O/L
            No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
    • #210999 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

Please post the exact verbiage that is displayed when you do a Boot while holding the 0 (zero) key.

Please?

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #211178 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Lounger

I offer this modest suggestion again:
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/win-7-administrator-password/#post-206317

Group G{ot backup} Win7 · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta
    • #211192 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

@bill fairly hesitant to suggest these solutions as they are a bit drastic but here goes anyways on the account you can access you could always try “Take Ownership” via a Reg key, this may well scre mess up your file permissions for each account on your machine but at least you may be able to get Data out and save if the worst case scenario occurs.
      https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ (there’s lots of ready made Downloadable keys out there just check with AV before use)
      Right click on the user folder and select “Take Ownership” should appear in the menu, it wont open up the folder for password access again but at least you should be able to get stuff out that you may need, You previously posted https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/win-7-administrator-password/#post-206311 in which you said you don’t want to “wipe” and fresh install so go to C:\windows\system32\sysprep inside you’ll find “Sysprep” run as admin, when it opens under “system cleanup action” select “Enter system Audit Mode” and reboot, you will be logged in with a defacto admin account delete all the user accounts then reboot. It will be like setting up a new computer again only it wont, anything that resides on the C:\ drive Office any Programmes installed all your updates drivers etc everything will still be there. BUT anything tied or residing in a user account will be gone, Docs Favourites Pictures hence you need the Golden rule Back up, Back up, back up. Your first account naturally, from setup will be as Admin then re-add your accounts as before. Note these suggestions are the absolute last step before reinstall if your not getting any where with access to the user accounts not to be taken lightly, fingers crossed here.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  BobbyB. Reason: Edited to remove copy and paste works here but wont take if used from page
      • #211220 Reply

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

” … inside you’ll find “Sysprep” run as admin …”
        Bobby: How does he run as admin when he doesn’t have the administrator password? What am I missing?

• #211236 Reply

BobbyB
          AskWoody Lounger

hey its worth a try I havent run in to a system like that before where you cant get in to the accounts, there’s always a way otherwise its a wipe and I guess it’ll either kick him out and no harm done or it’ll work but they are last resort scenario’s If you have time and patience and resources you can probably find a way, not really got much of that at work. So with crashed systems I normally retrieve the all important Test Data wipe and reinstall. Many times when folks return the Machines from the field there’s all sorts of “Tinkering” and unauthorised Downloading gone on. Its quicker than messing with a reluctant machine. Still musing here whether it was a 3rd party App that scrambled all the permissions. As I have no idea where you all are it maybe impractical to do House calls lol 😉 as so often solutions present themselves if you have “Hands On” Often in describing faults the most trivial or seemingly unimportant detail could be the issue at hand.

• #211653 Reply

Bill
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks guys for all your time and attempts to get my machine going.  I’m throwing in the towel…and will now try to restore it.

On-line, I found a little company in South Carolina that sells recovery discs.  If any of you have opinions on what I should order, I will appreciate your thoughts.

https://www.ebay.com/str/Appletree-Software-Sales/Windows-7-Password-Recovery-/_i.html?_storecat=5066896011

Thanks to all of you, again.

Bill

William Sharp

• #211714 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

You do NOT need to buy a password recovery disk.

There are good free ones listed in this thread.
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/win-7-administrator-password/#post-206479
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/win-7-administrator-password/#post-206307

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: WIN 7 administrator password

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.