News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 7 ESU missing SSUs

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches Win 7 ESU missing SSUs

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

Hello all,

Our machines are licensed for the ESU updates through Windows Update. Seems like we keep missing the SSUs (not related to the ESU licensing). Is there some kind of trick to make Windows Update advertise the SSUs when they come available? Maybe some kind of setting in WU we’re missing? Looks like Microsoft pushes an SSU out every month now.

Seems like we have to go out to the Windows Catalog and manually download and install the SSUs…
        Would be nice if we could figure out how to make WU show them.

Thanks!

• #2211221 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

The SSU has to be installed exclusively (by itself)
        It will not show up in the WU Important update queue until/unless there are no other pending updates (checked or unchecked) in the queue.
        If you install all the other updates, reboot, then check for updates again, it will become available.
        The other option is to HIDE all the other updates temporarily, check for updates, install the SSU, then unhide and install all the others.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2211285 Reply
        anonymous

Thanks PK. A couple of questions…

1. Should the SSU be installed before or after the Monthly rollup? (We understand the part about the SSU being installed by itself.) Example: Do we install the February SSU before the February rollup or after we install the February rollup?

2. So far as Windows Update… We tried hiding all of the other updates temporarily, but the SSU didn’t show up. The settings for Windows Update are as follows – “Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates.” is NOT checked. “Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows.” IS checked. All other options for Windows Update are NOT checked.

This may be something that has been hanging out there for a long time. We’ve only just started running into the missing SSU issue because it seems like there is an SSU every month. We’ve been downloading them from the catalog and installing them manually. It would be nice if we could get WU to detect the automatically.

• #2211348 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Use WU as is. Install what’s offered. After reboot, check for updates again. Install the SSU. You will be fine doing it that way.

• #2211439 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

usually WU will offer the very latest Win7 SSU (currently KB4550735) so older ones don’t have to be installed

• #2211587 Reply
        anonymous

PK and EP – thanks for the info. The problem is that we are not being offered the SSUs through WU, so we’re having to download them from the catalog. So, while we’re trying to figure out why they’re not showing up in WU, we’re just trying to get the right sequence of installation. It sounds like WU installs the rollups first (and anything else) and then on a second invocation of WU after a reboot the SSU shows up for installation. We’ve tried hiding all of the updates and still don’t see the SSUs.

We’ve got WU options set to offer only Important Updates and not Recommended Updates. It’s been that way for years so that we would only get the security updates. Maybe that’s why we’re not getting the SSUs.

We don’t let WU automatically install updates.

• #2211589 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

The Important Update queue has to be empty, ie, no pending updates (checked or unchecked) before the SSU shows up.

• #2211606 Reply
            anonymous

Thanks again PK! We’ll keep picking at this. We’ve been researching the SSUs. I know you’ve seen this before – MS urges that the SSUs be installed BEFORE and rollups, but it looks like WU offers the SSUs AFTER all other important updates are installed. What are we missing here?

• #2211609 Reply
              PKCano
              Da Boss

You’re not missing anything. MS has evidently changed the way they do it. There was a recent discussion between @abbodi86 and @ch100 about the sequencing (it’s been in the last week or so, but I don’t remember what thread, maybe the one about @abbodi86 ‘s script?). Seems the SSU may be necessary now for the next Rollup/SO that follows.

I would just take it like MS dishes it out (I didn’t say that, did I?) in the order WU provides. It seems to work either way. 🙂

• #2211894 Reply
        anonymous

Thanks again, PK! Yes, we also noticed that the SSU triggers the next rollup. We just discovered that we’re missing a WU patch – KB3138612 – it was hidden some time ago. That might be our problem with the missing SSUs… It’s no biggie, we can always install them manually.

Keep up the good work!

• #2211902 Reply
        anonymous

One final comment… We looked at the exchange between @abbodi86 and @ch100. It looks like there is still some debate about the sequence of install for the SSUs. @abbodi86 and @ch100 were discussing using either WSUS or SCCM for installs and the need to be able to manage the install sequence for large operations. There was a comment that “installing the SSU first” is the ideal but not always practical with large scale environments where it’s difficult to manage the sequence of events. We’re a small shop, so we don’t have that concern.

Thank you all so much for your comments and clarifications!

• #2211938 Reply
        ch100
        AskWoody_MVP

This is an ongoing discussion.
        I would say the SSU should be installed by itself instead of has to.
        There are SSUs indeed which have to be installed by themselves, KB3177467 being a good example for Windows 7.
        Most other SSUs are not required to be installed separately, although this is certainly the best practice when installing manually.
        An example in favour of my statement would be that when installing from Windows Update, the SSU is bundled and installed with other updates in one step.
        Another one would be when using WSUS (or SCCM leveraging WSUS), although the SSU comes separately there, it can be bundled and installed with the other updates coming on Patch Tuesday to avoid unnecessary multiple reboots. At least this is the most common practice.

• #2211942 Reply
        ch100
        AskWoody_MVP

How many machines do you update?
        For a small number, even if you don’t use WU in automatic mode, you should still use it in manual mode but not use separate downloads from the Catalog.
        I think this is the issue that you see, because you don’t have a reliable way to validate your updating procedure by manually installing updates.

• #2223311 Reply
        anonymous

Thanks @ch100 and PK. We have a small number of Win 7 machines in our shop. Just trying to keep them going until we can get them to Windows 10.

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 7 ESU missing SSUs

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.