News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • WIN 7 Home Premium SP1 x64 Freezing

Posted on pmcjr6142 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 WIN 7 Home Premium SP1 x64 Freezing

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by

Microfix 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

pmcjr6142
      AskWoody Lounger

This is a Dell XPS desktop XPS not quite six years old.  Within the last month or two, it has started to freeze up while doing normal activities on line, eg, internet searches,  gmail, etc.  Nothing fancy.  I have been using up to date Chrome during this time and my WIN updates are current per Woody’s Defcon status.  It is current thru the December updates.  This is what happens….the cursor will freeze in place with no warning.  The keyboard, mouse, and desktop on/off button are inoperative.  You can’t do anything.  The only solution I have found is to unplug the power source and reboot.  It could function normally for a couple of days or, most recently, freeze 3 times a day. I also use Malwarebytes and Avast Free.

Any suggestions?  Thank you.

• #243551 Reply

the_Unforgiven
      AskWoody Lounger

What does eventViewer have to say?

have a good 1 🙂 cheers

• #243557 Reply

DrBonzo
      AskWoody Lounger

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop (Win 7 Pro SP1, 64 bit). Same thing used to happen – frozen cursor, dead keyboard, dead on/off button (couldn’t do a forced shutdown or forced restart). I don’t have a mouse, just a touchpad with right and left click. I used to take the battery out to get it to shutdown. After reinserting the battery and rebooting it would work fine for typically another few days, then the same thing would happen.

For me, the solution was embarrassingly simple: hold the left click down while moving my finger on the touchpad. This unfroze everything. Either action by itself would do nothing. So maybe move your mouse while holding the left button down will work. Worth a try.

• #243581 Reply

pmcjr6142
      AskWoody Lounger

For me, the solution was embarrassingly simple: hold the left click down while moving my finger on the touchpad. This unfroze everything. Either action by itself would do nothing. So maybe move your mouse while holding the left button down will work. Worth a try.

DeBonzo…thank you, but this doesn’t seem to work.

Edit to remove HTML from copy/paste

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #243734 Reply

DrBonzo
        AskWoody Lounger

Too bad, I hoped it was something simple. I don’t what to try next, although the suggestion above about EventViewer might help someone else here solve your problem.

If you don’t know, get to EventViewer via Control Panel —> System and Security —> Administrative Tools —> Event Viewer

• #243742 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

Have you tried running a memory diagnostics, this has all the hallmarks of a memory fault.
      I had the same issue many moons ago and it turned out to be a faulty memory module on the second memory slot.
      The OS would be fine until more ram was used and then the whole OS just froze without warning (was also Win 7) IIRC

********** Peng/Wins x86/x64 **********

- µfix

• #245032 Reply

anonymous

Windows 7 64 sp1 on my desktop freezing randomly here since December updates. MS, hang your head in shame!

Only way to recover is the reset button on pc case. Frozen mouse pointer type freeze.

Dual drive build. Nothing to fancy …lol.

My SSD is my main drive and my HDD is for storage/backup, which has Windows 7 fully functional. I don’t maintain the HDD to often. Every couple of months I change drives in BIOS to update all necessary software as an emergency option, just in case something goes wrong with my main SSD drive.

I haven’t updated any windows 7 updates on HDD since Aug/2018 and it works like a champ. Ok, maybe not like a champ but it doesn’t freeze.

I’m going to restore my SSD to before Dec/2018 updates and see how it goes.

I’ve done all other tests for my SSD and nothing seems to stand out. Memory test is all good. Just the critical error message in my event viewer after the reset…lol

Oh, yeh, as I post this, I’m on my HDD ;-).

• #246314 Reply

anonymous

Thank you satrow!
      I should’ve known better after last years Malwarebytes BSOD debacle.
      Using Malwarebytes Pro and Avast free. It seems to only freeze my SSD windows 7 when online using an ASUS usb ac-53 1200.
      I hadn’t got around to restoring down to previous windows update on SSD yet as I’ve been trying to find a driver to update the old skool usb ac-53 while on my HDD. The ones I’ve downloaded just hang when I go to install and won’t install.
      No freezes using a 4g usb dongle on my HDD.
      I’ve been with MB since the start and have lost count how many times their updates have caused havoc. It’s almost ridiculous now.

• #309191 Reply

AJNorth
      AskWoody Plus

Malwarebytes have released version 3.6.1.2711-1.0.519-1.0.8728, digitally signed 2019.01.11; it can be installed via the “Install Application Updates” under Settings (or downloaded from their site). As of this post, the Update package version is 1.0.8736.

“Web protection” is enabled, and there appears to be no untoward behavior on any of the Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 machines it has been installed on (Malwarebytes Premium).

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #312687 Reply

anonymous

will i be able to use without a problem wins 7 after ms leaves in 2020

• #312694 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

You will be able to use Win7 after 2020, but “without a problem” is the question.
        Once Win7 stops getting updates, it will become vulnerable. You can use a good anti-virus, and surf safely, but eventually you may have problems with malware.
        And eventually the software vendors will no longer support Win7 and the newer versions of their products will become incompatible.
        It may take a while, but it will happen.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #315249 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Malwarebytes update fixes freeze issue on Windows 7 PCs

This new package addresses a reported freeze on Windows 7 computers that related to Web Protection on multiple core processor configurations.

Component Update 3.6.1 v1.0.527 released

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

3 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: WIN 7 Home Premium SP1 x64 Freezing

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel