News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 7 memory issue

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Win 7 memory issue

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

I have a Toshiba L840, with Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit, Service Pack) with a 1TB Samsung SSD 860 EVO  (SATA (SSD)) and following memory setup. The SSD is divided into 2 partitions.
        Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz

Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series

Gaming graphics  2169 MB Total available graphics memory

Primary hard disk  134GB Free (216GB Total)

I have recently upgraded the memory to 16GB however the system tells me I only have 2.74GB memory available. I haven’t been able to find a solution as to how to release the memory for full use (with the exception of graphics usage).
        I have looked at

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/978610/the-usable-memory-may-be-less-than-the-installed-memory-on-windows-7-b

and have tried some of their recommendations but nothing has helped.

Has anyone had this issue? Is there s solution?

• #2278737 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

The 32-bit OS can only address a maximum of 4GB RAM and of that only 3.5GB or so will be usable. If you want to utilize the 16GB RAM, you will need to install 64-bit Windows IF the hardware is capable of 64-bit operation.

• #2278817 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

That CPU is 64 bit so updating to 64 bit Windows should be no issue, except that you need to install from scratch, keeping user data.

I’d make a backup to an external USB disk before upgrading.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 7 memory issue

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.