News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 7 to Win 10: 1803 or 1809 or 1903?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Win 7 to Win 10: 1803 or 1809 or 1903?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by

Alex5723 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Anonymous

OK so I got the **** message. I’ll try to upgrade my two Win 7 systems to Win 10:

My 32 bit desktop offers Win 10 1803
      My 64 bit desktop offers Win 10 1809

I thought I’d start with 1803 because it is more likely to be settled but because I’m offered 1809 on the laptop I’m stymied. I will not have two different systems on these two machines since they are often used to troubleshoot each other.

Any thoughts as to why MS offers two different versions for updates to Win 7? Any way to specify which one?

Since it is still February maybe I should wait until 1903 becomes (more or less) available?

Ideas? Comments?

MVP content edit: Please refer to Forum Rules regarding language.

• #328760 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

Your 32-bit desktop undoubtedly has some sort of hardware or software configuration that Microsoft’s New-Improved-Knows-All machine learning algorithm has determined to be not yet ready for 1809. That’s true of a lot of machines.

As far as waiting… yeah, that’s what I would do. At some point 1809 will become available on your older desktop. That’s the time to make the plunge. 1903 won’t be ready for normal users for at least six months.

• #328763 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

what kinds of computers are you using, Charles Romer?
      Use the Speccy tool to determine the make and model nos. of your 32bit and 64bit desktop computers (AND what processors they use and how much RAM in GBs [gigabytes] they use)

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by
         EP.
    • #328802 Reply

Zaphyrus
      AskWoody Lounger

In my opinion 1803 is the safest option, since 1809 isn’t ready yet for you

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
    • #328821 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Since GWX is dead on Win 7 what do you mean by ‘offered ‘ ?
      offered via ‘Check for Updates’ ?

I would have stayed on Win 7 blocking Microsoft updates.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by
         Alex5723.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 7 to Win 10: 1803 or 1809 or 1903?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: