News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 8.1 Pro & AKB 2000012 – Do Sessions and Tasks stay Neutralized?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Questions: Win 8.1 (and Win 8) Win 8.1 Pro & AKB 2000012 – Do Sessions and Tasks stay Neutralized?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

Hi,

I have recently moved from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro and have a question about neutralizing telemetry as per the ‘AKB 2000012: How To Neutralize Telemetry….’ topic.

Is it normal for deleted/disabled aspects of the ‘Unified Telemetry Client’ and the ‘Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser’ to reappear after installing a Security Monthly Quality Rollup?

After installing KB4565541 (2020-07 July SMQR) I found that ‘AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener’ reappeared in Startup Event Trace Sessions even though it had previously been disabled and deleted within Computer Management.

Whilst following PKCano’s Windows 8.1 install guide, I also found that previously deleted tasks in Task Scheduler (Application Experience & CEIP) would reappear after installing Security Monthly Quality Rollups. This behaviour didn’t seem to have any particular pattern to it, having gone through a few installation dummy runs.

In Windows 7 Pro, this wasn’t an issue for me – items remained disabled or deleted after installing any new update.

Is this normal behaviour in Windows 8.1 Pro or have I missed something out in my attempts to neutralize telemetry? Just to add, I manually disable items rather than running the script.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

Huge thanks to abbodi86 for the telemetry guide and to PKCano for the clear step by step advice in the ‘Win 7 replacement with original Win 8.1 – issues’ thread. A further nod to the other contributors in that thread also.

PKCano
        Manager

Running the script as a Scheduled Task at startup avoids any attempt by Microsoft to reinstall telemetry periodically.

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Done it differently with success for well over a year.
        Removed the diagtrack service and run the script manually after patch tuesday installations.
        elevated cmd prompt:
        sc stop diagtrack
        sc delete diagtrack
        no sfc errors on 3 devices running Win7/8.1
        Note: DISM repair re-introduces diagtrack but if your careful, there will be no need for DISM

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT- AE
        anonymous

Many thanks for your replies.

I expected this kind of thing to happen with Windows 10 but was pretty surprised to see deleted tasks reappear on Win 8.1 – especially after I’d been careful with the fresh install.

Just one other question with regards to neutralizing telemetry – Is it normal that I have not seen any sign of ‘AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener’ or ‘Diagtrack-Listener’ in Event Trace Sessions? I’ve noticed ‘AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener’ in Startup Event Trace Sessions but neither have ever been present in the former category.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 8.1 Pro & AKB 2000012 – Do Sessions and Tasks stay Neutralized?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.