News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win 8.1 Pro Log In

• This topic has 10 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        Purg2
        AskWoody Lounger

Just got a refurbished Asus X551M with Win 8.1 Pro OS.

Something I’m not fond of is that I have to log in everytime I turn on the machine or do a restart.

The other one I have doesn’t make me do that.  Asus X55C Win 8.1 Home OS.

Is there a way to convince the Pro edition machine to not make me do this?  Kinda sucks right now ‘cus of all the updates I’m doing, wipes brow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Win 8.1 (home & pro) Group B, Linux Dabbler

• #2306673 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Settings (gear icon)\Accounts\Sign-in options.

You can also access it through
        Control Panel\User Accounts\Make changes to my account

• #2306680 Reply
        Purg2
        AskWoody Lounger

Sorry for the delay, my fingers slipped & I lost the tab & had to start over.

From the charms bar the settings gear does nothing.

From the start menu shell I have installed, PC settings just blinks.

From CP\category view\User Accounts And Family Safety\Change account type I select my account.  It then presents the following options with the heading Make changes to **** account:
        Change the account name
        Change the password
        Set up family safety
        Change the account type
        Mangage another account

From the CP\ small icons view\User Accounts it says nearly the same thing with a pronoun instead:
        Make changes to my account in PC settings – clicking this link does nothing
        Change your account name
        Change your account type
        Manage another account
        Change User Account Control settings

I tried it with the windows updater off, wondering if that was somehow hosing it up.  Didn’t help.

This is an administrator account.  Might that have anything to do with it?

Amazing how sometimes a small thing can be such a PITA.  Especially after all it’s been through to get setup right from the Win 10 downgrade.

Sure hope I missed something in your instructions or there’s another way.

Edit note:  I almost forgot to mention that I had changed the m$ account to a local account yesterday via PC settings.  Today it just won’t load that section.

• #2306688 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

What third-party software are you running to do away with Win8.1 tiles?
          I am using Open Shell and everything still works.
          This is from Win8.8 Pro with an Admin account

Screen-Shot-2020-10-24-at-1.59.44-PM

Takes me to the settings App and this

Screen-Shot-2020-10-24-at-2.00.19-PM

Attachments:
        • #2306693 Reply
          Purg2
          AskWoody Lounger

https://www.iobit.com/en/update/sm8/

This is what was on the other Asus machine w/home edition.  Turns out it’s a trial version.  I thought I’d let it expire & then pay for the full version.  It had occurred to me that it might be flaky, so I’ll uninstall it & see how that works.

Will do that now & report back.  Hums Jeopardy theme.

• #2306700 Reply
          Purg2
          AskWoody Lounger

When the start menu was installed, clicking on PC settings on that menu, the gear splash screen would load for a second, thought about it, then poof, went away.  This was where I went to access accounts\sign-in options yesterday to switch to a local account.

The start menu shell is gone.  Back to tiles.  Even did a restart.

Clicking the gear from charms does nothing.  Can’t for the life of me get to that spot that says sign-in options.  Yesterday I could, today I can’t.  Tried a few times, no gear.

Control panel display is the same, no dice there.

I need to step away from this for a bit.  Get some fresh air & go for a walk.  Might try safe-mode upon return.  Will report back.

• #2306684 Reply
        anonymous
      • #2306731 Reply
        Purg2
        AskWoody Lounger

Interesting results, although not entirely favorable.

Safe mode was no help.  However, while searching for alternatives, discovered a thing or two.

Win+F\search settings\input-PC Settings enter, produced this error.  Search of AppData “AAA” produced no results.

gpedit showed me this.  Am now wondering if configuration is in order.

• #2306739 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Check through the eightforums link above and see if it applies to your case.

• #2306749 Reply
        Purg2
        AskWoody Lounger

That eightforums business looked like it might be too risky to get back from.  I’ll re-read it a few more times & see if I can handle it or not.

Is there a way to configure anything from the gpedit stuff?

• #2306753 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

It is a possibility that the iobit start 8 (was that the program?) made some settings changes to the Registry turn off the tile format in Win8.
        Another thing I would check – look on the iobit website and see if they have an uninstaller for the software. Possibly on their Support section.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win 8.1 Pro Log In

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.