Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win10 1709 programs come back from the dead on reboot inspired rant

Home Forums Outside the box Rants Win10 1709 programs come back from the dead on reboot inspired rant

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  MrJimPhelps 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

I started this rant, by simply responding to https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/win10-1709-programs-come-back-from-the-dead-on-reboot/

I realized I was ranting… so came here, for a chance to vent, rather than spew forth angrily in more civilized places… and here it goes…

From the Free Software Foundation:

“The desire to own a computer or device and have full control over it, to know that you are not being spied on or tracked, to run any software you wish without asking permission, and to share with friends without worrying about Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) — these are the desires of millions of people who care about the future of technology and our society. Unfortunately, hardware manufacturers have until now relied on close cooperation with proprietary software companies that demanded control over their users. As citizens and their customers, we need to promote our desires for a new class of hardware — hardware that anyone can support because it respects your freedom.”

It sounds like we are running smack into the wall of proprietary software and hardware…

Intel inserts the ME, AMD inserts PSP (Platform Security Processor). Microsoft works with them so that the end user can be forced to use their non-free systems… and we can see how wonderful that can be, with Win 10, automatic updates on any system, end of life or use on new processors at Microsoft’s discretion… forget behind the scenes, you cannot even control what is seen on your desktop…

People have been willing to put up with all of this, because it has worked for them… offering them what they wanted, and new and better was new and better… but it isn’t anymore. Clearly the present cluster, uh, well, it is so hard to avoid referring to it any other way… but… mash up…  of vulnerabilities, patches, and bugs in patches, combined with an update model that takes control out of end users hands… serves to demonstrate why free (as in freedom to use, not cost) soft and hardware is essential in the long run. Yes, it isn’t always as good at the present time as the systems that seek to harvest your data and value rather than provide value to you… but people are often unaware that there are options.

This whole January update thing motivated me to research some more… about free software and hardware options. Yes, I might pay more and have less… but what I have will be mine to use as I see fit, rather than having to conform to more and more restrictions from providers who don’t respect or treat me as a customer or artificially limit my control over software and hardware I bought. I appreciate the AskWoody Lounge for providing what Microsoft doesn’t, in a prolonged attempt to make Windows act like free software that respects its users…

I’m certainly in 100% agreement with FSF’s statement above… I want to control my computer, not be controlled by it… and Microsoft doesn’t want to give me that control in W10, and is not just changing how it works, or how to access controls, but deliberately downgrading what they are offering, removing what control once existed, implementing premature end of life for software and hardware, and limiting what can be done on new hardware. It isn’t just a matter of not documenting changes… they are demonstrating what they can and will do to your system, and your consent matters not, other than being hooked into (by fair and foul) running their OS in the first place. It was once a bright and shiny new marketing toy… but do any of you fish… and understand what a lure is? Pleading with them to be nicer, or give more time, or add more features doesn’t change the character of the relationship they are offering to us. Now that you are caught on that lure, all the running back and forth will only serve to tire you out, until they can reel you in for that final ‘gotcha’.

I understand that free software and hardware aren’t quite as bright and shiny, but what is being developed is definitely getting more and more useful. Personally, I think the market forces could use a big push from consumers looking for, and choosing free options, because I’ll still be able to use that hardware until it actually wears out, or I drop it once too many times (and I drop everything!)… and that software will be useable, as long as it serves my needs, or something better comes along.

First, with W10, you don’t get to customize (as in not have unsolicited offerings show up) your desktop and privacy and security settings (still waiting for that one switch that will turn all telemetry off… actually glad it never happened because I would have upgraded)… and now you can’t get away from problematic programs with a restart? I’m not techy, but I can definitely see the direction this is going… all Microsoft’s way, all the time, even for those who might try to do something more along the way they want or need, and put in the time and energy into learning how… there isn’t going to be any how to learn! At least when Woody writes Windows for Dummies, he is teaching us how to make it work for us… but Microsoft has no confusion on its part, as to how we will work for them… and I can see now why W10 would be the last OS… once Microsoft has complete control over your system, they won’t have to worry, because you will be stuck without options… and they will forcefeed what they want you to see and use, day in and day out… and it will restart ad nauseum, sucking like leeches on your wallet, year in and year out. At least that is what it looks like from a non techy, non W10 user viewpoint. Sometimes it is nice not to be distracted over all those bright and shiny new things, and just look at where something is headed… and notice that there is no way for you to decide which programs or apps you want to restart. It would be nice to be able to customize all, some, or nothing, but that isn’t what is offered… End user choices are not okay, if they limit telemetry or Microsoft’s control. Notice how little effort Microsoft has put into allowing you to customize anything in W10, and how they have gone out of their way to eliminate your choices! Microsoft is selling access to you, to whatever they choose as in their best interests, or whoever pays the most… anytime your system is up and running…

It isn’t that Microsoft couldn’t sell free software… because they could. They could sell and support it, and as limited as my funds are, I’d buy it… I’d buy another 10 years of Win 7 or 8.1 for my next system, just like I did with this Win 7 laptop, but they are choosing not to offer any such already stable and secure product… they want control now, because that will ensure control in the future… and giving customers actual choice means they won’t be able to trap them into subscribing (paying money), apps (paying money), and premature end of life (paying money to hardware partners)… more control means more money… for them… and you thought your computer was working for you!

For those of us who value freedom over bright and shiny lures, I’m offering this link to the Free Software Foundation at https://www.fsf.org/

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #161801 Reply

AlexEiffel
      AskWoody MVP

Having the choice of using my computer without unwanted software, ads on the computer and telemetry if I don’t want it is something I find quite important.

Being able to opt-out for good of many background services or features I don’t want to waste bandwidth or resources running is something I find important.

Having a stable, reliable system that gets out of my way so I can focus on my work on the computer is something I find very important.

Not having the company deprecates or remove useful programs or OS parts like ReFS, image backups, Paint, calculator that nobody asked to have removed without a replacement that is at least as good is important. What good is my OS if I don’t know if what I bought, i.e. the ability to defer updates for Pro or some group policy settings, might just get removed out of greed and not any concern for my needs in a future version?

Trusting the company that makes and supports my OS is the most important.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #161884 Reply

Cascadian
      AskWoody Lounger

I have been refraining more from commenting on the one-last-OS-ever, in all its myriad forms. While I struggle with it on other machines, and try to help a couple of individuals struggle with theirs, I have opted not to use it on a machine in my control.

But that doesn’t stop me having opinions, and I wanted you to know you have posted very well what I agree with. Thank you for taking the time, and doing it so well.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #161907 Reply

Elly
        AskWoody MVP

I’m feeling calmer today…

and it helps to know there are like-minded people out there…

Thank you for more succinctly summarizing the points that matter.

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #171702 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

This is why I run Linux Mint as the primary OS on my computer, with Windows 8.1 in a virtual machine. If I ever need Windows for something (occasionally I do), Windows is right there, just a click away. Then, when I’m done with Windows, I can make it disappear with just a click.

It just feels right for Windows to be only the step-child on my computer rather than the dominant player.

And I really enjoy saying that Windows is only the step-child!

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win10 1709 programs come back from the dead on reboot inspired rant

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.