News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win10 1903 Pro problem – Defer updates period too long

Posted on jburk07 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update Win10 1903 Pro problem – Defer updates period too long

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  jburk07 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

jburk07
      AskWoody Plus

I got a “new” refurbished Windows 10 Pro v. 1903 laptop last weekend and am completely new to Windows 10. When I was setting up the Windows update settings, I set the deferral period for quality updates to 25 days to make sure I’d have time to read all the AKB’s about update settings and get the thing set up before I was hit by Windows updates. I managed to get it through the October updates and was feeling pretty proud of myself. Well, that didn’t last long.

As it turns out I’m going out of town tomorrow and won’t be back until after Patch Tuesday. If I understand correctly the 25 days will be up on Saturday, or after Saturday (December 7). The deferral settings of course disappeared after I set them, so I can’t change that now, right?

I have the Group Policy set to 2, Notify to download updates.

If I can’t change the deferral setting, can I just have my husband turn on the laptop on Sunday, and the November updates will show up at some point? Then once they appear in the list, will they just sit there waiting until I get back and can download them? Or will they be replaced by the December patches on Tuesday?

Group A:
      Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Ivy Bridge
      Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 Arrandale
      Win 10 Pro x64 v1903 Ivy Bridge
      Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2

• #2015526 Reply

jburk07
      AskWoody Plus

I managed to figure it out after reading further posts here on AskWoody. I enabled the Group Policy setting under Windows Update – Business – Select when Quality Updates are received and changed the setting to 21 days.

Then I ran wushowhide (after first unchecking Advanced – Apply repairs automatically), and the November CU KB4524570 showed up, along with the MSRT and today’s Windows Defender updates.

In Windows Update, these 3 updates showed up as expected. Since I won’t be here after the “active hours” are over, I took a deep breath and clicked Check for Updates, and all 3 installed.

After restarting, things look good so far. The deferral settings are back on the Advanced Options screen in Update, with the quality update deferral showing the 21 days but grayed-out since it’s set in Group Policy. Even after I set it back it 0, changed that setting back to Not Configured, and restarted, it’s still showing 21 and grayed out in Updates. That’s fine for now anyway.

Thanks for all the great information on this site!

Group A:
      Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Ivy Bridge
      Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 Arrandale
      Win 10 Pro x64 v1903 Ivy Bridge
      Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win10 1903 Pro problem – Defer updates period too long

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.