News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • win10 1903 update breaks wifi

Posted on berniec Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 win10 1903 update breaks wifi

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  cyberSAR 2 weeks ago.

• Author

berniec
      AskWoody Plus

I have an occasionally-used laptop that has win10/home 1903 on it. I keep meaning to buy the pro-upgrade but I’ve been stalling. SO.. the darn thing updated itself with the October patches and mostly it works ok, only *every* time I restart the labtop [either from hibernate or a full shutdown/restart the wifi doesn’t work. I can do the ‘troubleshoot’ in the the network settings and it says, every time, resetting the wifi and then it all works perfectly. This is with an oldish Dell laptop.

• #1996918 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

@berniec… I use several old Dell laptops as test devices with differing versions of Win 10. Why not just do a clean install and do any potential troubleshooting from there?

Why do you need Pro? I’ve seen all the arguments but am not yet convinced. 🙂

PS – I now disable ‘not so smart shutdown’ on every device I deal with. More trouble than it’s worth IMO. I would rather have a better functioning device than shave a few seconds off bootup time. IMO, life’s too short to deal with all the issues that this kludge introduces. 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1997796 Reply

Zig
      AskWoody Plus

Rick,

‘not so smart shutdown’  – Is this the same as Fast Startup??

Zig

• #1997828 Reply

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

Zig – Yes, I mean Fast Startup. I was being facetious but for a very good reason. I know most people have no problems with it, especially on modern kit. Unfortunately my experience has been different.

My best-specced tower would never shutdown properly… it would just hang at the ‘Shutting down’ screen. No amount of waiting worked. After reading Walter Glenn’s The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode article I solved the issue by disabling Fast Startup and haven’t had the same issue since.

Since then I’ve had the same experience with several older laptops… and fixed them all by disabling Fast Startup. I also do a lot of re-imaging of test laptops… and booting to a device boot menu is hampered with Fast Startup enabled.

My conclusion was that – for me – Fast Startup was of little benefit compared to the problems it caused. As a result my auto-configuration script now disables Fast Startup as a matter of course.

Hope this helps…

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #1997869 Reply

cyberSAR
          AskWoody Plus

First thing I do on every 10 system is disable fast startup. Too many issues for very little benefit.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: win10 1903 update breaks wifi

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.