News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win10 2004 alters microphone sound

Posted on jpbrown5012 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 2004 – May 2020 Update Win10 2004 alters microphone sound

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        jpbrown5012
        AskWoody Plus

I have two Dell XPS 8900 towers with Realtek HD audio. For video conferencing, I use a Creative USB camera with microphone. Both computers just updated Win10 to 10.0.19041. The camera/mic is fine on one of them (the backup one), but on the other one now I sound like a chipmunk. I’ve reinstalled the Realtek driver twice and have looked in vain for any other settings that might be causing this. Obviously, this makes the computer unusable for conferencing. Any suggestions???

• #2298837 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

Helium?
        But seriously have you swapped out the mic/cam on the machines as a first step?
        May be the Realtek audio manager had a sound effect or room correction upset during an update.
        If you do not have an Icon shown for it in the Notification area, assuming you have it installed, you can chose to show the icon in Taskbar settings.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        • #2298881 Reply
          jpbrown5012
          AskWoody Plus

Yes, I swapped the camera/mic between the two computers. That’s how I know it works OK on the second computer.

I don’t see any options in the Realtek audio control for setting anything like sound effects or room corrections.

• #2298883 Reply
        jpbrown5012
        AskWoody Plus

OK, I think I got it fixed. The main computer set the microphone to 24 bit quality. The backup set it to 16 bit quality. When I changed the main one to 16 bits, it sounds normal again. GAAAHHHHH! This was frustrating!

• #2299057 Reply
          wavy
          AskWoody Plus

Glad you got it working although I am a bit surprised that that change alone would have made a difference.

BTW FYI

Capture-4

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
          Attachments:
          • #2302555 Reply
            EP
            AskWoody_MVP

that screenshot may not apply to jpbrown5012’s situation, wavy, as you are using a Gigabyte system and he is using Dell computers with different audio options for Realtek audio.

the Sound Effects and Room Correction options in Realtek HD Audio Manager may not appear on some configurations like on most Dell computers because Dell chose to implement Waves MaxxAudio Pro sound enhancement (I checked the technical specs of XPS 8900 and it lists “Integrated 7.1 channel Realtek ALC3861 High Definition Audio with Waves MaxxAudio Pro”) and the MaxxAudio Pro sound options will appear in the Realtek Audio Manager instead of the usual options like Room Correction.

also the Dell specific Realtek audio drivers have the Realtek HD Audio Manager control panel program renamed to simply “Dell Audio” as noted in this Dell forum topic “What happened to the original Realtek Sound Manager?”

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by EP.
            1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win10 2004 alters microphone sound

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.