News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Win10 eats files and other set up problems

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Win10 eats files and other set up problems

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        areader
        AskWoody Plus

I’m ready to kill all 4 of my Win10 computers. I have a desktop, a tablet, and my old and new laptops. I’m trying to set up the new laptop, but when I try to copy things to the correct system folder or even one I create (C:\data\ (new folder name), it eats the original file. I can’t import my Firefox profile following the directions on the Firefox website because I’m not allowed to create the new folder for my profile. And my file that told me how to customize Win10 exactly how I like it was on one of the old computers yesterday, and now it’s gone. And no, I didn’t delete it and I checked all 3 recycle bins. I no longer know how to NOT set up my new laptop with the MS sign in (nor how to sign in locally). Nor do I know how to tell it not to show things like the “Shortcut” addition to links. I can’t search for all those customizations (or at least the ones I remember) because I’m on a metered connection.

I can take the laptop back to the shop I got it from and tell them to give me bare-naked windows (again) but without that file on how to set up Windows the way I want, I’ll be stuck with a Windows where I’m constantly balked from doing what I want the way I’m used to.

And to top it off, one of my favorite programs no longer keeps its data in the app data folder it creates, it keeps that data in the program files (x86) folder! That I can cope with, but why the ___ did it happen?

Did the computer shop install Windows so that I’m not an administrator, and therefore I’m not allowed to change things? But that shouldn’t cause Windows to eat files, should it?

I have checked the old computers for malware and there doesn’t seem to be any.

Help!

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Windows doesn’t eat files, there will be another explanation.
        Do you have backups of the other machines so you can recover the missing files?

You can reinstall Windows on the new laptop by downloading an ISO, double clicking it to mount and running setup.exe from the new drive. Choose to reinstall and overwrite everything to get a new setup.

Alternatively, the laptop may have a recovery partition with the original install files.
        Hold Shift when you click Restart and you should get an option to boot to the recovery environment.

cheers, Paul

areader
          AskWoody Plus

I *thought* I had backups, but they turned out to be partial, missing some of those important customization files. I can’t use online backups, again because of the metered connection, and even things in my off-line backups got eaten when I copied them over to the new computer.

I can’t use a downloaded ISO because it’s too big for my metered connection. Also, there’s no way I can do the necessary updating to have a current version of windows.

But thanks for trying.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

“Eaten files” from a backup is not a thing. The backup still contains the files, you just have to put them in the correct place.

cheers, Paul

areader
          AskWoody Plus

I have to find them first. When I copied them to the new computer they didn’t appear there and the originals disappeared. So where did they go. As far as I know, Windows permanently deleted them or, in other words, they got eaten..

anonymous

Have you considered the a possibility that the originals were moved to the new computer in a different place? (I have done sort of thing to myself  a few times.)

Please try searching for the filename using the Cortana bot.

areader
              AskWoody Plus

A VERY smart idea. Yes, indeed. I found them. The only  thing I can think of is my finger slipped on my trackball when I was trying to click on the correct folder.

Thank  you!

Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

What sort of backup do you have?
            How did you copy the files to the new PC?

cheers, Paul

areader
              AskWoody Plus

Copy to thumb drive and use that to copy to the new computer. I haven’t figured out how to make the computers talk to each other. But the files are now found.

I’m still working on why the files for the one program are in the program file folder rather than the appdata folder. The program works fine; it just doesn’t make sense to me.

Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

Copy to thumb drive

That is not a backup, it’s a temporary copy. (thumb drives are not reliable storage)

Make a backup to an external hard disk drive. Cheapest insurance you can get.

Backing up my computer

cheers, Paul

areader
                AskWoody Plus

My *backups* are to external hard drives. I use the thumb drives for moving stuff from 1 computer to another.

Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

So you do have a backup of the files and could have restored them to the new PC. This is good.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Win10 eats files and other set up problems

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.