Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win10 FCU version 1709 out of band update KB 4058043

Home Forums AskWoody blog Win10 FCU version 1709 out of band update KB 4058043

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  b 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

Patch Tuesday was, well, Tuesday. On Friday, Microsoft released a “bonus” patch for Win10 version 1709, the Fall Creators Update. It is NOT a cumulati
      [See the full post at: Win10 FCU version 1709 out of band update KB 4058043]

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #152620 Reply

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody MVP

Will it become part of a future cumulative update? Does it change the Windows build number? I don’t want anything to do with the Microsoft Store myself, so I’m not going to install it.

This does not seem like a company well in control of its update process, but it DOES prove that the “cumulative” part really is completely arbitrary.

They could return to a granular approach, with occasional (e.g., around the time of CBB promotion – whatever it’s going to be called this time) cumulative updates. It’s clear the Outer Limits (“we have control of your set”) approach really isn’t working.

Giant, hard-to-swallow pills aren’t good for anyone.

And… Minor nit… Whenever I see it, for some reason I have trouble reading that “FCU” acronym without sounding it out in my head. ?

-Noel

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #152688 Reply

MikeFromMarkham
        AskWoody Lounger

Minor correction: the SciFi show you’re referring to was The Outer Limits… Otherwise, I think you nailed it!

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #152753 Reply

ky41083
        AskWoody Lounger

And here I thought I was the only one that noticed “Windows 10 version ‘f**k you'” was actually a thing…

• #152630 Reply

anonymous

How long until it’s safe to install fall creators update? Wait until January or February? Maybe March?

• #152676 Reply

anonymous

After downloading, it started to install itself, not waiting for any permission – very unusual.

• #153038 Reply

b
        AskWoody Lounger

Not unusual at all; all Windows 10 updates are automatic. (Those that require a restart may notify you, but not others.)

• #152685 Reply

BillBecker
      AskWoody Lounger

Installed automatically on my 1709 system with no reboot required.  Build is still 16299.125.

• #152694 Reply

abbodi86
      AskWoody MVP

It’s just a minor one-component update for Store Install Service (that handle Apps installation)

it doesn’t deserve to make a scene 🙂

• #152843 Reply

Noel Carboni
        AskWoody MVP

Some of us might say that EVERY part of Microsoft’s new policy changes deserve air time, lest people start to accept being controlled as “normal”.

Random thoughts, in no particular order…

• Did updates NEED to be made so intrusive as to require a site like this? What happened to “if it works, don’t fix it”?
        • Do we NEED a Microsoft store? What has it done for you lately that you couldn’t do by browsing the internet yourself?
        • What is so important to USERS that it couldn’t wait a month until the next “normal” cumulative update? Do you now have version 16299.125 or 16299.125* (* with December Extra Update)?
        • Microsoft has proven, with the GWX campaign among other bad policy decisions, that it can’t be trusted, so EVERYTHING they do needs to be scrutinzed.

-Noel

• #152966 Reply

Ascaris
          AskWoody MVP

Did updates NEED to be made so intrusive as to require a site like this? What happened to “if it works, don’t fix it”?

The devil, as always, is in the details.

Updates worked for us, the end users, but we’re not the ones Microsoft is interested in serving anymore.  Microsoft wants to serve Microsoft now, and for that purpose, the old update system was not working optimally.  That much is evident; we can safely say that if MS found the old system adequate, they would not have expended the resources to change it.  The old system gave too much control to users and too little to MS, so they changed it to one that fit their own needs better.

Do we NEED a Microsoft store? What has it done for you lately that you couldn’t do by browsing the internet yourself?

We (the end users) don’t, but the Microsoft Store, like Windows in general now, is not made to benefit us (though as always, MS will stridently tell us that everything they do is for our benefit).  The real question is what it would do for MS that they would not get from doing things the old way, and there are many answers, from the 30% commission on software sales to to an even greater degree of control over computers that do not belong to them, a necessary step in establishing that iOS style walled garden they covet so much.

What is so important to USERS that it couldn’t wait a month until the next “normal” cumulative update?

Unimportant things like bug fixes and security updates (things that only benefit the user, in other words) can wait a month until the next update, but the Microsoft Store is about benefiting Microsoft, and that can’t wait even one extra day.  Priorities, you know!

Microsoft has proven, with the GWX campaign among other bad policy decisions, that it can’t be trusted, so EVERYTHING they do needs to be scrutinzed.

Objective complete.  <g>

• #152900 Reply

anonymous

I orderdered an iMac last week. I use my laptop for work and thus I generate my income with it. Since I installed Windows 10, I had waves of problems with it. I hoped they were early adopter-bugs, but unfortunately they don’t go away. Every update is a risky business. Not to mention upgrades. When MS switched to twice per year uogrades (basically an inststall of Windows OVER an existing Windows) I started to have very serious doubts. After the debacle of november, where – while on the Business Branch – I was pushed over to the autumn update something broke in me. It cost me a whole night to repair all kinds of s*** that got broken. In the end I had to restore an image a couple of times until finally I could block this unwanted upgrade. That was the moment it was over for me. Used Windows for 25 years, but 10 is an absolute pushy disaster. That I choose for Mac OS X had one simple reason: unfortunately I need MS Office because of my clients. If that wouldn’t be the case, I would have been equally happy with Linux. It is impossible to work reliable with 10 when you are self employed or have a small company with an own IT-deartment. The update-terror, associated driver-disasters and general instability isn’t very tempting. So yes, I am out of the closet. I also know that no OS is perfect. I will bash no one who is happy with Windows (or any other OS). But for me? I just want my life back and stop spending hours of stress at least every update round every month.

• #152953 Reply

Noel Carboni
        AskWoody MVP

It is impossible to work reliabl[y] with 10 when you are self employed or have a small company with an own IT-de[p]artment.

Very well put. Except that I think the debacle doesn’t extend only to small business.

-Noel

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win10 FCU version 1709 out of band update KB 4058043

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.