News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win10 Pro 1809 How to change Word to open in Home, not File

Posted on alexcris Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Productivity software by function MS Word and word processing help Win10 Pro 1809 How to change Word to open in Home, not File

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

NetDef 3 weeks ago.

• Author

alexcris
      AskWoody Plus

Since I updated to 1809, Word opens with File in the heading.  I do not find that useful at all.  I want to have immediate access to changing format.  How can I do it?

• #1858990 Reply

NetDef
      AskWoody_MVP

1) I recommend you change File > Options > General (then scroll down) and UNcheck “Show the Start Screen when this application starts.”

2) Then reset your toolbar so it’s not minimized automatically (which causes the File tab to be default when opening Word in this mode).  To do this click any menu option to drop the Ribbon down, then look at the far right of the ribbon for a tiny pushpin icon.  Click that.

word365_2016_ribbonpin

Now close word and re-open to test.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

Attachments:

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win10 Pro 1809 How to change Word to open in Home, not File

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.