News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win10’s 18-month ‘service life’ complicates updates

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Win10’s 18-month ‘service life’ complicates updates

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  James Bond 007 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Tracey Capen
      AskWoody MVP

LANGALIST By Fred Langa All current versions of Windows 10 reach their official “end of service” just 18 months after their initial release. Once a ve
      [See the full post at: Win10’s 18-month ‘service life’ complicates updates]

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1875124 Reply

doriel
      AskWoody Lounger

I would say, that it also complicates Windows 10 deployment, since I have to prepare fresh Windows image every six months. The other way is: I can still use old image for deploying and then let it install updates from WSUS, but this solution lacks elegance, includes tiny amount of risk and uses more space on HDD.
      Also if you somehow managed to block udates and remain on older version that is out of support, do you have to re-license your W10, or will it be still possible to upgrade from 1703 to 1809 directly (or through three separate steps)?

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
      --- Thomas A. Edison

• #1875157 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

What really is the problem, is that some devices just don’t seem to work right with later builds of Windows 10 and even Windows Server.

And I mean, including some devices that are actually worth more than the PC. By orders of magnitude in some cases.

Some of these seem to work just fine if you first disconnect those devices, then install the updates and do one more reboot, let run normally for 10 or so minutes and then reconnect. So, seems that this should be done for *every* cumulative after the first build with the problem… bother.

• #1875268 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

perhaps that’s why I use LTSB/C editions of Win10 since I’m using old PCs that may or may not work with the current & future feature upgrades for Win10

• #1875314 Reply

SonicMojo
      AskWoody Lounger

I have a question about the “18 month” servicing window as well – why is it that I see MS issuing patches for 1507 etc every couple of months when this version would have been retired like years ago?

Who would be running 1507 AND – I thought hitting the end of 18 months servcing means no more patches.

Why would an antique like 1507 even get a patch AND why would MS waste time creating one?

Sonic.

• #1875317 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

There is a LTSB/C version that receives patches for 10 years. It is meant for special situations and is not available to the general public.

• #1875487 Reply

James Bond 007
          AskWoody Lounger

There is a LTSB/C version that receives patches for 10 years. It is meant for special situations and is not available to the general public.

is not available to the general public — True enough.
          is meant for special situations — That is Microsoft’s saying. I certainly don’t agree.

The LTSB/C can be used like normal Windows 10, as far as I can see. It works with all programs I used, such as iTunes, VLC, Handbrake, Firefox ESR etc. I even have a virtual machine with LTSB 2015 (1507) in which I installed Microsoft Office 2016 and it works fine (although I have never needed to use it much since I abandoned Office long ago).

It won’t be subjected to frequent updates like the Home/Pro versions of Windows 10, which I consider the greatest advantage over “normal” Windows 10. If I were forced to use Windows 10 in the future LTSB/C is the one I will use.

Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.

• #1875333 Reply

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Why would an antique like 1507 even get a patch AND why would MS waste time creating one?

The users of 1507… are in Enterprise and Education and they are paying for support. Just like those who will soon pay for Windows 7 support.

• #1875354 Reply

SonicMojo
      AskWoody Lounger

The users of 1507… are in Enterprise and Education and they are paying for support. Just like those who will soon pay for Windows 7 support.

That does not make a lot of sense.

While I just barely understand a need to stay with Windows 7 (and pay a hefty price because you are not ready to move and OS is literally unsupported) – I cannot think of a single reason that any Enterprise or EDU would remain at 1507 – let alone pay for that experience? Schools alone are massively strapped for budget dollars at the best of times – cannot see them wanting to pay to be 4 years behind.

It’s not like 1507 has any desirable redeeming value or is unique in that only it can run a specific app or piece of hardware. Not to mention there have been 5 better versions released since July of 2015.

Say what you will about Windows 10 – but it is light years better now (1809/1903) than it was in July of 2015.

And – if these 1507 patches are intended for “paying” customers – why are the patches easily downloadable from the Windows Update site? Come 2020 – the special Windows 7 patches will not be available to the general public in any way.

Sonic.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  SonicMojo.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1875489 Reply

James Bond 007
        AskWoody Lounger

That does not make a lot of sense.

While I just barely understand a need to stay with Windows 7 (and pay a hefty price because you are not ready to move and OS is literally unsupported) – I cannot think of a single reason that any Enterprise or EDU would remain at 1507 – let alone pay for that experience? Schools alone are massively strapped for budget dollars at the best of times – cannot see them wanting to pay to be 4 years behind.

It’s not like 1507 has any desirable redeeming value or is unique in that only it can run a specific app or piece of hardware. Not to mention there have been 5 better versions released since July of 2015.

Say what you will about Windows 10 – but it is light years better now (1809/1903) than it was in July of 2015.

And – if these 1507 patches are intended for “paying” customers – why are the patches easily downloadable from the Windows Update site? Come 2020 – the special Windows 7 patches will not be available to the general public in any way.

Sonic.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  SonicMojo.

Those updates you see in the Windows 10 Update History are for the LTSB 2015 version, which is based on 1507. It is supported for 10 years (5 years mainstream / 5 years extended, as Microsoft says), which is why you can see them and download them from the Update Catalog.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Microsoft said that it will designate a particular build of Windows 10 as LTSB / LTSC every 2 to 3 years. There are 2 other such versions at present : LTSB 2016 based on 1607, and LTSC 2019 based on 1809. They are supported for 10 years, and they will not be offered “feature updates” every 6 months.

This means that using them is just like using Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, where you receive security and maybe other updates for 10 years but not big changes every 6 months. This relative stability is what I and many others desire.

Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win10’s 18-month ‘service life’ complicates updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.