News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win10’s default lock screen is a wasted opportunity

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Win10’s default lock screen is a wasted opportunity

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Author
        Tracey Capen
        AskWoody MVP

LANGALIST By Fred Langa The default Win10 lock screen is awful — a cluttered mess of ads, random impersonal images, and vanilla system information. Bu
        [See the full post at: Win10’s default lock screen is a wasted opportunity]

• #2087462 Reply
        ibe98765
        AskWoody Plus

I have the Windows spotlight photo on my lock screen.  What is most annoying me to me is there is no ID of the photo, such as where it was taken.

And no, I don’t see any ads on my lock screen.  But I might have them blown away with one of the tweaking apps that I use.

• #2087469 Reply
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

Perhaps this warrants a new thread.

I have always been curious about where the lock screen images are from.  In particular, where is the cave on the beach, the lady runner on the (same?) beach, and the mountain lake?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

• #2087555 Reply
          JC Zorkoff
          AskWoody Plus

To find the Lock Screen Images in Windows 10, look at the files in

C:\Windows\Web\Screen

There are other folders in the Web folder with other images.

Access to this folder is restricted. If you want to play with the images directly, you will have to take ownership.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2087478 Reply
        steeviebops
        AskWoody Lounger

In most cases with Windows Spotlight, there’s a “Like what you see?” option in the top right. Hover over this to see where the photo was taken. You don’t always see it on a cold boot but you should when the session is locked or when woken from sleep.

Personally, I love it. Even on Windows 8.1 I had an app to set the lock screen background to that day’s Bing image.

• #2087479 Reply
        Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

Ads would make me quite angry.  They have no place on a commercial product.

Otherwise, I’m not very concerned about the look of the lock screen.  I just need a spot to enter the password.  I won’t be looking at it for long!

On Windows 8.1, it was just the basic bluish-purple with a generic silhouette for the avatar-like thing, the way it came “out of the box,” and I never bothered to find out if it could be changed.

In Neon, I am just using the picture that came with the default greeter.  It’s abstract, not depicting anything in particular, as far as I know.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.18.4).

• #2087480 Reply
        steeviebops
        AskWoody Lounger

I’ve never seen any advertising on it myself, maybe because I’m outside the US? It does sometimes have some links related to the photo but it’s more trivia than advertising.

• #2087550 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

That’s one of the first things I changed when I made the move to Windows 10 a couple of years ago.  On my Standard user account I changed the lock screen to one of my own images, and in Themes I changed the background image to a slideshow of my own images.  The images and slideshows were already there from the upgrade from Windows 7  (I don’t do clean installs).

For my Admin account, I left it as is, because I don’t stay there for any length of time.  That account is reserved for some maintenance work which requires one to logged into an account in the Administrators group.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #2087551 Reply
        chaloots
        AskWoody Plus

I’d previously tweaked many of the settings Fred recommends. As a result, my current lock screen displays only the bare essentials such as date and time. Though I too would prefer a different image other than the open-to-the-sea cave photo, the options open to me in “Background” are: Picture, Solid Color or Slideshow. There is no Windows Spotlight choice. It’s currently set on Slideshow as there are more than 300 4K images configured to shuffle. My concern is that should I choose “Picture” for that particular setting I might lose the slide show.

What further options are available to me?

The duration of a minute depends on which side of the bathroom door you're on.

Attachments:
      • #2087651 Reply
        LoneWolf
        AskWoody Plus

My work lock/login screen mimics the look of a DHS secure network login, because I’m silly like that.

My home ThinkPad, the Secret Service.

I also have fun ones for the ATF and FBI (I make them with cool department badges or seals found through an image search). Always gives novice users a double-take when they see me sign in. =)

We are SysAdmins.
        We walk in the wiring closets no others will enter.
        We stand on the bridge, and no malware may pass.
        We engage in tech support, we do not retreat.
        We live for the LAN.
        We die for the LAN.

• #2087649 Reply
        CSquared80
        AskWoody Plus

Perhaps it’s because I’m still running 1809? I don’t get a “Spotlight” option or the On/Off switch. Any suggestions?

• #2087701 Reply
        CSquared80
        AskWoody Plus

My bad, sorry! I failed to click on “Lock screen” so I was in the “Background” area instead. I wound up changing that to my dismay, but finally figured out how to get it back the way it was. After I finally woke up and selected “Lock screen” it worked exactly as advertised. I no longer have those irritating things on the screen plus have a nice picture of my choosing.

• #2087703 Reply
        CSquared80
        AskWoody Plus

Looks like chaloots did the same thing I did. Be sure to select “Lock screen” before proceeding.

• #2087791 Reply
          chaloots
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks for this tip, CSquared80. I see now which setting is which. Grazie.

I’m still concerned that changing the ‘correct’ Background setting from my preferred slideshow to Picture will negate the slideshow. It would be much appreciated if anyone would chime in to verify that, one way or another.

The duration of a minute depends on which side of the bathroom door you're on.

Viewing 11 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win10’s default lock screen is a wasted opportunity

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel