Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win7-Group B. Haven\’t updated since May\’17. What do I do to get updated?

Posted on forgefu Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Win7-Group B. Haven\’t updated since May\’17. What do I do to get updated?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Kirsty 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

forgefu
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi,

I have Win7 and was closely following the Group B security update steps for a while but I basically forgot after some medical problems started happening and I forgot to pay attention. I was consistent until Dec’16. It looks like I got some updates in April and May 2017, and then one update in July ’17 along with a Silverlight update, then one more in January ’18 (KB4034679) and that is it.

Q: How should I approach getting my system securely updated fully at this point? From what I have intermittently read over this period, the anti-telemetry battle is basically lost, or at least the Group A,B,W thing is pointless now. Maybe that means it is a little easier to update at least.

Should I just go get all those security updates for all those missing months and install sequentially one at a time? Or is there an alternative?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #192768 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

Start by setting Windows Update to “Never check for updates” before you go online so you will have some control over what is installed.

+ To follow Group B, you will need to start by hiding Monthly Rollups. Beguin wiht 2018-05 Rollup – hide then search for updates, hide the next monthly Rollup, search, until you have hidden all back to Oct 2016. Also hide the telemetry patches.
      + Use AKB2000003 to make al list of the Security-only patches that are NOT installed on your computer. Download these and the latest IE11 Cumulative update.
      + Download KB4099950 from the MS Catalog (there will be two files, an .msu and an .exe).

There is no need to reboot between the security-only patches.

+ Install the Security-only patches you are missing up to and including Feb 2018
      + Install KB4099950 (double click on the .msu, the .exe will be executed during the installation)
      + Install the remaining Security-only patches and the IE11 CU.
      + Reboot. Wait 15 minutes after logging in to proceed.

Run Windows Update. Hide any patches you don’t want to install (watch for KB2952664 and hide it). Install the remaining patches. Reboot. Repeat until there are no more patches offered.

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #192986 Reply

forgefu
        AskWoody Lounger

Thank you so much PKCano. I have found a lot of help in some of your earlier posts/comments as well, so thank you for those too.

I have had “never check for updates” selected all along.

Question(s):

1. Is Group B (A,W) still a thing? I thought Woody and others, yourself probably included, had determined that it was impossible to do or moot (I don’t remember). In fact, I was following your advice above at first each month (security only monthly one at a time, avoiding telemetry patches, then just the cumulative update for ie. I also did the malicious removal tool i think), but vaguely recall that there was some point where that MS made that strategy not viable to avoid telemetry or something. That might have been the first time I skipped patching before the med stuff.
        2. What about .NET stuff where MS looks to have bundled the two KB4099633 “2018-05 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1…”. Just skip? The only reason I am aware of .NET is because I have Visual Studio ’15 installed. I don’t really use it but I did a tiny bit back in ’15. Should I just hide this any such in prior months?
        3. Should I install or avoid/hide the Malicious SW Removal Tool like KB890830 and for prior months? I think that would be just the latest like IE, if I should install?

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  forgefu.
        • #193002 Reply

PKCano
          AskWoody MVP

Is Group B (A,W) still a thing?

There are quite a few people still pursuing Group B updating, but it is getting more and more difficult. If you have followed the baove instructions and are up to date with Group B patching, the only thing you have to do to move to Group A is install the latest Monthly Rollup.

What about .NET stuff

You should install the .NET ROLLUPS from Windows Update. If the description does not say “Rollup” the patch may be the installer for a later version of .NET (like v4.7.1). If you want to install the later versions, do so, but if not, hide them.

Should I install or avoid/hide the Malicious SW Removal Tool

The Malicious SW Removal Tool is OK to install.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #193340 Reply

forgefu
            AskWoody Lounger

You should install the .NET ROLLUPS from Windows Update.

Do I need to go in order and install all of this type from oldest to newest?

If I do need the old ones (in some order) how would I find the old ones?

Only the current May Security and Quality .NET Rollup is showing currently.

Re MS removal tool, do I need all of these or just the latest one?

Thanks again.

• #193344 Reply

PKCano
              AskWoody MVP

If you install through Windows Update, you don’t have to do anything. Windows Update will install the .NET updates for the version(s) you have installed in the correct order. All you have to do is search for updates and install whatever .NET Rollups are checked.

Same goes for the MS Removal Tool – whatever WU offers is what you need.

4 users thanked author for this post.
            • #193959 Reply

forgefu
              AskWoody Lounger

Thank you.

• #194265 Reply

anonymous

Hi

Why should I never install 2018-05 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4103713)

I don’t understand this, should I never ever install the Preview? What do I do with it? Hide it?

As you can tell I don’t know much about computers.

Thanks for any help.

• #194270 Reply

Kirsty
        AskWoody MVP

Essentially, preview updates are for beta testing – not for general users.

• #194279 Reply

anonymous

Hi Kirsty
        Thanks for the info but if they are essentially for beta testing not for general use, what do I do with them when they show up in my updates?
        TIA

• #194285 Reply

Kirsty
          AskWoody MVP

Thanks for the information, but can I ask why you installed the Preview updates? Do you operate a test environment? If not, they should be ignored until the final version is issued as an Important Update the next month.

Preview updates are quite safe to ignore, but if you prefer, you can hide them. However, if you choose to hide them, your next run of Windows Update should give you the previous month’s preview version, when you get to repeat the process until no further Preview Updates show up. Previews should be Optional Updates, not Important.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win7-Group B. Haven\’t updated since May\’17. What do I do to get updated?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.