News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Win7 – Possible to manually apply patch?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches Win7 – Possible to manually apply patch?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

I have an old CRM database program that will only run under Wiindows 7. I just revived an old virtual machine that has it installed on it but it hasn’t been Windows updated in quite some time. The first thing I tried was the cumulative security update via W7ESUI but it made a big mess of the OS and broke a lot of things.  I reverted and installed some of the more serious patches one by one (ie the latest PrintNightmare patch only KB5004951) and was doing fine until I got to the Remote Desktop BlueKeep patch KB4499175 which caused the same Explorer issues as the cumulative update (I tried using W7ESUI and just running the msu directly)

just  a few issues I noticed straight off the bat are:

• Every time I try to rename/copy items I get “could not find the item…”. Clicking retry and it works
        • Nothing involving libraries works
        • The start menu search is broken
        • clicking on the <username> under the start menu should open c:\users\user folder – not working
        • Added “cmd” to folder context menu that does nothing

Some of the issues I can manually fix if I have to, but this is just in the first few minutes of playing around. Im sure there are other issues as well.

I really want to install the BlueKeep patch as the VM will be running Remote desktop.

Wondering if the patched files can be copied from another patched install or other way to manually apply the RD fix.

PKCano
        Manager

You don’t say when the last patches were applied.
        You should update Win7 using Windows Update through the January 2020 patches, first installing (or verifying they are already installed) some prerequisites.
        Patches later than Jan 2020 should be installed using Win7EUSI or the Bypass method. See this thread for instructions for Win7EUSI.

There are two threads detailing the method to update Win7. They mention the settings and prereq patches. The Rollups installed in the process were chosen to avoid the major glitches that MS had with the various vulnerabilities and bugs. It may help to read through them. They are not current, but you can use the method to install the later updates to Jan 2020.

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/any-advise-on-how-to-safely-update-a-new-win-7-home-premium-install/#post-1977331

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/asking-for-a-favor-about-updating-my-win-7/#post-1907521

If you need help, post here with your questions.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

Hi,

Latest patches are 12/18 (not including what I did today).

As I mentioned I already tried to use individual patches as well as Win7EUSI.
        Some of the updates are fine others mess up my system. The patch I am really looking to install is the RD patch and using either of the above methods is causing issues.

PKCano
          Manager

Here is information I can dig up.
          I see you are using KB4499175, May 2019 Security-only. Security-only patches since 2016 are listed in AKB2000003. They are not cumulative.
          + You may also need several other patches. The IE11 CUs are also listed in AKB2000003.
          + Have you installed KB4474419, dated Sept 2019, to enable SHA-2 verification?
          + You may also need Servicing Stack(s). March 2019 SSU KB4490628 (last before BlueKeep), or Aug 2020 SSU KB4516655 (first issued after BlueKeep) or Sept 2020 KB4570673 (See #2377425.)

There are also other Prereq patches – they are listed in the two linked threads above. If you do not verify the prereqs are installed, their lack can cause installation problems.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Win7 – Possible to manually apply patch?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.