News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win7 reboots after shut down

Posted on WSMrKnobs Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Win7 reboots after shut down

• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        WSMrKnobs
        AskWoody Lounger

I tried the obvious fix of unchecking the automatically restart box in “Startup and Recovery” / Advanced Tab / System Properties.   No luck.

Is it possible that the power supply is borked or is this definitely a software issue?   It’s getting old having wait for the fan to stop then clicking off the power supply switch.

Thanks!

Terry D.

• #2266140 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

I’m going to guess your computer is a desktop, since most laptops don’t have a “power supply switch.”
        Can you give us some information/specs on your computer hardware?
        When did this start happening?
        What have you done so far to troubleshoot the problem?

• #2266180 Reply
        WSMrKnobs

Right, it’s a desktop computer running WIN7 pro.   Wife’s computer and she didn’t speak up right away but her guess is it’s been about a year.  She’s a user not a dabbler so nothing was installed on it in all that time other than the semi-automatic updates to things like Adobe Flash and MalwareBytes.    I’ve allowed a few Windows updates on her desktop with the same decisions as I made for mine (we have the same rig from Altex Computers, their inhouse assembled Pentium desktop systems).

All I’ve tried so far is the unchecking the reboot from error box.

I suppose I could find out when it happened as my backup scheme for all our computers it to clone the drives every month or so and put them in a locked cabinet + one copy at a bank safe deposit box.   I rotate and replace the drives for the cloning so that I have not only recent backups but a backup for each 6 months going back 3 years or so.  So I could snap in a C drive from 6 months go, then one from a year ago, etc. to get a rough idea when it started.

Thanks in advance for any insight! 🙂

Terry D.

• #2266287 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

1 – Is this: always, usually, frequently, sometimes?
        2 – “Shut down” is via using the mouse: [Start orb] > Shut down ?
        3 – Do Sleep and Hibernate (if enabled) work correctly?

• #2266526 Reply
          WSMrKnobs

Hibernate is not available.  Sleep does not work correctly.  The computer goes into sleep mode correctly, but then immediately comes back out on its own.

• #2266339 Reply
        Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus

Something is waking up the computer after shutdown, and attached devices can do that, depending on their settings.  In Device Manager, look at your keyboard, mouse, and network adapter (maybe others?).  In each device, right click and select Properties.  Then select the Power Management tab, and check that “Allow this device to wake the computer” is not checked.  There may also be similar options in the BIOS/UEFI setup.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004

• #2266514 Reply
          PaulK
          AskWoody Lounger

Clarify for me please? I have understood ‘wake’ to mean ‘from sleep’. Does it also mean ‘to boot’? Yes, I do understand (I think) a network-initiated boot (a-la network adapter).

• #2266539 Reply
            WSMrKnobs

To clarify, this Win 7 pro computer desktop can be shutdown using Windows start button and choosing SHUT DOWN.  The computer is operating normally except that it every time it’s shut down it reboots immediately unless a person has their finger on the physical off switch on the power supply and turns it off as soon as the power supply fan noises stop.

Terry D.

• #2266531 Reply
          WSMrKnobs

Thank you.  That’s a good idea about the power settings in device manager.

The mouse, keyboard, and ethernet were set to allow to wake the computer.  From admin mode, I attempted to uncheck all the wake options, but unchecking the one that allows a magic packet to reboot the computer from power off state is automatically rechecked after click OK and close the device manager box.

I thought that quite strange so I tried another experiment.

I disconnected the computer from the ethernet thinking, well if some packet from the modem / router is causing the computer to reboot, then that will make sure no such packet arrived.

No, luck.  Shut down still results in a shut down followed by immediate reboot.

• #2266606 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Making progress – maybe.
        1 – “Boot from internet packet” may also be a BIOS-controlled setting. See if you can turn it off there.
        2 – Perhaps before that, Disable the network adapter.
        3 – If both these fail, maybe physically remove the network adapter card, assuming that it is discrete.

Why the focus here? Maybe the adapter card has ‘an anomaly’ and is ‘hot’? Seems remote, but this depends upon how much you want to twitch with the innerds.

• #2266706 Reply
          EP
          AskWoody_MVP

OP probably needs to look for “Network boot” or “Boot with PXE” option in the BIOS and disable it from there

• #2266662 Reply
        Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus

“shut down followed by immediate reboot” seems like it is actually doing a restart, not a shutdown.  Is there a period of time when the computer is completely “off”, with all the lights out?  The actual command for a shutdown is “shutdown.exe /s /t 0”.  The /s switch says to shut down, and /t 0 says to do it now, in zero seconds.  But the same command can also be used for a restart:  “shutdown.exe /r /t 0”, where the /r switch says to shut down and immediately restart.  Try running both commands (without the quotes) from an admin level command prompt and see what happens.  (For more information, enter “shutdown /?” at the command prompt to see all the other options.)

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Bundaburra.
      • #2267337 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

OK, here’s another unlikely possibility to check and eliminate.

But first, in 2266526 is

Sleep does not work correctly. The computer goes into sleep mode correctly, but then immediately comes back out on its own.

So why do Sleep and Shutdown (perhaps executed as a Restart?) misbehave?

At [ https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52834378 ] is an interesting report of a hacked computer that wouldn’t Sleep normally.

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win7 reboots after shut down

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.