News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win7 to Win8/8.1 update?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Questions: Win 8.1 (and Win 8) Win7 to Win8/8.1 update?

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        thokur
        AskWoody Lounger

I’m finally willing to migrate to Windows 8.1 on my favorite
        machine; not sure how to do it (or if it’s even possible). Can someone please direct me to directions for doing it?

• #2269532 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

There is no direct upgrade from Win7 to Win8.1

To upgrade you will need a legal Win8.1 license key and the install media for Win8.1
        If you have the key but not the install media, you can try downloading the ISO from Heidoc.net IF it is available. Download the Windows ISO download tool and run it on your computer. Choose Win8.1 ISO (if available).

You can also do a double upgrade. If you have Win8 install media/key, you can do an in-place upgrade feom Win7 to Win8, then another upgrade feom Win8 to Win8.1

• #2269571 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

The Windows 8.1 ISO image file can be downloaded from this Microsoft web site which still works – no restrictions on the site:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

no need to use the Windows ISO downloader tool to get Win8.1

edit

if OP wants to keep existing user files & programs during the upgrade from Win7 to Win8 and then to Win8.1, the OP will need two ISO image files – one for Win8 (8.0) {which will require searching thru Google as the Win8.0 ISOs are not available for download from MS} and the other for Win8.1 which the 8.1 ISOs are still available from MS

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by EP.
      • #2269605 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

I’d start by looking for Windows 8.1 oem device drivers (info from your device manager) to ensure devices can function properly in Win8.1.

Once you have collated all the oem device drivers, save them on a usb device then, I’d make a separate backup of your important data and an image backup of your existing OS (for fallback/failsafe) As a matter of personal preference, I’d use the official MS iso link provided by @EP.

Since there is no mention in your post that you have windows 8, I’d nuke Windows 7 and start over installing Win8.1 from scratch, the system will benefit from a completely fresh install (whilst offline) There are some good pointers, hints and tips in AKB-Askwoody Knowledge Base that will assist for your preparation.

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
      • #2269761 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Why do you want to change to W8? W7 runs happily and can be updated / patched via several methods.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win7 to Win8/8.1 update?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.