News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Win8.1 Patch Test Progress..

Posted on Microfix Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Windows 8.1 (and Win 8) patches Win8.1 Patch Test Progress..

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

Microfix
      Da Boss

Having previously imaged to September patches without the IE exploit patch,
      I proceeded to install the MSFT October 2019 patches on my home test device.
      Note: This is a hardware installation of Win8.1 x64 Pro and not a VM. I have MRT disabled due to sending ‘heartbeat’ telemetry.

Checking WU, I was initially offered SMQR kb4520005 and commenced installation.
      On completion and visual prompt, the system was rebooted.
      Allowing time for SSD to settle, approx 15-20mins whilst checking taskmanager
      disk activity and CPU usage, my usual checks were done within:

TaskScheduler
      Computer Management – Performance – Data Collector Sets
      to find, NO reactivation of telemetry or tasks were changed.
      Note: Diagtrack service removed since early 2018.
      Event Viewer displayed:

kb4520005Ev

Knowing there was an SSUv3 awaiting in WU,
      checked WU again and was presented with kb4521864 SSU.
      Installed (no reboot requ’d – but I rebooted anyway)

Checked Event viewer once again to find:

kb4521864SSUEv

SFC /Verifyonly showed the following:

Oct_SFC

After this, I checked our canon printer to find all is good there too.

Nice, albeit too early for mission critical/ regular home devices on Win8.1
      Will update this post upon discovery of any issues henceforth..

Tip: It’s an idea to save SSU patches from the catalog for storage offline,
      you never know when/if you’ll need them in the future..

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

Attachments:
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1977728 Reply

anonymous

? says:

thanks Microfix for posting the results. i used ghacks page to disable the heartbeat in MSRT (you probably know about it)

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/10/20/disable-microsoft-windows-malicious-software-removal-tool-heartbeat-telemetry/

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Win8.1 Patch Test Progress..

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.