News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Window 10 Home vs. Pro: A real-life test drive

Home Forums AskWoody blog Window 10 Home vs. Pro: A real-life test drive

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Fred Langa
        AskWoody MVP

LANGALIST By Fred Langa An upgrade from Home to Pro edition costs around US$100, but is it really worth it? What does Pro edition offer that Home lack
        [See the full post at: Window 10 Home vs. Pro: A real-life test drive]

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Neath1940
        AskWoody Plus

Another thing to consider is setting up a Secure Peer-to-Peer networking with Windows 10 Home.  Home works fine from the Client end but the server side there are problems.

First, there is no way to remove any client login to the Password Protected share from the Users Group for the Desktop.  Thus, when you go to log into the Desktop, you will find that everyone who has a login to a share can also login as a Desktop user!

Second, you can’t setup a separate Group for those Share Clients to simplify access by simply assigning a Client login to that Group and controlling things with the Group Settings.

You can setup a insecure network connection without these issues but you will run afoul of this Windows setting that MS has been know to turn on without notice in the past!

Screenshot-2021-07-19-084547

rc primak
        AskWoody_MVP

As noted in the Lounge and Susan Bradley’s postings here, the Windows Update for Business features are a compelling reason for some of us to upgrade to Pro. This is how those of us who care about controlling Windows Update can most conveniently regain the control which Windows 8 and 10 took away from us. Sure, third party programs can do the same job, but even they work better with a Pro system than with a Home system.

-- rc primak

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

Full drive encryption with BitLocker is essential for me. Only available in Pro.

That is the only deal breaker for me with Home edition. The Group Policy Editor is handy to have, but I think I could survive without it.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Window 10 Home vs. Pro: A real-life test drive

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.