News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Window 10 Time Server Fail

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Window 10 Time Server Fail

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Michael Austin
        AskWoody Plus

When I left my PC desktop last night (9-14), it’s clock showed the correct Pacific time. From a cold boot this morning (9-15) the computer had defaulted to Eastern time.

In my Windows 10 ‘Date & time’, ‘Current date and time’ settings, I noticed that there are two radio buttons for ‘Set time zone automatically’.

I turned off the second of the two, and set the ‘Time zone’ to Pacific. That change corrected the time to Pacific.

Might someone seeing this provide an idea why there are two ‘Set time zone automatically’ radio buttons, and why un-checking the second one corrected the time zone?

Merci.

W10-time

Finance, social and tech founder. Managing director of new crowd sourced games in pre-release development. Director on a new consortium to bring fractional ownership of heritage antiquities to the blockchain. My planet-wide talk show for people craving new stories by which to live is Casual Saints.
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

Interesting. Last night I was setting up a new laptop for someone and I experienced the same 3 hours offness that got fixed when I fiddled with the “set time zone”.  I just put it down to oddities of the setup. I could be that time.windows.com had a hiccup last night. In serverland we NEVER use time.windows.com and instead point our time sync to https://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi one of those servers.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-time-servers-windows-10

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Michael Austin
          AskWoody Plus

Merci, Susan. I’d a feeling someone else might have noticed it. It has been around 9 human years since I had to keep an eye peeled on the mixed-OS LAN I built and maintained. And back then the Windows time server was always reliable. Thanks for the links and I’ll look at them 😀

Finance, social and tech founder. Managing director of new crowd sourced games in pre-release development. Director on a new consortium to bring fractional ownership of heritage antiquities to the blockchain. My planet-wide talk show for people craving new stories by which to live is Casual Saints.
          wavy
          AskWoody Plus

That link has old instructions, the control panel icon would be “date and time” >> internet time >> change settings
          I thought this was accessible via the time clock in the notification panel (or what ever they call it today) ⏲😜

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
            b
            AskWoody MVP

That’s what it says. But Step 2 Clock, Language, and Region only applies if you start from the default Category view in Control Panel.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1263 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

b
        AskWoody MVP

In my Windows 10 ‘Date & time’, ‘Current date and time’ settings, I noticed that there are two radio buttons for ‘Set time zone automatically’.

The two switches are labeled differently, because time and time zone are different things.

Automatic time zone is set from your IP address. Do you use a VPN?

Windows does try to set the time zone based on the location of the device, but without a GPS that location is based more on heuristics, e.g. the IP address on the internet being used.

Configuring time zones

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1263 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Michael Austin
        AskWoody Plus

Velly helpful, b. I didn’t know those things. I seldom use a VPN and it was off during the symptoms.

BATcher
        AskWoody_MVP

I have occasionally found a one-hour effect like that described when dual-booting Windows 10 and a Linux distro on one PC, but Windows automatically restores the correct UK time fairly rapidly.

I believe it happens (to my PCs) only when Linux is working on GMT/UTC and Windows on British Summer Time.  {Your Experience May Vary}

BATcher

Plethora means a lot to me.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Window 10 Time Server Fail

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.