News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Window 11 Installation Failed

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 11 » Questions about Windows 11 » Window 11 Installation Failed

Author
    Topic

I tried to update to Windows 11 through Windows Update.  MS said my machine is ready.  The installation failed with “windows 11 failed to install – 0xc1900101” and reverted back to Windows 10.  I have researched the error and most suggest a driver issue.

My question is related to my configuration of Windows 10.  I have two physical drives and have moved the documents, music, photos, downloads and videos user folders to the d: drive to save space on my solid state c: drive.  Will this configuration stop the Windows 11 installation?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Your configuration should not cause the problem you stated.

Have you checked for an updated UEFI/BIOS?

Are your drivers up-to-date?

Are you running a third-party A/V?

--Joe

Thanks for the quick reply.  My Dell Xps 8949 is less than a year old; bios and drivers have been updated as has Windows 10 home Version 21H1
        Installed on ‎4/‎23/‎2021
        OS build 19043.1288
        Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0.

No third party anti-virus–just Windows Security and Malwarebytes anti-malware (free).

It may be beneficial to know what the exact PC model/make is in question for all concerned.

| Quality over Quantity |

Thanks for your help and interest in my problem.  I was just wondering about configuring user folders to the mech. drive, off the boot drive–if it would crash the installation; but here is the info you requested.  The machine is less than a year old and MS says it’s ready for the upgrade.  Not so, I guess…

Dell XPS 8940 with 1 TB ssd (c:) and 1 TB mech. drive (d:); 32 GB of ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, Intel Core i7-10700 cpu.

Edition Windows 10 Home (64 bit)
        Version 21H1
        Installed on ‎4/‎23/‎2021
        OS build 19043.1288
        Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Well, as you have Malwarebytes Anti-malware installed and running, this is classed as a 3rd party AV and would recommend uninstalling it and re-install once the upgrade is complete.
          Don’t worry, you still have defender watching over..
          Once REMOVED shutdown the PC.
          (don’t restart you may have fast-start on which is useless for troubleshooting.)
          Then boot up from cold and try the upgrade process once again.

| Quality over Quantity |

Well, as you have Malwarebytes Anti-malware installed and running, this is classed as a 3rd party AV and would recommend uninstalling it and re-install once the upgrade is complete.
            Don’t worry, you still have defender watching over..

Malwarebytes Free is not installed as primary AV for real-time protection.

Once REMOVED shutdown the PC.
            (don’t restart you may have fast-start on which is useless for troubleshooting.)
            Then boot up from cold and try the upgrade process once again.

Shutdown followed by boot up from cold uses Fast Start, but restart does not.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1387 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

I have actually seen this link to appuals.com and have checked off all except the .net suggestion and the realtek driver situation.  Thanks for your help!

Even though your configuration should not cause a problem you could try resetting the system folders to their default location for the duration of the install. Then change them back to your settings after a successful installation.

--Joe

Joe,

I tried some other suggestions and tried install #2, which failed again; this time with “invalid data access trap” stop error.  I researched this error and found a guy who had user folders set up on drive d: like I have.  His Windows 11 installation also failed with the same errors, so I’m going to restore default locations for my user folders, like you suggested.  He said a Windows update fixed the problem, but from what I have found, it may well be that there is a “data access trap” keeping the installation from completing.  I’ll let you know what I find on installation #3…

Thanks for your interest.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: Window 11 Installation Failed

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.