News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Window 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional Upgrade on same laptop

Posted on Mark2019 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Window 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional Upgrade on same laptop

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Mark2019 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

Mark2019
      AskWoody Lounger
      I have used Windows 7 professional for several years and purchased many third party software programs designed for Windows 7 professional operating system on my current Lenovo ThinkPad T420s laptop computer. When I upgrade to Windows 10 professional on the same laptop, should I back up everything on an external hard drive before proceeding to Upgrade to Windows 10 professional? Does Microsoft have a software tool to transfer all my Windows 7 software programs over to Windows 10 professional? What is the best method to transfer everything to Window 10 professional? I’m not entirely sure on the best way to transfer over all my information (( data files in various formats, many software programs, settings, IE favorite websites, Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.)) to Windows 10 professional on the same laptop. Please advise or give me a link to investigate.
      Thank You,
      Mark
    • #1739518 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Lenovo ThinkPad T420s laptop computer.

Lenovo ThinkPad T420s isn’t Windows 10 compatible :

https://support.lenovo.com/en/solutions/ht507291

If you insist you probably won’t find drivers for you hardware components.

p.s Going forward with installing Windows 10 ?

1. Take a full image backup of all partitions. Don’t use Microsoft for the task. Use 3rd party apps like free Macrium Reflect : https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree , or paid Acronis True Image : https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/… there are many others.

2. During the upgrade Windows 10 will backup your C drive (OS , applications, data..) to a Windows.OLD folder. You will have 14 days to uninstall Windows 10 and restore Windows 7.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by
         Alex5723.
      • #1745665 Reply

Mark2019
        AskWoody Lounger

Thank you for your response. I will have to investigate this issue further.  Although Lenovo does not list the Lenovo ThinkPad T420s as one of the tested units I would think this PC should still be compatible. I already have Macrium Reflect installed. I thought Windows 10 was more user friendly with older PCs. Lenovo supplies the required drivers?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Window 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional Upgrade on same laptop

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.