Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • windows 10 1803 battery not charging after update

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1803 – April 2018 Update windows 10 1803 battery not charging after update

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  table 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

table
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi, I hope I’m posting in the right place.
      I’ve got windows 10 Home so I’ve been forced to update to 1803 which happened a couple of weeks ago.
      I’ve been busy since and hadn’t really been on it much so the 10 days has gone so I can’t revert back.
      My battery was perfectly fine and would run for a few hours but now since the 1803 update it says ‘plugged in, not charging’ and its on 0%

I googled it and there are other people who are saying the same, to be honest I thought there would be alot more.

Has anyone here had anything like this since the 1803 update and does anyone know how I could get round this?

I’ve tried all the usually uninstalling battery driver in system devices and removing battery etc…but nothing is helping.

It’s a HP pavillion 15-ab150sa notebook, AMD A8-7410 (windows 10 home 64bit)

thanks for any help and sorry if this is in the wrong place.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #202426 Reply

Microfix
      AskWoody MVP

It looks like a specific W10 v1803 issue as it seems to be happening to various models and manufacturers:

Microsoft forums

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in to help you with W10 but MSFT may fix this come next patch Tuesday (tomorrow 10th July) Best to wait and see..

| 2x Group A- W8.1 | Group A+ Linux Hybrid | Group W W7 Pro | Group W XP Pro
        No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #202433 Reply

Microfix
      AskWoody MVP

Try switching the laptop off, unplugging the power, remove the battery then whilst off, hold the power button in for 30 seconds.
      Then replace the battery and plug in power cord and start up laptop.

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #202545 Reply

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

There have also been countless recalls for laptop batteries over the years by HP and others.

Perhaps checking to see if your device may be affected: HP Battery Recalls

If affected, you’ll get a brand new battery, as I did for a client.

• #202453 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

@table HP pavillion 15-ab150sa notebook ahhhh got an HP 15-ac018ca sitting here with a dead battery similar deal methinks, only this occurred under 1709.
      I slapped a new SSD in last December and things were fine until about February (normal power and Battery recharge cycles) then it stopped taking a charge and obviously died (the Battery). I have tried all the usual even “cracking the top” again checking (ribbon)cables, components “seating” ever so care fully, all the standard battery resuscitation tricks inc HP’s tips and utils, even @microfix ‘s excellent advice to no avail What few circuit diagrams I could find don’t show the presence of a “Battery charge” fuse, not that I was expecting one any way; Hesitent to crack the top again and hit the machine with a volt meter as one wrong setting on the meter and you could fry the board.
      So herby hangs the dilemma splash out for a new battery, surprisingly not to much, is it a charging fault? will this happen again? is it a bad batch of Batteries? (seemingly likely) or the OS? (another strong possibility). Found nothing on the Web specific to the Model which was around 2015 Win8.1 as the original OS from HP new. Best I can advise is really to try and see if you get some one to look at it who knows what theyre doing, unless you have warranty options avial. extended etc. Beware of spurious “ohh its your Motherboard, you’ll need a new one” claims unless its you travelling companion then its possible you’ll have to make decision, either well wrapped in “Checked Bagggage” (and I mean well wrapped!) or functioning (with working Battery) in your Cabin carry on Luggage. A failed Battery is not a sign of the whole machine on the brink of failure, normally, but can be. I have known many “Lappies” run for years with “Dead Batteries” just fine. Although important Data should maybe, from this point forward, be backed up as and when finished working with it say a USB, external Storage all the usual strategies. Hope this sheds some light and or Helps, on this for you. I did post this reply and this comment on 26 06 18 I don’t think there’s anything too helpful here as it refers to Win7 in a different topic, although could be symptoms of a new trend with Win10;

• #202525 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

It could be coincidence and the battery / charge circuit has just died.
      Test it by turning the laptop off, remove the battery for 10 minutes, replace the battery and then connect the charger (leave the laptop turned off). The battery should charge and the charge lights should indicate status.
      You could run the manufacturers diagnostics to test the battery / charge circuit.

cheers, Paul

• #202526 Reply

Ascaris
      AskWoody MVP

Can you shut the laptop down and charge it while it’s off?  Then the OS won’t make any difference.

• #202549 Reply

table
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi thanks to eveyone for replying.

Ive tried all the suggestions without any success .

I also checked my battery against ones that were being recalled.

Doing a battery check it says the battery is good.

Last time i used it on battery power it was ok for hours.

I think ill have to wait until either more people get the same problem and complain or wait for a fix.

Like someone said it could be a coincidence that a perfect battery died the moment i upgraded.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: windows 10 1803 battery not charging after update

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.