News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 1903 slow download fast upload Solved

Posted on lawyerone Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Networking – routers, firewalls, network configuration Windows 10 1903 slow download fast upload Solved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alex5723 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

lawyerone
      AskWoody Plus

I inadvertently updated windows 10 to 1903. Upon the install of the update, my internet download speed dramatically became slower than molasses while my update speed was as expected. After utilizing Safe Mode with Network, my speeds were as expected. After much commiserating, frustration, and research, I determined that the culprit had to be a driver or program. I found the culprit to be SmartByte Network Service. I found this by disabling it and immediately my speeds were as expected (without a restart!). I then downloaded the most recent version from their website, and, lo and behold, all was well. I understand that many manufacturers add SmartByte in an effort to increase network speeds. If you don’t want to bother with SmartByte Network Service, simply delete it. Problem Solved. At least for this one Microsoft issue…

Edit: HTML removal – Please use the ‘Text’ tab in the post entry box when you copy/paste.

• #1907156 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

If you don’t want to bother with SmartByte Network Service, simply delete it. Problem Solved. At least for this one Microsoft issue…

If you delete the app it will reinstall automatically 🙁

https://www.dell.com/community/Networking-Internet-Bluetooth/Beware-of-SmartByte/td-p/6130892

This is another fake app that claim to “speed up” your internet connection.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 1903 slow download fast upload Solved

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.