News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 2004/20H2 Not Being Offered Due to Conexant HD Audio Issue

Posted on howardagoldberg Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows 10 2004/20H2 Not Being Offered Due to Conexant HD Audio Issue

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        howardagoldberg
        AskWoody Plus

Since July (or perhaps even earlier), Windows update has been warning/teasing me that the May Update is on the way, and will be downloaded when it’s ready for my system.

Well … I suspect the reason I have yet to be offered the update is some combination of these blocks:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004#377msgdesc

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004#417msgdesc

Both these blocks show up in the notes for both 2004 and 20H2. Looking at threads such as this > https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updating-to-windows-10-version-2004conexant/c98ac1c5-0ddb-4964-b50d-9b3720ac7122 … it’s pretty clear I am not alone, but there is no word on a resolution.

As I use the more advanced audio features the Dell has provided (INS 7353), I would rather not hack the block by installing generic drivers etc., but I am getting concerned I could run into a situation where my system will not be upgraded, ever … which does carry security and EOL issues. I have considered trying to force the update via the online update tool/media creation tool … but also not necessarily looking to tempt fate with a BSOD.

Does anyone here have insights as to why this block has not been resolved since May? Any thoughts on how one might proceed?

In device manager, the device is listed as ‘Conexant SmartAudio HD.’ Via device manager, Windows says I have the best drivers for my system installed. No new audio drivers are available from Dell, and talking with their support folks was sadly/predictable, not productive.

Thanks for any insights/suggestions!

• #2308059 Reply
        Susan Bradley
        Da Boss

It still says to hang tight as the vendor is coming up with a fix.  Let me ask around.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2308078 Reply
          howardagoldberg
          AskWoody Plus

Susan … thank you! I have a Dell XPS system from 2011 that is fully updated, so after almost seven months, I am beginning to get a bit impatient and considering forcing the upgrade. But, if a proper fix is actually in the works, I will exert some additional patience :-).

The system in question with the Conexant driver is a Dell Inspiron 7353 2-in-1. I’m on 1909.

• #2308178 Reply
        CraigS26
        AskWoody Plus

Howard’s 2nd link (MS Block announcement) shows [The affected driver will be named Conexant HDAudio Driver under Sound, video and game controllers in Device Manager and have versions 8.65.47.53, 8.65.56.51, or 8.66.0.0 through 8.66.89.00 for chdrt64.sys or chdrt32.sys.]……

My Ver does Not match their Numbering Scheme in that I have 3 #s in the 3rd group (ie) 8.65.282.54 Vs their 2 #s 8.65.47.53. Wondering if the MS “block” app is loosely blocking Any HD Audio VerSince my actual Ver # is NOT Named it’s either something else blocking us, the Announcement Left Out one # space in Affected Ver’s, or their Block App is blocking ALL Conexant Ver’s contrary to the Announcement data.

W10-64 1909 Pro / Hm-Stdnt Ofce '16 C2R / HP Envy Desktop-Ethernet/ 12 GB / 256G SSD + 1 TB HDD / i5-8400 Coffee Lake/ GP=2 + FtrU=Semi-Annual + Feature Defer = 1 + QU=0 + TRV = 2004

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 2004/20H2 Not Being Offered Due to Conexant HD Audio Issue

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.