News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 2004 and Office 2016 msi updates

Posted on ScotchNSoda Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 2004 – May 2020 Update Windows 10 2004 and Office 2016 msi updates

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Author
        ScotchNSoda
        AskWoody Lounger

I recently had to rebuild my Windows 10 machine due to a failed SSD.  I installed Windows 10 version 2004 as well as Office 2016 Pro Plus (installed MSI version).  When checking for updates via Windows Update, only Windows updates are downloaded and installed; no Office updates are downloaded or installed.  Windows Update reports ‘You’re up to date’.  Word reports the following version info:

Microsoft Word 2016 MSO (16.0.4266.1001) 64-bit

I already confirmed the Windows Update setting ‘Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows’ is enabled.  I know there are Office 2016 updates that should be installed.  Office 2016 is updating correctly on my other Windows 10 machine running version 1909.

I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and if there is a fix or workaround.

Thank you in advance!

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2274237 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Can you manually update?
        File\Account options\Update – update now

• #2274241 Reply
        ScotchNSoda
        AskWoody Lounger

Can you manually update?
        File\Account options\Update – update now

No, I checked and that option is not available.

• #2274246 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

One more question – has it been activated on that PC?

• #2274251 Reply
        ScotchNSoda
        AskWoody Lounger

One more question – has it been activated on that PC?

Yes, Office is successfully activated on the Windows 10 version 2004 machine.  It is also activated on my other Windows 10 version 1909 machine.

• #2274259 Reply
        ScotchNSoda
        AskWoody Lounger

I should also note that yesterday I rebuilt a family member’s PC with Windows 10 version 2004 and Office 2016 Pro Plus and Windows Update exhibits the same exact behavior as my machine (no Office updates download or install).  This leads me to believe this may be a larger issue, as it is affecting more than one machine.

• #2274365 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

Let’s see if we can get any confirmation.

See https://www.askwoody.com/2020/report-windows-2004-update-is-not-updating-office-2016-pro-plus-msi-installation/

• #2290825 Reply
        anonymous

I am having the same exact issues on multiple machines.

• #2307955 Reply
        rshay
        AskWoody Plus

I too am having this issue only on a 2004 machine.  Anybody know the fix?

• #2307972 Reply
          joep517
          AskWoody MVP

See the thread linked above by Woody.

--Joe

• #2308159 Reply
        rshay
        AskWoody Plus

See the thread linked above by Woody.

Thanks for responding Joe.  When I click Woody’s link it goes to a page that lists the issue but I don’t see any replies with a resolution.  Am I doing something wrong?

• #2308160 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

To see the discussion, click on “Comment on the AskWoody Lounge” link at the top of the post in the link above.

• #2308164 Reply
        rshay
        AskWoody Plus

To see the discussion, click on “Comment on the AskWoody Lounge” link at the top of the post in the link above.

Got it.  Thanks.

• #2311228 Reply
        rshay

I think I figured out what was going on.  On each computer I use configure I set Feature Updates to 365 days and Quality Updates to 30 days.  Since Windows 10 2004 doesn’t have the controls for these settings available, I used gpedit to set these values as Susan Bradley had outlined.  When the values are set in this manner, Office 2016 does not receive updates.  If the policies are left at ‘not configured’ then the Office updates are downloaded and installed.

Viewing 11 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 2004 and Office 2016 msi updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.