News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 20H1’s Disk Cleanup improvement..

Posted on Microfix Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 20H1’s Disk Cleanup improvement..

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alex5723 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

Microfix
      Da Boss

For those of us who are not ‘completely’ familiar with W10 feature improvements going forward i.e. previews, I came across an interesting article regarding the safety aspect of MSFT Disk Cleanup and also storage sense.

Microsoft understands that users can accidentally clean up the Downloads folder and Windows 10 20H1 update will revert this change. Build 19018 already removes Downloads folder from both tools – Disk Cleanup and Storage Sense../

extract from:
      https://www.windowslatest.com/2019/11/07/windows-10-20h1-disk-cleanup/

also found another:
      https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-to-remove-downloads-folder-from-disk-cleanup/

Good news IMO, download folders usually contain personal info/ collected stuff (I’ve seen it on lots of devices which can be removed accidentally using Disk Cleanup with the (forgotten) downloads folder selected within the utility.

I think this is a small step in the right direction, especially for W10 newbies..we’ve all done it at some point, hand up here.

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2001524 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

I think this is a small step in the right direction, especially for W10 newbies..we’ve all done it at some point, hand up here.

Hm, really, have to wonder …

I remember back when Sun Microsystems introduced that fun idea of “tmpfs” … as in /tmp that was just never written to regular disk (but might have temporarily resided in swap). And then, it was some browser… might have been a Netscape, earlyish version … that at least in some cases defaulted to /tmp as the location to download files to.

Wasn’t even “wiped on reboot”, it just was non-persistent storage by design.

(“Clean /tmp on reboot” was a boolean configurable on some UNIX systems.)

• #2002317 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Disk Cleanup improvement..

Improvement ? Regression.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 20H1’s Disk Cleanup improvement..

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel