• Windows 10 22H2 security updates since October are bricking USB printer

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Windows 10 version 22H2 » Windows 10 22H2 security updates since October are bricking USB printer

Author
    Topic

Hi,

Every security update since October 2022 has bricked my USB Kodak 5300 printer.  The reflexive response on Microsoft forums has been to remove all drivers and software and do a clean install of the printer.  Having to do this on a monthly basis is absurd, even if it would work, which doesn’t appear to be the case, at least not for a variety of different printers.

There was a reference to a situation where an update caused a duplicate printer, but that is not the situation for many of us apparently.

In my case Kodak has only ever had an online installer, which due to IP changes can no longer communicate with the files on the server.  Thus a fresh install of the printer is impossible (mentioned this to Kodak, but since the printer is discontinued…there was no response).

At the moment I must uninstall each offending update and then block it.  So…I can either have a secure (more) machine or a functional office…that stinks.

What common factors in these security updates have blocked communication with the printer?  Is there a reasonable work around?

Viewing 6 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I have had the best results by setting a static IP address on the printer (in the menu on the printer itself) so it doesn’t have to deal with the DHCP hide-and-go-seek every time changes are made on the computer.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ditto with what PK says about using IP address as connection.

Kodak Easyshare 5300 8804056 Wireless InkJet MFC / All-In-One Color Printer – Newegg.com

It looks like it supports wireless and USB.  If it can do wireless it can then it should be able to do a static IP address.

Go to the printer, find the setting in there where you can print out a diagnostic page and figure out what the IP address it is…or better yet… set it in the settings to be an IP address that fits your network.   Holler if you need help figuring this out.

Then I got into the printer settings and change whatever Microsoft THINKS the settings SHOULD be to what I WANT them to be and “add tcp/ip port” and enter in my static port.

Now here’s some tough love.  That is an old printer vintage 2007. Which is old in printer years.  You may want to buy yourself a new printer for a Christmas present.  The drivers I can only find on dodgy driver web sites.  It’s an old printer.  The reviews on amazon indicate wifi connections are iffy at best, it looks like it has no tcp/ip port for a network jack connection.  you will be fighting that printer for the rest of your life.  There comes a time when life is too short and you just have to ewaste these  things and go on with life.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Thank you for the information, however there is no mention of IP addresses and or wireless printing anywhere in either the settings or manual.  I suspect there was a later version of the 5300 that did. The diagnostic page had no mention of such either.

I wonder if the updates have closed a port necessary for the printer?

Port is USB001.

There is a sharing tab in printer properties, but that only works if the desktop that the printer is attached to is up and running.  I could print from the laptop in this scenario.

In the printer controls on the printer itself is there any wifi settings/network settings?

In the usb only ones I’ve helped out with, when you go into the port settings can you see if there is ANOTHER USB connection to pick?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Susan,

Nothing in the printer controls about network settings at all…I have confirmed that there were two versions of the 5300…mine is USB only.

There are a variety of Ports listed as attached.

Attachments:

Is there a different usb connection on your computer you can plug it into?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Susan,

Yes there is.  I have it plugged into one of the ports with a direct connection to the Motherboard as opposed to via a card or other hub.

The fact that after a security update install I can neither print nor even access the printer interface for settings indicates that the updates have been been doing something to the USB connection.  Oddly enough, every other USB item continues to work fine. Perhaps there is a communication protocol that is now considered insecure and that some older printers use that protocol? A straightforward list of incompatible printers would be preferred to this mystery if in fact that is the case. If it is a protocol issue, might there be a way to manually override whatever it is that the update blocks?

I have unplugged and uninstalled the printer after an update (without removing the drivers), and then reconnected it, had it discovered, setup and supposedly ready to go…but…while windows finds it and pairs it up with the appropriate drivers, nothing works.  Immediately after uninstalling the security update it works flawlessly…every single time.

Update!

After further testing, it appears that all of the offending updates disable the virtual USB001 port and even remove it from the list. This further supports a possible USB communications protocol issue with certain printers.  My brain is now mush.

Any ideas on how to override this particular aspect of the updates?  Would creation of a new virtual USB port result in it also being disabled by the updates?

A little more digging:

• If the driver for the USB printer contains a Language Monitor, the OpenPortEx callback function of the Language Monitor would not be called.  As a result, the user cannot fulfill operations dependent on the operation of the Language Monitor.
      • In the “Devices and Printers” control panel, when selecting [Print Server Properties] > [Port] tab, the port for the USB printer (such as “USB001”) would not appear in the list of printer ports.  As a result, the user cannot fulfill operations dependent on the existence of the port.

So, I have confirmed my test results.  I can find no mention of any solution on any board, Microsoft based or otherwise, but have found legions of folks with the same issue.

Someone suggested that plugging in the printer while it’s running would work, but since the printer installer configures the port that the updates kill, this port is not available in any event after the update install.  Windows however can still see the printer and states that it is set up and functional…but…not.

I realize a new printer is no doubt in my future, but I am one of those annoying folks who need to know how and why something works as it does.

Can you uninstall the printer and unplug it before the upgrade?

cheers, Paul

Paul,

I can unplug and uninstall the printer (aside from the software and drivers) prior to the security update install, however while Windows recognizes the printer when it is reconnected, the USB001 virtual port is still missing rendering communication with the printer impossible.

I cannot totally remove and reinstall the drivers and software as Kodak has only ever had an online installer, which due to Internet Protocol changes can no longer download and run the installers from the Kodak server.

Final update apparently:

Older USB printers use smart card (PIV) authentication, which is now considered a security risk.  After an initial grace period with a temporary allowance (now expired), all future security updates will render such printers and scanners incompatible with an updated Windows environment. My initial thoughts are now confirmed sadly.  The printer works flawlessly and affordable ink is still available.

The option to accept such a security situation would have been nice…having a manually available update that would allow PIV regardless of security updates could have been an option.  One could uninstall that update prior to installing a new printer.

When I upgrade the Motherboard and Processor to allow for the upgrade to Windows 11, it appears that a new printer will be needed as well. I have an additional security service on my router, so I will likely just continue blocking the security updates until the rebuild.

Thanks to all who spent time and effort on this.

I found what appears to be a kosher Kodak 5300 driver without the web requirement.
      VirusTotal info.

Download here: https://www.freeprinterdriverdownload.org/kodak-easyshare-aio-5300-driver/

cheers, Paul

Thanks Paul,

Sadly at this point, being able to reinstall the printer is likely a moot point.

I will grab the installer should I need it in the interim. It just annoys me to have to replace hardware that still works.

Off to research inkjet photo printers.

And not ones with usb ports only.

Sometimes you just have to stop bashing your head against the wall.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    Reply To: Windows 10 22H2 security updates since October are bricking USB printer

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: