Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 All-In-One For Dummies eBook at a breathtaking price

Home Forums AskWoody blog Windows 10 All-In-One For Dummies eBook at a breathtaking price

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  woody 6 days, 23 hours ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

The second edition ebook of Win10 All-In-One For Dummies is now appearing with an amazingly low price…. Zilch. Nada. Free as in beer. I don’t know h
      [See the full post at: Windows 10 All-In-One For Dummies eBook at a breathtaking price]

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #150627 Reply

anonymous

Well, I tried.  But, they wanted all kinds of information about a company.  I’m retired, so I just made up a company name, but then they kept asking questions, # of employees, main activity, etc.etc,etc. , so I finally just quit.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #150636 Reply

anonymous

Not free at all says I.

Sounds like a high price considering the information that I would have to provide. No indication as to what will be done with that information. Perhaps sell it to others as a mailing list? Could bring in big money at a buck a person. No thanks.

I already bought both a print copy and an e-book copy. The e-book copy is better in that it is in full color, not just black ink on paper.

Since the book is copyrighted, I assume that any copies distributed for free ought to still bring in revenue to the copyright holder(s).

= Ax Kramer

• #150676 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Correct on all points. You have to give out a lot of info, but the only key piece is a working email address – so they can email you the link.

(I’ll likely see a few pennies in income from the free distribution. Maybe enough for a Big Mac, but I’m not holding my breath.)

• #150694 Reply

HiFlyer
          AskWoody Lounger

Correct on all points. You have to give out a lot of info, but the only key piece is a working email address – so they can email you the link.

Google: “burner email addresses”

Blur – Free and Premium – unlimited masked emails – disposable.

https://dnt.abine.com/

Blur secures ALL the personal information you put online – making it safe, fast, and easy to login and checkout from your browser, phone, or tablet. Got questions …

• #150711 Reply

Schnarph
          AskWoody Lounger

Just to get this straight, they didn’t ask you or even tell you first. Did they ask the publisher, or anyone? What about copyrights, I.P., etc? Did your contract with the publisher have some funny business? One would expect they sell the gathered information required for the download, similar in effect to selling a bootleg. It’s one thing for Amazon to give away a kindle book for a limited time, but tradepub is probably making money this way. I’m trying to understand how this is even legal.

I didn’t expect you to post this on your blog/forum when I informed you last night. They could at least advertise this site and/or link methods to donate. I could have just grabbed a free copy assuming you already knew, but since I donate here it would be hypocritical not to pay for the book as well.

Please let us know if they pay you anything at all.

EDIT:

Their privacy policy reads like a “we will do everything we can to collect and sell your privacy” policy. The modern day Dante would have special level in cyber’ell for those people.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Schnarph.
          • #150758 Reply

woody
            Da Boss

HA! An eighth ring, no doubt….

Yes, the publishers arrange with distributors like these for giveaways. Nope, nobody warned me about it, but it makes sense.

And even though you didn’t ask 🙂 , I might be wrong, but I don’t think the Wiley folks get the logon info.

• #150656 Reply

AJNorth
      AskWoody Lounger

‘Got mine through an offer to my subscription to The Hacker News on Tuesday, 2017.12.05 (97.69 MB; 1,008 pages). Many thanks, Boss!

(Of course for the foreseeable future, this site and gHacks are about as close as I shall come to the Über OS… .)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #150650 Reply

anonymous

Too much business information required for what is essentially a home users book.

I quit too.

• #150702 Reply

samak
      AskWoody Lounger

The trade.pub website doesn’t seem to require any information if you’ve ever downloaded something from them before and use the same e-mail address.
      Not that I ever intend to go near Windows10 but if it brings in some revenue to Woody by downloading it then that’s fine by me.

W7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, Office 2010, Group B, non-techie

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #150742 Reply

anonymous

Do you ever or other authors find out how these deals are made for your books?

• #150771 Reply

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

I removed the download details. Sorry.    — Woody

(Thanks for the sentiment, but the PDF is offered free under some sort of contractual arrangement with the Dummies people.)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  woody.
    • #150819 Reply

anonymous

FWIW the offer is on Bits du Jour today.  Still sends you to the same site as the other offer, asks far too much information for me to fill in, especially since (1) I’m retired, and (2) I still try to protect some shred of online privacy whenever I can.

• #150859 Reply

Schnarph
      AskWoody Lounger

While doing my daily check for new programs, updates, and other news on majorgeeks today, they have a page posting a link to another giveaway of Windows 10 for Dummies on Bleeping Computer.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/windows_10_all_in_one_for_dummies2nd_edition_available_for_free.html

Like tradepub, it requires entering a “work” email address to get the link but no other information AFAIK.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Schnarph.
      • #150886 Reply

HiFlyer
        AskWoody Lounger

“While doing my daily check for new programs, updates, and other news on majorgeeks today, they have a page posting a link to another giveaway of Windows 10 for Dummies on Bleeping Computer.”

The Bleeping Computer link on Major Geeks goes directly to tradepub.com

https://bleepingcomputer.tradepub.com/free/w_wile251/prgm.cgi?a=1

Same detailed form needed. “Valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this content.”

See: #150694 above to finesse it

• #150895 Reply

Schnarph
      AskWoody Lounger

“While doing my daily check for new programs, updates, and other news on majorgeeks today, they have a page posting a link to another giveaway of Windows 10 for Dummies on Bleeping Computer.”

The Bleeping Computer link on Major Geeks goes directly to tradepub.com https://bleepingcomputer.tradepub.com/free/w_wile251/prgm.cgi?a=1 Same detailed form needed. “Valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this content.” See: #150694 above to finesse it

Thanks, but I already corrected my mistake with an edit/strikethrough about 2 hours before you quoted my post. About an hour after the edit I checked this page again and didn’t see my edit either, it took a couple of page refreshes to catch up. There are still some delayed caching issues going on around here.

Anyways, when I went to bleepingcomputer it appeared as if it only wanted an email address, I didn’t check before posting here. After testing it by entering a disposable address, the page loads all the other “personal” info questions.

My bad.

• #151284 Reply

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

FWIW I just put a bunch of dumb/fake info in the contact fields and it accepted it.
      It did get stuck on the phone number, but I searched for “disposable phone numbers” which led me to a site with cell/text numbers, and the first one I tried was accepted by the giveaway site.
      You can also use disposable email addresses (many sites offer them) as well. They email you a link to download the PDF of the guide.

• #151312 Reply

anonymous

Also available at usual “discount” sources without asking for info.

• #151323 Reply

HiFlyer
        AskWoody Lounger

Also available at usual “discount” sources without asking for info.

How ’bout a link or two?

• #151337 Reply

woody
          Da Boss

I believe he’s talking about torrents.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 All-In-One For Dummies eBook at a breathtaking price

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.