News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Windows 10 clean install

• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

I was having issues when I got my laptop back from HP.  So, I decided I wanted to do a clean install.

What I thought I could do was restore a Macrium Reflect image of just the activated Windows 10, including software that had reg limits (only one install ).

The HP guy told me that a restoration of one of my Macrium Reflect images did not always remove/replace all the “pieces” present from the current setup, and perhaps one of the “pieces” left behind could be the culprit causing my problem. To do what I was trying to do would require doing a total (long) format, as opposed to a quick format, and that in fact the “usual” format command didn’t really do that, and it would take some Microsoft tool to really erase everything on the drive, and that THEN I could do a clean restore of my activated Windows 10 with the registered software

Is that true?

Chuck Billow

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

The ‘HP guy’ was correct inasmuch that using a previous image backup is NOT a clean install.. it’s a restore. They’re different.

A previous image backup may just restore the very same behaviour that you’re trying to recover from.

A clean install, wiping previous partitions so Windows can use ‘unallocated space’, is a true clean install.

Hope this helps clear any misconceptions…

BTW – Don’t worry about re-activation. Your Windows 10 digital license is stored on MS servers, not on your device, so will re-activate automatically the first time your HP device connects to the internet.

TaskForce141
        AskWoody Lounger

I can tell you that is the story for a Dell on Win 7 or 8.1. You have to upgrade the existing operating system to activate Win 10, then blow away everything on that disk, and then install fresh.

Here’s the link to Dell’s instructions:
        https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000125245/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-using-the-microsoft-windows-10-media-creation-tool

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

You don’t need to clean re-install if you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7, 8.1.

Rick Corbett
          AskWoody_MVP

You have to upgrade the existing operating system to activate Win 10, then blow away everything on that disk, and then install fresh.

That’s not actually accurate (nor is the info in the Dell link). You can grab the current activation and save it, clean install then copy the previous activation back again for the installation to activate automatically. Have a look at this TenForums How to Directly Clean Install Windows 10 without having to Upgrade First tutorial for further details.

Hope this helps…

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The HP guy told me that a restoration of one of my Macrium Reflect images did not always remove/replace all the “pieces” present from the current setup

It does if you wipe the disk first.
        Delete the partitions and then restore will get to back to the exact point at which you made the image.

As always, make an image backup first.

cheers, Paul

CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

OK, thanks all.  And Paul, thanks because that certainly will save time on the restore!

Chuck Billow

Stephanie_Sy
        AskWoody Lounger

i just got my xps 15 9550, performed a clean install of win10, kept it on RAID in the bios and loaded the IRST driver during the Win10 install

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Windows 10 clean install

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.