News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 Finding and Exporting 3rd Party Unknown Drivers

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 Finding and Exporting 3rd Party Unknown Drivers

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mixer 1 month ago.

• Author

mixer
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi:

I recently had an aggravating situation with a Windows 10 clean installation that was driver related with Device Manager reporting unknown devices.

What I found out, is that if the machine is online (connected to the net), Windows 10 will normally “scrape” the net and download any missing drivers and install them.  It’s a pretty similar to some other OS’s.

In my case, the machine was offline at the time of OS installation.  It was simple to install Windows 10 with a USB device, but what about the unknown device drivers ?  I still wanted those drivers, and it would be nice to have a backup of them.  Keep in mind that I had manually searched for the drivers both at the manufacturer website and on the internet without any results.

After searching the web for a answer I could understand with my rather limited technical skills, here is my rather convoluted solution.

1.With Device Manager still reporting the unknown devices, I used the following elevated command and saved all the drivers to a directory I had previously created.  In this case:  DriversOld

dism /online /export-driver /destination:” D:\DriversOld “

(You’d want to change the path and directory to whatever you create)

2.Then, I connected to the internet and allowed Windows 10 to download and install the 3rd party drivers that I was missing.

3.Next, with Device Manager now reporting that the unknown devices now had drivers,  I used the same elevated command and saved all the drivers to different separate directory I had previously created.

dism /online /export-driver /destination:” D:\DriversNew “

4.The result was that I had two directories “Old” and “New” that I could compare.  This allowed me to quickly identify the drivers that had been downloaded automatically and save those folders for future use.

Mike

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by  mixer.
      1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 Finding and Exporting 3rd Party Unknown Drivers

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.