News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Windows 10 Home and Pro Support Dates

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 Home and Pro Support Dates

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Simon_Weel
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 10 Home and Pro – start date 07/29/2015 – end date 10/14/2025

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

2 users thanked author for this post.
        b
        AskWoody MVP

The 10/14/2025 end date for Windows 10 support has been known since its release six years ago:

All editions of Windows 10 get 10 years of updates, support [Computerworld | JUL 17, 2015]

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1151 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Ascaris
          AskWoody MVP

There was a period in between 1507 and the present when MS embraced their “last version of Windows” promise and did away with the 2025 end date on their site. I was aware of the 2025 end date from the beginning of Windows 10, as I referenced the MS article mentioning it several times in various posts, in response to the idea that Windows 10 was going to be the last version ever as MS had said it would.

I made one such post a few years ago, and again I pasted the same URL as I had before for support, but as I try to always do, I visited the link first to make sure it still said the same thing I thought it did. This time, it didn’t, and the “end date” of Windows 10 on the MS page had been replaced by the end dates for each build that was current at that time, as if each were a separate product (which it was, more or less). I was unable at that time to find any current document from Microsoft that specified an end date to Windows 10 as a whole.

The observation that they went back to the end date for Windows 10 (without a build number) is notable, as it does suggest strongly that the “Windows 10 forever” plan has been dropped.

When MS made the announcement, by making Windows 10 the “last Windows ever,” they effectively changed the ongoing name of the platform from “Windows” to “Windows 10,” much as Apple’s OSX (based on “Mac OS 10,” which would have been the name with the old naming scheme) became the generic name for the OS and platform as a whole until they dropped the “ten forever” schema and re-renamed it back to MacOS once again.

All this change would really mean is that MS is changing the ongoing platform name back to “Windows” instead of “Windows 10.” Ten’s a nice round number, but marketers want something new to promote, and names like “20H2” aren’t likely to generate the excitement they want.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.4 User Edition)

Simon_Weel
        AskWoody Plus

Darn, thought I had a scoop!

oldfry
        AskWoody Plus

This is news to me.Β  I can’t believe I have to update to another Windows before I drop dead.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Windows 10 Home and Pro Support Dates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.