News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows 10 Home – manual updates?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Windows 10 Home – manual updates?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        va1der
        AskWoody Plus

I just read about WAU Manager in this thread.  On all my systems I have been using a combination of Windows Update Mini Tool with Windows Update Blocker for service control and Security Service Editor to give myself control of the host of “uncontrollable” services that have to be blocked to assert manual control of my computer.

WAU Manager claims to give the end user one-stop-shopping total control of the update process, including blocking automatic updates.  As it stands, I use a custom script to start services and run WUMT, and even then it’s a race between WUMT applying only the updates I want, and Windows seeing that its update services are unblocked and downloading everything in the background.  I’d love to have one stop shopping for this and be able to do it safely, but I’m a little skeptical.  I don’t want to loosen the reins on WUB only to find that I’ve lost control of update.

Does anyone else use WAU Manager on Windows Home editions?  Does it indeed do as it claims?

• #2280282 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

We (at Woody’s) recommend WUShowHide from Microsoft along with metered connections. It allows you to hide updates you don’t want.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows 10 Home – manual updates?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.